DrJB

Seemingly Redundant Parts and those of Very Little Use?

We've all 'wished' at one time or another, for the need of special parts. Yet today, there seems to be some redundancy across all those parts available to us. In addition to those below, can you think of other parts you could do 'without' ?

48496.jpg vs. 87408.jpg

42003.jpg vs. 32068.gif

3713.gif vs. 2× 4265c.gif

x1192px3.gif vs. 60176.jpg vs. 89652.jpg vs. 93571.jpg vs. 32174.gif

On the other hand, what parts do you have in your collection that you have very little use for? And thus, could gladly do without as well.

First two are different, the left one allows much tighter bewel gear housing than the bigger newer one.

Seond ones are also different, the right one is useful for steering and making worm gear housing without gears scraping on the connector.

Dunno for bionicle joint connectors though.

First two are different, the left one allows much tighter bewel gear housing than the bigger newer one.

Second ones are also different, the right one is useful for steering and making worm gear housing without gears scraping on the connector.

Agreed, that is why I said 'seemingly'. By this I meant it would not be that big of a hassle if one is discontinued.

[...] what parts do you have in your collection that you have very little use for? And thus, could gladly do without as well.

Some of the below pictured parts have already been mentioned in other threads, but it bears repeating how utterly defeating it is to see something interesting, and think "OOH that part has POTENTIAL" and then fail to find an application for it.

20150414_164048.jpg

Impulse buys, the lot of them. Currently bidding on ebay for some imagination to get my money's worth out of 'em.

the strange light L shaped brick is really useful to keep gears in places (3 gears chain) I used it in my molotov baikal to make the gearbox more strong, but it could be useful in every veichle that requires one motor, a central transmission and some axles :3

I found a good use for the lightgrey round piece at the bottom. My teaser MOC uses 24 of them...

the strange light L shaped brick is really useful to keep gears in places (3 gears chain) I used it in my molotov baikal to make the gearbox more strong, but it could be useful in every veichle that requires one motor, a central transmission and some axles :3

Which part do you mean?

The reasoning behind the Bionicle pieces are different, the first one is useful, and the reasoning behind the other ones could be caused by attempting to fix a cracking issues, as I have had Bionicle joints crack over time, just because of the force exerted from the ball joint.

here's a couple parts that have a single usage

41753.png

4247658.jpg

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

Rubber Band Holder

Were you able to use this (and its sister) for other than holding rubber bands?

41752.gif41753.gif

Edited by DrJB

I found a good use for the lightgrey round piece at the bottom. My teaser MOC uses 24 of them...

I don't have that lightgrey part, I use this gear in substitute for that part. It's a good part and very useful indeed seeing that you used 24 of them.

32498.gif?0

The sixteen stud links make excellent lower links in a 4-link suspension.

The black pieces up and to the left of the 16 links could be used to connect a 5x7 frame to either the portal hubs or another hub.

v/r

Andy

The reasoning behind the Bionicle pieces are different, the first one is useful, and the reasoning behind the other ones could be caused by attempting to fix a cracking issues, as I have had Bionicle joints crack over time, just because of the force exerted from the ball joint.

My son's Bionicle socket pieces have cracking problems too.

I used the 16 link in two of my mocs as links. They look better than liftarms, it's a shame they don't come in LBG so they look old and dirty near LBG pieces.

The sixteen stud links make excellent lower links in a 4-link suspension.

The black pieces up and to the left of the 16 links could be used to connect a 5x7 frame to either the portal hubs or another hub.

v/r

Andy

They can be used for front suspension bridges as well between the lower A-arms, giving a stiff chassis with lots of engine room

For the big, grey L-shaped frame, they can be used perfectly for suspension modules, into which you can mount double wishbones, shocks as well as strut towers.

My upcoming moc will feature a few of the above pieces... Coming soon

Some of the below pictured parts have already been mentioned in other threads, but it bears repeating how utterly defeating it is to see something interesting, and think "OOH that part has POTENTIAL" and then fail to find an application for it.

Impulse buys, the lot of them. Currently bidding on ebay for some imagination to get my money's worth out of 'em.

Mahjqa uses most of these parts in his various creations. I personally love the old bionicle frames.

I used the 16 link in two of my mocs as links. They look better than liftarms, it's a shame they don't come in LBG so they look old and dirty near LBG pieces.

You're in luck then, because the new crawler crane has them in LBG.

Personally, I do not understand why Lego retooled the bionicle ball joints to make the side of the joints thinner, as if that would help the breaking issue. The other ball joint piece is something I wish they'd bring back, as not only does it have rubber inserts, it can connect in different way than the old joint. I don't think there is such a thing as a completely useless part. Even if I don't use them very often, I still use studded beams, and other stuff like that.

Actually, I can think of one redundant part. The new, double sided 16z clutch gear. Why does this need to exist? Any person who would not be paying enough attention to put the gear in backwards is not somebody who would be in the Technic demographic anyway, so it does not really need to exist. Also, why is it eye searing red?

You're in luck then, because the new crawler crane has them in LBG.

You both are speaking about this part, right?

We've all 'wished' at one time or another, for the need of special parts. Yet today, there seems to be some redundancy across all those parts available to us. In addition to those below, can you think of other parts you could do 'without' ?

48496.jpg vs. 87408.jpg

42003.jpg vs. 32068.gif

x1192px3.gif vs. 60176.jpg vs. 89652.jpg vs. 93571.jpg vs. 32174.gif

On the other hand, what parts do you have in your collection that you have very little use for? And thus, could gladly do without as well.

A lot of parts my seem redundant, but actually have a use. Using one bushing vs. two half bushings is useful b/c one bushing has space for gear teeth to go between it whereas two half bushings do not.

Earlier there was a discussion, (I can't remember where) about the parts listed in the second row of the above post which articulated the difference between the two and how they are applied differently. Anyone who recalls this conversation could elaborate.

I have got most parts as in the picture in gnac's post and had no idea what to do with them. The 16l links come back in the 42042 crane.

......because the amount of money that goes into making new molds I am sure TLG doesn't create these different parts whilly-nilly. I could be wrong..... but I am sure redundancy is very much frowned upon by the business aspect of the company. There is likely a lot of research and study that goes into the thinking and planning of new molds. There probably is a use or rational some way or another that perhaps we are not all aware of for these different parts....

Same space, but different grip on the axle (the second one coupled are more stronger, very useful in some cases).

Edited by MrTekneex

Which part do you mean?

the lightgray one at the top of the picture, check into mt topics ti se how i've implemented it in the truck ;)

I just used that 16L link in my latest MOC! I got 8 of them in 1999 with the Y-Wing, and I hadn't used them for 15 years. It was a joyous moment when I found I needed a link of (almost) exactly that length.

What amazes me is how useful I find many of the new parts when they are released! Some of them I can't imagine how I ever managed to live without :laugh:

48496.jpg vs. 87408.jpg

I have several of both, but I almost exclusively use #2, as it feels like it's more secure, and also allows 20 tooth bevel gears to be used. In some cases, when space is limited, #1 might be the only option.

Also, didn't you create a topic much like this half a year ago?

EDIT:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102595

Edited by D3K

What amazes me is how useful I find many of the new parts when they are released! Some of them I can't imagine how I ever managed to live without :laugh:

Likewise, and that is why many of the new parts are often rather pricey on BrickLink, as it seems they is always a high demand for them when they're first introduced.

Also, didn't you create a topic much like this half a year ago?

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=102595

I had forgotten about that thread. Though, when I started this one, I was thinking solely about 'redundant' parts. I added the second part just to gather more opinions.

So, since when you joined the duplicate thread police? :grin:

Edited by DrJB