MikeMo

[MOC] TIE Advanced X1 TIE/X1 <+> Darth Vader's TIE

EDITED April 25th with updated pics and detail.. For those of you who have seen my MOC earlier, I have since streamlined the wings, shortened the rear deck, and added some detail. Hope you enjoy, and please keep the comments coming!!

Let me start by saying there are some truly amazing builds of the TIE Advanced X1 out there, and although I have not mentioned anyone in specific, please know that you were all inspiration in some form or another. The intent of my build was threefold - 1) playability/swooshability. I have a soon to be 4-yr old who, like me, loves LEGO and Star Wars so this ship had to be able to stand up to a bit of swooshing and scene reenactment - the ship had to be strong! 2) I wanted it to fit the style and scale of set 9492 TIE Fighter and 9493 X-Wing primarily, and be minifig scale. 3) Screen accuracy and detail. I wanted it to have a level of detail and style that bridged the gap between traditional and UCS LEGO sets.

This is my second post here, and my first true MOC. Please feel free to comment, offer constructive criticism and/or just plain appreciate my build. Hope you enjoy!

Introducing MOC TIE Advanced X1

IMG_6296_zpsxd2rnsgi.jpg

Yes it's been done before, and I'm sure we'll see more renditions of the Sith Lord's personal craft in the future....

IMG_6281_zpsq8voglw3.jpg

It all started when I attempted to buy set 8017 off my local kijiji/craigslist. The price was $25 including minifig and booklet. After I had made arrangements to go pick the set up, the seller jacked the price to $50 due to 'lots of interest'.

I politely declined the $50 price tag, and decided I may as well build my own. The rest is history, as they say.

If you haven't already noticed, it looks quite different than set 8017.

IMG_6298_zpsjcnzeyfy.jpg

After reviewing the instructions and parts list for set 8017 I figured I could make a few 'improvements'.

The hull is inspired by set 75082 TIE Advanced Prototype.

IMG_6286_zpsk8qqmbw9.jpg

Rear 3/4 view

IMG_6291_zps6jsw6nvb.jpg

The hull looks incredibly tiny from this angle, but it's just a camera 'trick' throwing the perspective off. I do like the silhouette from this angle though, it really does look like it could fly!

IMG_6292_zps1babgvvf.jpg

The ship is incredibly sturdy as it rests on its Solar Array wings, so sturdy I can rest another ship of equal size on top of it without it buckling or breaking. The wing detents not only position the wings at the appropriate angle, they provide ample support. There are also support 'shelves' built into each wing to help bear the weight of the rear of the ship. No saggy LEGO here.

IMG_6323_zps2obood2q.jpg

I also built a stand.

IMG_6306_zpsnmqfpfnj.jpg

The stand was styled after the stand for LEGO UCS 7181 using a square peg as the primary support.

The secondary support is not necessary however as the stand and ship are quite sturdy. This allows me to rotate the ship on the primary support in 90 degree increments to change the ship's 'angle of attack'.

IMG_6308_zpspykcqzcg.jpg

I drew inspiration for the build from not only 8017, and 75082, but UCS 10175 TIE Advanced and 9492 TIE Fighter.

IMG_6312_zpsbaxjqrsg.jpg

Vader in cockpit, natural light gives the trans red bricks the appearance of illumination. (one of my last areas I want to revisit - the cockpit. Not happy yet with the controls of the ship)

IMG_6081_zpsswjbymol.jpg

Cockpit styled after UCS 10175

IMG_6325_zps4wy0kvqj.jpg

Vader displaying his pilot seat. It reclines a few degrees which allows ample room for the Sith Lord's helmet. Also, Lord Vader can sit comfortably while keeping his cape on.

IMG_6086_zpshqzfzrwp.jpg

My son (who is 3, going on 4 this year) requested that this version of Vader's TIE be able to accommodate an astromech droid, similar to set 9493 X-Wing. I know this is not 'screen accurate', but you try telling that to a 3 year old.

IMG_6230_zpsbuzeyk1k.jpg

I took the design a step further to increase 'play value'.

IMG_6226_zps6mjtdd0c.jpg

Drop in the 'shield generator', thread the pin, attach the droid's head..

IMG_6227_zpsaavqca4h.jpg

IMG_6302_zpspsqt8s9o.jpg

Then turn the dial on the underside to rotate your astromech droid's head around 'beep boop boop beep!' (Also, you can see the spring shooter missiles aka laser cannons, can be fired from under here as well.)

IMG_6322_zpskxmkb49i.jpg

So.. Shortly after I completed this MOC, I was able to get my hands on set 8017 for $25! Let's compare.

IMG_6319_zpsxrkwlvmv.jpg

Slightly larger yet still appropriate for minifigs, and better scaled to sets like 9492 TIE and 9493 X-Wing.

IMG_6317_zpspmx0bidg.jpg

Set 8017 is made of 251 pieces. I estimate my build to be somewhere between 700-900 pieces (with stand).

IMG_6318_zpsmjtparqq.jpg

IMG_6320_zps0cejk86s.jpg

I think Vader has something else to show us.

IMG_6231_zpsqitphgkc.jpg

IMG_6232_zpsuhxsxpze.jpg

IMG_6233_zpsbfvtx6sd.jpg

IMG_6234_zpsqpxc96nb.jpg

I made the ship completely modular, similar to such sets as 10175 and 9492, this also facilitates future modification/improvement as well as storage/transport.

IMG_6223_zpsfb29ncmj.jpg

IMG_6224_zpsiucvuaib.jpg

Thanks for looking, Hope you enjoyed and please comment!

IMG_6280_zpsd52wv0s7.jpg

IMG_6293_zps3s4xptep.jpg

Edited by MikeMo

Great job! Photos are high quality, and I like the overall size (the Vader's TIE set is a bit small) as well as the greebling on the interior of the solar panels (I've seen other people do that as well, using those hinge pieces, and I lifted that idea for my TIE Bomber). If I had to critique, I'd suggest switching to all black hinges where the solar panels bend inwards and changing out the light bluish gray bars for flat pieces on the edges of the solar panels, sort of like the TIE Fighter. I know there's no easy way for them to snap into place and they can flop around but it does improve the aesthetics.

Great job! Photos are high quality, and I like the overall size (the Vader's TIE set is a bit small) as well as the greebling on the interior of the solar panels (I've seen other people do that as well, using those hinge pieces, and I lifted that idea for my TIE Bomber). If I had to critique, I'd suggest switching to all black hinges where the solar panels bend inwards and changing out the light bluish gray bars for flat pieces on the edges of the solar panels, sort of like the TIE Fighter. I know there's no easy way for them to snap into place and they can flop around but it does improve the aesthetics.

Great minds think alike! I was just looking at the pics again and thought the same thing with those light bluish grey hinge pieces. I originally wanted the L bley hinges on the middle sections to help fill in the grey, but now with the aded tiles over top of them, they no longer need to be the same colour - black is now in order!

And yes, I'm not sure if i'm 100% happy with the 6L bars on the edges of the outer panels - it's kinda looks UCSesque, but it's the one part of the ship that is somewhat fragile to play. That being said, I thought about wrapping tile around the wings like others have done and how it's done in set 9492, however, it also becomes a stability issue with play and I want my son to be able to play with this MOC. Maybe I'll cave and go that route, I'll need to make another BL order haha!

Thanks for the suggestions and comments!!

Very nice TIE MikeMo! Better than mine I think :-).

I had exactly the same stability issue with 9492 tile wrapping stylean finally chosen the UCS style...

Edited by Geebee

Good job on this TIE Advanced MOC! I think the shape is great and very similar to the actual movie model. I like that you put a lot of thought into the play features. I want to make a TIE Advanced some day as well, It's inspiring to look at yours.

Looks great! The new cockpit piece makes building new Ties a joy. I love the back section, but I think you could shorten it just a tad. It looks a bit long. I love the modular sections, especially the droid and lightsaber holder. Very ingenious. I can't wait to see what else you build!

I like that you included a lot of play features in your build. The lightsaber storage was probably my favorite "surprise"! A really neat build with a ton of detailing and clearly lots of time and effort went into it. Your kid is in for a lot of fun builds in the future I'm sure!

Very nice TIE MikeMo! Better than mine I think :-).

I had exactly the same stability issue with 9492 tile wrapping stylean finally chosen the UCS style...

Still can't believe how similar our builds were without seeing yours prior haha!

Good job on this TIE Advanced MOC! I think the shape is great and very similar to the actual movie model. I like that you put a lot of thought into the play features. I want to make a TIE Advanced some day as well, It's inspiring to look at yours.

Appreciate the kind words, thanks! Definitely a fun ship to build, especially for the OT SW fan!

Looks great! The new cockpit piece makes building new Ties a joy. I love the back section, but I think you could shorten it just a tad. It looks a bit long. I love the modular sections, especially the droid and lightsaber holder. Very ingenious. I can't wait to see what else you build!

Yes, I agree 100% on the rear deck being a tad too long.. Having the astromech cockpit AND the lightsaber storage AND being modular did not allow me to shorten it up any more. I have a few options which I have actually been exploring which include:

a) removing the astromech cockpit altogether, but I have a 3-year old who will say this is not an option, lol

b) turning the astromech cockpit 'sideways' so the droid goes in with both legs facing forward (but then I have a new problem with the continuity of the rear spine of the deck)

c) 'fusing' the cockpit and rear deck in to one piece.

All of these come with their inherent set of issues to my current build, aesthetically, but sometimes this is where we discover new solutions/improvements! I figure the rear deck needs to be two bricks shorter to have the proper proportions..

I like that you included a lot of play features in your build. The lightsaber storage was probably my favorite "surprise"! A really neat build with a ton of detailing and clearly lots of time and effort went into it. Your kid is in for a lot of fun builds in the future I'm sure!

Thanks for the compliments, yes a lot of time went in to this build - more than I initially anticipated. It all started with plans to just add wings and a rear deck similar to 8017 onto the new Adv Prototype cockpit and pylons, and I kinda went crazy from there with revisions, modifications etc etc until very little of the Adv Prototype design remained.

Great moc.

Now I want a Tie Prototype to build this one.

Yes the prototype can be a great foundation with which to start. At the end of the day I may have been better off only buying the cockpit pieces from BL as that's all that seems to remain of the original set (with the exception of a few other tile and slope pieces). Even keeping the prototype hull and pylons and adding your own wings and rear deck looks great!

Great! Just great. One thing, the wings are too busy and thick imo

Thanks! So to pick your brain, what do you think it is exactly that makes the wings look too busy? is it the detailing on the inside? outside?

Also, where do the wings appear too thick?

I may be able to further update my design and appreciate all feedback. Cheers!

Great build! I'd love to have one of these in my collection. I can see all the work you put into it. Great scale next to the other TIE's also.

Edited by woodnman412

I love everything about your build, but I absolutely adore the inclusion of an astromech. I don't care the accuracy, this is a piece of art.

Best version I have seen in mining scale, especially with all the additional features you put into the build. You should be proud of yourself!

Thanks, I definitely have been getting a warm response which affirms the pride I have taken in this build!

Great build! I'd love to have one of these in my collection. I can see all the work you put into it. Great scale next to the other TIE's also.

Thanks! Yes I paid a lot off attention to the scale in relation to the 9492 TIE set. Cheers!

I love everything about your build, but I absolutely adore the inclusion of an astromech. I don't care the accuracy, this is a piece of art.

:blush: you're gonna make me blush, lol. Thanks so much!

Absolutely stunning! :wub:

Great project! :thumbup:

Wow thanks!! Definitely feeling the love. Now I just need to figure what I want to MOC next!

EDITED April 25th with updated pics and detail.. For those of you who have seen my MOC earlier, I have since streamlined the wings while retaining rigidity, shortened the rear deck by two bricks which I am now very happy with the overall proportions, and added some detail. All of this actually increased playability as well by getting rid of unnecessary bricks and lightening the model. Hope you enjoy, and please keep the comments coming!!

I am quite happy with this model now, only a few tiny details may be updated in future. Please feel free to offer suggestions moving forward, thanks!!

Edited by MikeMo

Lovely build!

I keep going back to the photos to see those "little" mods that you added so your son would be kept happy! :)

Any glaring details I should address before I place another BL order? I'm ordering up some black clips to replace the grey ones which join the wing panels..

Opinions/suggestions welcomed.

Cheers!

Wow looks like I've been slacking here - busy summer.

Anyways, I have further updated this build, addressing some tiny details and further increasing playability. I'll update with pics soon!

Cheers

Beautiful work! Love the astromech swivel (I wish there was a way to have the heads swivel on the astromech minifigs, too...and back printing, of course). One of the first things I did after getting the Microfighter X-wing was order a couple white-base turntables to let the astromech head turn around (did the same with my 2nd MF X-wing, which I gave to Luke & R2-D2). Can't wait to see the updates!

Wow, this looks incredibly good and well-detailed for a medium-sized build.

I really like it when people add play features to their MOCs, I think most of the features are quite creative (first time I'm seeing a feature being a moving astromech droid head, well done!).

I love this! But then again, I'm a sucker for anything TIE. Those new canopy pieces really facilitate better-looking TIEs. Can't wait for someone to make a bomber with 'em. Overall, an out of the ballpark homerun!