M600

Lego 21108 Ghostbusters Ecto-1 - Fully enlightened

Hi,

First and foremost, i'm French. I do my best to avoid grammatical and spelling error but some (a lot in fact) may subsist. I'm sorry for that by advance.

Second, it's my first post here! Hopefully not the last. So here is my mod based on the set 21108 Ghostbusters Ecto-1 car. It's a fully custom made light mod.

Key feature of this is:

- NO modification of ANY Lego bricks.

- NO kragle or drilling or any other funky stuff.

- Everything must fit inside.

- Hide the mod as much as it can be.

- All should work as expected (the strobes strobe, the rotating beacon rotate, etc).

The mod is made of 28 LEDs, all controlled by an Arduino board. All wire are INSIDE the car.

// All images are clickable for a bigger version.

Here is the exterior shots, everything is exactly like every set:

17025000600_9370f1efcb_c.jpg 17025000500_89b82d2c56_c.jpg

17024780428_6255c7164f_c.jpg 17212530765_c511587887_c.jpg

17212530055_88fd00ce14_c.jpg 17026373789_9395dd1679_c.jpg

17024999110_1154139eab_c.jpg 16592333993_a7f0a9c02c_c.jpg

17212529105_4f222db0ea_c.jpg

The roof portion is still detachable without any hanging wire, it's also clean underneath. Nothing cheap to hide a messy mod:

17210855332_0c18c3ae5a_c.jpg 17024998240_a6487da022_c.jpg

Everything is controlled by an Arduino Pro Mini (Not really a choice, it was the smallest Arduino board I had in home) that is hidden under a 4x2 plates:

17212528505_0c1445bd84_c.jpg 17210854742_54beceeb02_c.jpg

Same apply for the battery, that was what I had at the time of building. A smaller lipo can be fit so it's not a choice. Run time is... Well I don't know.

It fit in the trunk of the car and it's the ideal size to be held by the window mounting point after a small change in the design. Neat!

17211955631_813567ba48_c.jpg 17186589446_9da9be4d55_c.jpg

The roof is attached by a very thin wire and connectedto it via a small 45° home made adapter:

16592331863_246b02e231_c.jpg

To start the Arduino, there's a hidden Reed sensor which is (for who don't know) triggered by a magnet.

I put a neodyme magnet in a small Lego round piece and when it's in place underneath, the controller is powered on.

Yup, the Ecto-1 keyfob is a Lego piece with a magnet in it.

17212430091_5ef4971647_c.jpg

Then the magic begin:

16590086184_368db0e2df_c.jpg 16590085984_bd2cf08143_c.jpg

17186587796_cef307df57_c.jpg 17026369809_8274758817_c.jpg

16592330163_546144c979_c.jpg

Pictures don't do justice for the lighting sequence so here is a small video:

For those of you where Youtube cry for a copyright infringement (soundtrack to match the car....), here is one that work (it was an earlier version without the embedded electronique like on these photos:

If you have question, i'll be glad to answer them. Troll included. :laugh:

C’est Magnifique!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I wonder what could you do for the LEGO 76023!!!! (The Tumbler)

WOW, Do you have more pics??? I have one too and trying to improve it...I am buying the ecto-1 just because of you!!! ha ha ha

Unfortunately no, the tumbler is modified using 3D printed bricks to fit a specific type of SMD LED (5630 if I remember correctly).

But modding the Tumbler is very easier. Using 3mm LED should do the trick and there's plenty place inside to hide everything ;)

What kind of LEDs and wires are you using for the Ecto-1? Does LEDs fits into bricks like cheese slopes? Is that SMD LEDs used with thin wire?

Edited by Zed_43

FactorXa > Yes, but it will be presented once everything will be done.

Smartiepants > I was considering BLing the HQ too, gorgeous MOC!

Zed_43 > No bricks have been modified in any way so they must fit Lego bricks. Yes, they fit in those 1x1 Cheese Slopes and even 1x1 Round Plates. SMD LEDs in 0805 and 0603 size along with AWG 30 enamelled wire.

Wow. I just bought a light kit from blinkylights. It cost $25 USD. It came with pre-drilled roof, 2x6 gray plate and 1x2 trans blue plate.

Edited by Solscud007

Wow, I'm blown away by this!!

I've just built the Ecto-1 and really want to replicate what you have done here. I think I have a basic understanding of the components you have used, but I have no experience with Arduino. What is the best way to start? Do you have any links to good sites?

Awesome!!
Very nice. The video really shows off your impressive work!

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback.

Wow, I'm blown away by this!!

I've just built the Ecto-1 and really want to replicate what you have done here. I think I have a basic understanding of the components you have used, but I have no experience with Arduino. What is the best way to start? Do you have any links to good sites?

I personally started with a Sparkfun Inventor's kit which is composed of several parts and instructions on how to make them work (wiring and code).

It's quite pricey comparing to other kit you may find. Might be better alternative now, I bought mine years ago.

But something similar should do the trick and make you start with solid base for your own project :wink:

For the rest, it's mostly what you want to do that will make you learn more!

Hey M600...

I love this! C'est super! I've been trying to find something like this for ages, but never been able to find a decent rotating beacon (or at least LEDs that can mimic it)

Any chance you'd consider selling kits to make it? I'm fairly good at soldering, the only thing I'd struggle at is programming the arduino board?

Looking forward to hearing back from you,

Cordiallement,

Adam

Oops... The email notification land in the SPAM box, I didn't saw them earlier, sorry for that!

B Rick, MasterAS2000 & Lord Tulkas >

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate them. :sweet:

NOITAIDAR & zoomatomic >

Selling kit like that would be a nightmare. Both for me and the buyer.

It's easilly breakable and I don't want to be responsible for any damage (is it my fault or buyer's one? Did I provided malfunctional part or did he fried it?).

It depend heavily on the buyer's skills and I wouldn't be able to provide any support beside a programmed board, a wiring kit and a diagram.

In other word: no warranty of any sort.

For the question about the beacon, since the arduino can't do 2 things at the same time it's just a sequencial on/off of them arranged in a square that cycle fast so you trick your eyes to believe it's rotating.

Since sharing is caring, if someone is really (I mean REALLY) interested in this mod (and good at SMD soldering), I'm willing to help him build one (then he will help the next one and so on). I will provide BOM, Code & Diagram... But success will be on him. Can't blame me.

(He will have to buy everything needed before anything else. Help and discussions through Skype)

Hope this have answered your question (or broke your dream). :laugh:

Hi M600

I am REALLY interested in doing this, I'm ok with the soldering part and always love a good project. I have never used arduino kits which is where I would have to rely upon your expertise. If you don't wish to proceed I would appreciate your parts list and diagram and any source of information in regard to programming the arduino

Cheers :classic: