Siegfried

Fabuland, should it come back?

Fabuland  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Fabuland should return?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you buy it?

• Yes
    • No

I'm not sure what I think. I mean, Fabuland did have sort of a return with the Mickey Mouse sets . . . not strictly Fabuland, but pretty darn close. I don't think those sold too well, did they? We never saw more than one wave.

IMO The Mickey Mouse sets were poorly designed, the buildings were facads and didn't even have side walls. There were no stories or proper instructions included and the figures were bad. Those sets were good for parts to add to my Fabuland collection though. I hope that if LEGO were to bring back Fabuland they will do it right like they did in the 1980's.

Fabuland should definitely come back! I think they are fantastic sets for 5/6 years olds. The figures spark a lot of inspiration for creativity and storytelling.

Fabuland should definitely come back! I think they wanted to bring Fabuland back, but since kids today only like fighting, we got Chima instead. :)

Question 1 - Yes

Question 2 - No

I was never a fan of the Fabuland stuff (am I still am not, sorry guys) but if other people want it back, why not? I don't have to buy it so it doesn't affect me.

I would buy all of the Fabuland sets if they released more! If they do bring it back, I hope the minifigures use the same (or similar) molds as the originals. It just wouldn't be right if they used regular minifigures.

We already have CMF Series 14 and the Scooby Doo theme.... Do we need more monsters??? :look:

I think a CMF series of all anthropomorphic animals would be cool (happy ones, not angry warriors a la Chima).

It would be nice for another intermediary building theme for kids with figures that are easier to get their hands on but more complex than Duplo. Jack Stone didn't hit the mark and the current Juniors is nice but still has regular minifigures.

Hi,I know this is a ten year old topic, but wanted to share this opinion on a preexisting topic.

Given Fabuland's ten year run and popularity at the time, could, and should, Fabuland be brought back as a Juniors subtheme?

Juniors has many subthemes based on already existing themes, but this year has slotted a whole seven sets for Pixar's Cars 3 under the theme alone.

Juniors's intended purpose is a graduation theme into System sets from Duplo, much like Fabuland. So should/could Lego do that, introducing the theme to a new generation?

On 7/5/2014 at 11:11 AM, danth said:

Fabuland should definitely come back! I think they wanted to bring Fabuland back, but since kids today only like fighting, we got Chima instead. 

a.k.a, Fabuland goes to war. :sadnew:

NO and YES. 

I don't think it should come back because it will always be inferior to the previous ones (cramming in play features everywhere :sick:) and the nostalgia factor won't be there for AFOLs (aka there will be tons of complaining here). Still, if it returns, I'd buy a couple. 

I can't really see new Fabuland head molds being introduced through Juniors, which usually seems to reserve new molds for building elements like walls or vehicle parts. There are the Chima head molds but some of those might be too intense for an idyllic slice-of-life setting. Also, on the Inside Tour a couple years ago I was told Fabuland was somewhat popular in Europe but never really caught on in the US.

I have a feeling that if LEGO wanted to launch a new Juniors-specific IP today they'd start from scratch instead of trying to adapt a theme originally designed for a totally different generation of kids to a modern audience.

I think Friends/Elves has some aesthetics similar to Fabuland, mainly the fanciful buildings and vehicles. The colors and sort of woodland vibe of Elves also seem like something that would work for a friendly animal theme.

So if Fabuland came back I bet it would be a sister theme to Friends or Elves. 

I would love to see it come back as it was my favourite theme as a child. I remember many birthdays and Christmas' were made because of those sets. I would probably buy them too, just for old times sake.

So, given its presence in seen so far in The Lego Movie 2, what is the likelihood Lego would revive Fabuland figure molds? :shrug_confused:

The LEGO Movie 2 Teaser

Probably pretty low, but if I'm honest, I would have preferred a Fabuland figure in the CMF line instead of Unikitty or Emmett.

18 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

So, given its presence in seen so far in The Lego Movie 2, what is the likelihood Lego would revive Fabuland figure molds? :shrug_confused:

Extremely doubtful. After all, the Fabuland head molds were also in the original LEGO Movie as taxidermied hunting trophies in the saloon. Either way it's basically just an easter egg. Reintroducing older molds is one thing, but re-introducing an entire figure type seems a lot less plausible, particularly now that sets in the post-Duplo age bracket Fabuland figures were designed for have fully transitioned to using standard System minifigures and mini-dolls.

Honestly, it's kind of ironic to me how much enthusiasm I've seen for the pipe dream of Fabuland figures returning, particularly compared to the outright hate some people have had for mini-dolls appearing in LEGO Movie 2 sets or Unikitty appearing in the LEGO Movie 2 blind bag series.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

how much enthusiasm I've seen for the pipe dream of Fabuland figures returning

It's the nostalgia talking, isn't it?

For some, perhaps. Fabuland was long gone before I got into LEGO, and I just find something about them aesthetically pleasing. :shrug_confused: