This contraption imitates a spinning gyroscope-like structure. The left axle is driven and the right axle is attached to the frame. When the left axle rotates the outer ring, the right axle transfers rotation in opposite direction through the series of gears to the middle ring. The same principle is used to transfer rotation to the inner ring.

16578148114_8f87909e6a_c.jpg

What do you think about this idea? Will it work? Unfortunately I don't have so many connectors #3 right now, so I can't reproduce it in reality. However, I tested this idea with only one ring, and it worked.

The idea described above resulted in a project of a large Technic spaceship which is currently in a WIP state.

Updates:

1. 19134832260_75b02aa51a_m.jpg
  2. 22391525299_136197da8d_m.jpg
  3. 24741259279_d7e47c2d79_n.jpg
  4. 27373042032_1d30d1cd5c_n.jpg
Edited by sheo

I don't see any reason why it would not work, but this is not a gyroscope. This is a mechanical sculpture, and it is very cool. The gears might get out of alignment, or rub on the frame, but I don't think that is much of an issue.

I think it should, but there might be some friction, due to high number of gears. I REALLY HOPE you build it!

I expect all 3 rings to spin as one disc, I don't see the middle rings moving in different axis just because the gears are there, why would they want to move when it is easier for all 3 to spin??

The discs will spin in their own plane because one of the axles is fixated to the disc, while the other is fixated to the frame, or to the bigger disc.

Since it looks promising, I'll put it in the queue until I find a suitable MOC for it. :)

Rather novel. Reminds me of a graduate course in advanced dynamics many years ago, and gyroscopic/rotordynamics was the high point.

Can you spin it fast enough to get so called 'gyroscopic effect', where the axis of rotation tries to always point in the same direction?

At first, it looks like a gimbal suspension of a gyro only, but if it spins fast enough, this may change.

Looks like the pictures from OP are from LDD and it's simple enough (it seems) that one can do this in 15 mins or less. Or am I missing something?

Well, I just tried to do an LXF over my lunch break and Flickr decided to go off-line. :(

Edited by DrJB

Just a thought: to minimize friction, the gyro has to have perfectly axis-symmetric inertia. Thus, it might help to dummy gears along the whole circumference of the 3 rings. that is only in principle as, in real life, it is a bit difficult to estimate and account for friction.

Edited by DrJB

Reminds me of the Machine from one of my most beloved sci-fi movies - Contact. Please post a video of this mechanical sculpture if you can. Would like to see it in action.

Edit: just got an idea. Maybe it helps you. You could simplify the contraption by using rectangular frames instead of circular frames. It should work the same.

Edited by sonar

Event Horizon gravitation drive.

Reminds me of the Machine from one of my most beloved sci-fi movies - Contact.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned mass relays.

Here's the working gyroscope :wink:

It is just mind boggling how you get your LDD to work like that. Mine, if I have many parts, it does not behave as expected.

Are you using a 'special version LDD or whatever is available from TLG?

It is just mind boggling how you get your LDD to work like that. Mine, if I have many parts, it does not behave as expected.

Are you using a 'special version LDD or whatever is available from TLG?

ZBLJ uses the standard version, I think he actually made a video about how he did it, but I'm not going to dig for that now.

On to the main event: I have built this contraption in real life, and I can say that it works, kind of. The gears on the outermost ring actually skip, meaning that the inner 2 rings do not receive power, and I see no other way of getting power to the other rings, at least not right now. Also, running it at max speed from a motor is a little bit scary, and you can't really see how the rings move. I'm probably going to figure out something, and post pictures when I get it working.

Edited by Saberwing40k

I hope you didn't connect it directly to M-motor...

I connected it directly to an L motor, which turned out not quite good.

... Also, running it at max speed from a motor is a little bit scary, and you can't really see how the rings move ...

Can you possibly post a video (in slow motion) ? I spent a great deal of time during my graduate years studying gyroscopes, and I always find them fascinating. I am curious if it is possible to reproduce true gyroscopic effects with such contraption.

The Gyroscope looks amazing! Fantastic work on designing this Sheo :classic: I will say that the gears might have a problem separating the axle joins if there under to much load on them.

Edited by Boxerlego

I connected it directly to an L motor, which turned out not quite good.

Have you tried rotating it by hand?

Edited by sheo

I haven't had a chance to make a video yet, but I finally figured out what this thing is: a Recursive Gimbal.

Z71crgE.gif

In theory, one could replicate the above .GIF in Lego, but even three was hard enough.