On 12/20/2021 at 12:25 PM, HectorMB said:

Brilliant! I think it is particullarly awesome because of its "simplicity". And I put the word into brackets because it is a really complex machine brought to life by the simpliest way (I think). CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thanks!

On 12/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, howitzer said:

Very nice, appears to work quite smoothly and reliably.

Thanks as well.

I have made a render of the wheels and how the flaps are connected to it. I have used different colors to show the different parts, the final wheels will be black.

The gap between the two flaps is now +/- 4 mm. This is about the minimum, otherwise the flap cannot rotate. In the inside, you see a tire (44309) and round bricks. The round bricks make sure that the wheel at the other side rotates exactly at the same time. At first, I used the standard rims belonging to the tire and connected the two wheels with an 40L technic axle. Due to the weight, the axle bent so much that it probably would snap after some time. That's why I came up with this 'axle' made of round bricks (6222).

51760504313_dc95501ddc_c_d.jpg

51761128085_afd94e076a_c_d.jpg

The axle made of round bricks (6222) is in the middle connected by the two white bricks (32000).

51764086459_8325866146_c_d.jpg

Edited by Hanso

I have made a even smaller design for the wheels holding the split flaps, this is a rendered image:

51775800896_867a322876_b_d.jpg

In total 7 rubber elements (45590) will be inserted in the ring, that creates enough friction to prevent the wheel from slipping. I have ordered the bricks to make the real version (including the bricks needed for the flaps), so I can continue building. When that is finished, I will upload a new video.

Update 31-12-2021: Due to the postal delays, the bricks have not yet been delivered. So it will take some time before I can post an update ....

Edited by Hanso

Video added with the final flaps and the even smaller wheels. Now working on the casing... (what you see below is just a quick fix to give it an idea how it will look with casing).

Edited by Hanso

3 hours ago, ord said:

Do you plan to add a stopper like in this video?

What do you mean with a stopper? Can you be more precise about the video (eg the time frame where you're referring to).

3 hours ago, ord said:

Congratulations, it looks great.

And thanks for the compliment.

7 hours ago, Hanso said:

What do you mean with a stopper? Can you be more precise about the video (eg the time frame where you're referring to). 

Sorry, I tried to link the time frame, it's at 1:05. He has some kind of stopper below the flaps, so that they don't wobble when they fall down (not that it's a big deal or anything).

9 hours ago, ord said:

Sorry, I tried to link the time frame, it's at 1:05. He has some kind of stopper below the flaps, so that they don't wobble when they fall down (not that it's a big deal or anything).

No plans (yet) for making such a stopper, but will look into it.

In the mean time, I have made a (rendered) impression of how the casing will look like (click on the pic to see a larger version):

51795077908_0808883d3e_c_d.jpg

Making the motor side as small as possible, was a challenge. I think it cannot be done smaller with an EV3 motor ... (three studs wide, including the gears).

51794016822_7e6db469d1_c_d.jpg

Edited by Hanso

And a rendered image how it will look with three digits. Please let me know what you think of it ...

51798657429_675d808700_c_d.jpg

Personally I think it would look clearer without the red lines and with the boxes against each other so it's a solid black wall, if that's possible. 

This is awesome. I really like when something is build I haven't seen before and thought it was impossible! I think this is better than another vehicle moc and way better than the average 350€ Lego Technic vehicle! Makes me jealous of the creativity and building skills :)

14 hours ago, m2fel said:

This is awesome. I really like when something is build I haven't seen before and thought it was impossible! I think this is better than another vehicle moc and way better than the average 350€ Lego Technic vehicle! Makes me jealous of the creativity and building skills :)

Thanks, that is very nice compliment.

20 hours ago, ord said:

Personally I think it would look clearer without the red lines and with the boxes against each other so it's a solid black wall, if that's possible. 

The triple digit display was just a three-copy of the single digit I am now designing (waiting again for the ordered bricks to see the result in the real world). The reason that I added the two red lines, is that I didn't want it to become a dull black box.

Based on your feedback, I have quickly created an alternative triple digit. It would look like this. What do you think?
51800987604_b4234ffc22_c_d.jpg

Edited by Hanso

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

Any way to make the gap between numbers narrower?

These questions always challenge me... when I look at my (currently only) physical prototype, I think I can narrow the gap between the numbers to 8 studs (now 12 in the example). The motor is already taking 3 studs and the wheels 2 x 2. Plus 1 stud for the structure to support the wheels.

It will imply that the three digit display will be one, big heavy structure instead of three, separate structures with one digit. This has the advantage that it will be easier to transport. But the advantage of making one structure, is less bricks and of course the smaller gap. I think I will choose for the last option.

What do you think of the alternative version (if it would have smaller gaps)?

Edited by Hanso

On 1/5/2022 at 4:34 PM, Hanso said:

I have quickly created an alternative triple digit.

I prefer this! I think it makes the number more readable and as howitzer alluded to - a narrower gap could make it even better.

I think a dull black box is just fine, as it allows the viewer to focus more on the mechanism and appreciate what's inside - but that's just my opinion!

Again, great work and can't wait to see it finished.

I agree with ord, the dull black box is more readable, and the narrower gap between numbers would improve readability still. I wonder if the motor could be moved to the backside of the flap wheel, that might eliminate stud or two from the width? Maybe with a chain-based transmission?

20 hours ago, howitzer said:

I agree with ord, the dull black box is more readable, and the narrower gap between numbers would improve readability still. I wonder if the motor could be moved to the backside of the flap wheel, that might eliminate stud or two from the width? Maybe with a chain-based transmission?

I have also thought of moving the motor to the back, but you will introduce more transmission (eg a chain or axles with gears). And that will probably imply less accuracy when rotating the necessary 36 degrees per flap. I will give it a thought ....

51811709573_c7893b4599_c_d.jpg

I am now building the 'real' display and cannot get the gap between the numbers smaller than 10 studs. If I would move the motor to the backside, this only will help getting the gap one stud smaller. Because of the risk of getting more slack if I move the motor, I keep to this solution.

The photo below is taken from the back. You can see that there is not much space left ;-)

51811603441_0594c7c457_b.jpg

Edited by Hanso

Almost finished building the 3-digit Split-flap Display ...

If you like this build, drop me a note and/or like the video.