really cool idea, is it possible to make it motorized and have a feed system to recycle the program cards back into the hopper?

There's no reason it couldn't be motorised.

Recycling the cards is something it really should do. I decided not to attempt that for this version because I figured it was going to be tricky enough getting it to work at all. It's something that would probably be too cumbersome to retrofit, and at some point I'll probably have another go from scratch. It would work best if the cards came back out the way they went in, rather than passing right through the mechanism.

I can't get enough of these kind of machines! Very well done.

I've frontpaged it, so hopefully more people will enjoy it.

Jim,

Somehow many of your frontpages do not last long. You're doing a fantastic job highlighting these novel MOCs, but somehow there is always someone from a different subforum that brings something else up. Is there a way to 'force' frontpages to last a given/minimum number of days?

This is absolutely amazing! :wub:

Once again I am astonished to see what clever buildings people come up with.

Very, very well done. Thank you so much for sharing it with us and explaining how you came to it. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

In principle, one can put the 'program' on a band (track elements) and have the display run messages one character at a time. I know, easier said than done of course.

I wish I have studied technics, not medicine, I just can not follow some movements... but it looks amazing, and is very intelligent :)

In principle, one can put the 'program' on a band (track elements) and have the display run messages one character at a time. I know, easier said than done of course.

My previous attempt used a continuous loop, although it was a bit slow and rickety:

My goal with the new one was to make it update the whole screen in one go, do it quickly enough that I could display animations, and have a compact way of storing the data.

If I do another one, looping will be at the top of my list.

My previous attempt used a continuous loop, although it was a bit slow and rickety:

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. I thought a bit more about the 'tape' and really, to display whole characters at once would be way more involved than I first thought, as the tape would need to move and pause regularly to display ALL pixels.

What I find very 'deceptive' and not very fair in these contraptions is that the final product is often the result of several iterations/prototypes. And the final product rarely reflects all the effort that has gone into realizing such mechanism. I've always 'voiced' that the work of enginners is always more 'demanding' than that of other better paid professions (not naming them) but, that is a whole other discussion. Cheers.

Wow! Any chance this is coming to CBS2015?

...Say, did you happen to buy an 8880 recently?

Edited by BachAddict

It briliant! I like the idea and all these linkages.

I realy love these mechanical "machines".

Wow! Any chance this is coming to CBS2015?

...Say, did you happen to buy an 8880 recently?

I'm probably bringing it to Christchurch, but still dithering at the mo.

I haven't bought the 8880.

I'm probably bringing it to Christchurch, but still dithering at the mo.

I haven't bought the 8880.

Oh ok, my buyer was also a James from Wellington.

If you're not coming I'd love to build a copy! I would credit you and advertise any site you want.