Elevated Modulars and Subway

img_3253.jpg

img_3254.jpg

img_3252.jpg

img_3256.jpg

img_3167.jpg

img_3171.jpg

img_3243.jpg

I just finished (at least for now) elevating my modulars & adding a subway under the city and am pretty excited so wanted to share pics - please let me know what you think. Quick background: I have limited space and a new lego train addiction so decided the best way to squeeze everything in would be on multiple levels. There are a few progress shots to show how I did it - I got a lot of inspiration from previous posts in this forum so thanks all! Couple more pics in the brickshelf folder too, hope you enjoy!

Looks great. So that's what you were buiidling that NYC subway car for last month. :classic:

Looks fantastic 'PastVPresent'......are you going to fit lighting in the tunnels ?

Brick On 'PastVPresent' ! :grin:

This is actually really really cool and envy this design. I don't think I will ever build a subway for my modulars, but putting in a light rail system down the middle of my streets will definitely be something I want to do in the future.

Great idea, both as a concept you do not see that often on EB, as well as a space saving way to make a display with more features.

It seems your display is not wide enough to connect the two tracks into a circle, so the train(s) could run without worrying about stopping the train at the end of the track.

This looks awesome! A great way to save some space on showing both trains an the modulars.

Thanks all for the great feedback - really means a lot coming from such an excellent group of town, train, and modular designers and builders!

dr_spock, this is definitely what I was thinking about doing when I built the subway car and laka, you are right - not enough space for a full loop but I did build each section of the base to be modular so that if I get more space I can easily reconfigure things to allow for a loop (or more open-sided sections for additional train display, Kristel). lightningtiger, definitely think I need to add lights to make the tunnel/station "pop" - just need to figure out the best way/system to do it. stevkir, my initial hope was to do a light rail (actually mocked up a section) but ran out of room - look forward to seeing what you do. mikaelsol, I was thinking something like this could definitely be a nice (potentially easy?) addition to your town since you already have an elevated portion

Thanks again

This looks great. I especially like the look of all the arches, it works both aesthetically and functionally. Extending the frame one brick wider and using tiles to hold the baseplates in spot is a great idea.

I've made plans for a brick built raised platfrom for my city, but due to size it is extremely unaffordable. For now wooden platforms will do. I do like the addition of the stairs, I have the same problem as you though, the platform isn't in the right position for stairs up top.

I can't wait to see more of what you do to this layout.

Xyver thanks very much and good point on the stair/platform alignment. It really annoyed me initially too but all the solutions I could come up with led to other problems (too large of a plaza up top or train pushed back too far below) so I eventually settled on the "imaginary solution" that the stairs somehow turn underground/out-of-site to reach the platform. Re number of bricks do this, while it was a good number of them, most are just what you see (the fronts) because the rest aren't visible so just took whatever used columns and 1x12s/16s I could easily find to support everything (your wood solution is probably more stable than mine - would love to see what you've done).

Edited by PastVPresent

PastVPresent, Here are a couple of photos of my setup from a show I did last year. I do at least four per year, so this is always evolving. I actually made some new platforms on the weekend, but they are constructed the same way, just different sizes.

17021343580_a64af53d06_c.jpgIMG_9886 by Ade-27, on Flickr

17021140508_7a55e3f88c_c.jpgIMG_9883 by Ade-27, on Flickr

The platform has a pine frame with 7mm ply on top which just sits on wooden legs. The modular section of my city is 7x6 baseplates, so too big for a brick built solution like yours (I did draw up plans using technic beams, but I costed each it to about $AU360 as compared to about $40-$60 for the wooden platform. We are also in the process of building a box that sits around the platform so I don't have to assemble my city each time we do a show. I would still like to brick build the sides though, so I can add more detail to my display, but that would be purely cosmetic, not structural.

And although you might not be able to tell by the photos, the stairs would actually come up in the middle of the street. As you found, it is not practical to have the stairs in the right place, for me, that would mean my platform is a full baseplate back from the edge of the table, not really suitable for viewing.

Nice job...I like this approach as I am currently rebuilding all my modulars and hope to coordinate them into some 'brick-built' bases. I do love how you have added a new level of dimension to this scene. hmmm feeling inspired now :)

Excellent idea and execution, I especially like the arches. I agree that there should be some light underground - in my opinion this upgrades the appearance of such a setup very much.

Concerning the missing loop: By using a monorail as subway (something I'm planning with my PF monorail train) you don't need a loop but the train (or even two trains) would ply between two stop tracks. But since you have built such a great subway car perhaps you won't change the system ...

A - For originality.

A - For execution.

I really like this. I'm sure that I'm thinking along with you in the fact that I wish there was a circuit for the train below, but . . . . we can't have everything, and the radius for the trains is just too great for that on your shelf.

Thanks everyone. Xyver, thats a great looking setup and between the large scale and need for mobility wood and a box makes a lot more sense than what I did, anyway, really cool subway station (not to mention the bldgs above!).

ER0L I really like what youve done with PF and monorail - I probably will stick with the tracks in the subway due to the car as you said but if I ever do an elevated train I'll definitely look into the monorail solution and in the meantime am already thinking about subway station lighting. gazumpty, cant wait to see what you do! Thanks Breakdown! Yeah, I always end up having to make a compromise or two unfortunately...

Edited by PastVPresent

That's super cool!!!! May we see the actual subway entrance? Do you have platforms to link to the other tracks (uptown/downtown)? FANTASTIC

If you really want to add to the authenticity of a NYC subway, you gotta get yourself at least a 5 or more rats for those subways. :laugh:

Also, have you guys given any thought to a third rail. Growing up in NYC, we were always taught to stay clear of the third rail.

Edited by Alucard1977

Thanks guys. FactorXa, the first pic is actually the best I have of the entrance because right now there isn't much to it, just steps down to "nowhere" - I haven't done additional platforms or anything but good idea and would like to add them one day - will definitely share pics when I do

Alucard1977 - big oversight on my part, this thing definitely needs some rats and a third rail (and maybe some old gum on the floor), great idea!

Anyway, I think next step for me will be to get some lighting installed so that whatever I do down there will be more visible

Thinking about the issue you have with the stairs to nowhere, I was thinking if you ever feel you have space for a road out front of the modulars you could just bump the subway out under the road and then allow the stairs to come down onto the platform. I know with the current setup I see the stairs would come down onto the front set of tracks but with the road it looks like it would land nicely in between.

stevkir, i think thats a great idea, thanks - I went into a couple of real life subway stations this weekend and thats how they all seemed to work (entrance on sidewalk, tunnel under street). It should also work well in lego (could be very clean to have elevated "road modules" with subway underneath separate from the building modules) - so as soon as I have the room I'll give it a shot. In the meantime, I did order some lights for the station so at least its visible:

img_3370.jpg

I love it. Great city, very clean and well done. I can tell a lot of time and thought was put into this. Excellent work sir. :classic::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: