Sign in to follow this  
marook

Camera Rig wagon

Hi All,

Wanted to use my Contour cameras filming the running train, so had to MOC up a quick camera rig wagon.

Here is a bit of pictures for inspiration..

The wagon itself..

16571835783_9d88eeaec7.jpgLEGO Train Camera Rig wagon 3 by Marook, on Flickr

Camera mounted, behind other wagon:

17192015745_3dcef8cc63.jpgLEGO Train Camera Rig wagon 6 by Marook, on Flickr

Now, maybe it should be modded to house a camera crew.. ;-)

It might need some ballast, as it easily tips over if the train runs too fast in curves.. ;-)

And watch out for bridges and tunnels.. !

Video:

Edited by marook

The scuffs around the front of the lens shows this might be light duty for this little camera.

I love the rig and will have to try to get one of these ready to run by BFVA at the latest. It would be fun if we could get one of these on the tracks at the display in BrickWorld in June.

Great work and thanks for sharing.

The camera has been on may skiing trips and sport activities, so yeah, this is a 'light' job.. ;-)

But it's 1080p and the BT hookup to my mobile makes it super easy to see what's happening.

Only issue with POV above the trains, is bridges etc, that you suddenly run into.. ;-)

And then the fact of high weight up high, making the wagon tilt easily in turns.

Maybe if there was some counter weight bricks.. The instructions for my old 7727 have some 2x6x2 bricks that I seems to remember was with weight in them, but I can't find those bricks anymore.. :-/

I'll see if I can create a LXF file of the rig soon..

Those counterweights were used in the old boats. Try looking for like that. I know mine came in the 'Cabin Cruiser' set.

For the prices that I am seeing on our side of the pond (USA) I think I will continue to use loaded AAA battery boxes for weights.

For the prices that I am seeing on our side of the pond (USA) I think I will continue to use loaded AAA battery boxes for weights.

I'm in Denmark, and found some in Portugal.. and some other train stuff in the same store, so it was ok.. ;-)

I put the bullet action camera (Ion Air Pro 2) always low, this has a few advantages:

- not top heavy

- wobbling of the camera is not present (if you put the cam high, it resonates a bit from left to right after a curve)

Due to the 170/180 angle lens, you can hook the camera wagon directly behind a high wagon without losing much sight. Maybe one small 16 stud long wagon between the camera wagon and the train that you want to show.

This video shows the camera on the end of a 28 studs long wagon, directy behind the train:

In my opinion an extra high POV is then not necessary, only when you want to show the roof of the train :classic:

Well, I was going for the look down the roofs of a long train.

It also gives brain time to prepare for the turns, so they don't seem that hard, I think.

But yeah, there is some challenges with high-mounted cameras.. ;-)

I like your rig, pretty clever and I like the along the roof shots. May have to try something similar, though my layout has a few to many low height clearance areas at the moment. For comparison this is my rig for the Garmin Virb filming out front:

DSCF4244_zps1uilfkcv.jpg