Question: Smallest Pneumatic Compressor Possible?

hello,

what's the smallest possible pneumatic compressor (not an autovalve, just a compressor) which pumps 4 small pneumatic cylinders? I was considering Sariel's rocking compressor design in his 1st book, but it seems like there should be a smaller version possible.

Thanks!

4 pumps in a row?

It will be small, but not efficient as 2+2 option.

I am using this one in my two truck and it performs very well:

35.png

But it depends on how many space do you have. Pumps and motor could be not used as a single module, but for example, placed on both sides of the model, to use space more efficiently.

hello,

what's the smallest possible pneumatic compressor (not an autovalve, just a compressor) which pumps 4 small pneumatic cylinders? I was considering Sariel's rocking compressor design in his 1st book, but it seems like there should be a smaller version possible.

Thanks!

It doesn't have to be 4 pumps in a row.

4 pumps in a row?

It will be small, but not efficient as 2+2 option.

I am using this one in my two truck and it performs very well:

35.png

But it depends on how many space do you have. Pumps and motor could be not used as a single module, but for example, placed on both sides of the model, to use space more efficiently.

Thanks! If I used that I would replace the L motor with an M motor- surely the 4 pumps don't generate that much resistance...

If it works for motorizing 4 functions, it will work just fine for my 1 function (air suspension). Thanks!

Edited by TheLegoExpert

Wait, I've got a design that is even better, and much smaller.

It uses two of the newer 6l pumps, which are substituted.

I use a very similar design in my dumptrucks, but only one pump, it is adequate for four cylinders without an air tank.

You may find a M-motor struggles with more than two pumps, even the load from one pump can slow an L motor.

What sets have the 6L pneumatic cylinder?

You mean to say the 6L PUMPS, not cylinders. There is a difference between a pneumatic cylinder, and a pneumatic pump. Also, rather than just giving you the answer, I think I will teach you how to find out which sets a part comes in on your own. Bricklink and Rebrickable both have catalogs documenting all kinds of Lego parts ever, and what set they were included in. Both sites also have parts sorted into a number of categories, including pneumatics. I think this will help you in the future.

Wow, D3K, best compressor design i have seen for up to two pumps

It is compact, at least! :classic:

One could easily expand on it in one of the following ways:

640x297.jpg

640x297.jpg

640x297.jpg

(All pics clickable for higher resolution)

Unfortunately I cant get LDD to work at present, but in those designs there is nothing stopping the connector and gears from parting company from the motor when trying to compress the pump, on mine I use a liftarm alongside the motor to prevent it.

Unfortunately I cant get LDD to work at present, but in those designs there is nothing stopping the connector and gears from parting company from the motor when trying to compress the pump, on mine I use a liftarm alongside the motor to prevent it.

Good point! :thumbup: An easy fix could be to use either a #1 or #2 connector and affix it to the surrounding structure as so:

640x297.jpg

640x297.jpg

EDIT:

Or it could be made more "self contained", like this:

640x297.jpg

Edited by D3K

The RC motor is fantastic for pumps - no need to use so many cylinders maybe one or two only, it can lift a very heavy load if your pipes are tight and no leaks anywhere:

1337526020m_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by Rockbrick

It doesn't have to be 4 pumps in a row.

Thanks! If I used that I would replace the L motor with an M motor- surely the 4 pumps don't generate that much resistance...

If it works for motorizing 4 functions, it will work just fine for my 1 function (air suspension). Thanks!

For my Liebherr I have to use a XL motor for the compressor which uses almost the same setup.... But then again there I have to lift close to 5 kilograms :grin:

For my Liebherr I have to use a XL motor for the compressor which uses almost the same setup.... But then again there I have to lift close to 5 kilograms :grin:

The RC motor is fantastic for pumps - no need to use so many cylinders maybe one or two only, it can lift a very heavy load if your pipes are tight and no leaks anywhere:

Yea, I need way less output from my pneumatic system than you large scale builders.. :tongue: Edited by Blakbird
: Please don't quote iimages that aren't necessary!

On 4/19/2015 at 3:46 AM, Saberwing40k said:

Wait, I've got a design that is even better, and much smaller.

17191682502_247b1d8517_z.jpgmini compressor by Saberwing007, on Flickr

LXF

It uses two of the newer 6l pumps, which are substituted.

I like this design. Is it compatible with a L motor for easier mounting on structures?

On 4/19/2015 at 9:51 PM, D3K said:

How about this?

640x297.jpg

Very compact design!