Displaying at the National Museum of the Marine Corps on April 11th, I had to come up with something featuring the USMC and also what’s apparently become my theme this year, the Anniversary of Something, so here’s my take on this iconic conflict. I only had about 6 hours to build it, so no border, and I would have liked to build up those ramparts higher but overall, fairly satisfied with this one. 100% LEGO except for the custom flags. Click on the pictures below for more detail.

——————————

17001116289_5271b51b8c_z.jpg 17161354876_e8edf1842a.jpg

Ever forget something that was really important not to forget?

The Battle of New Orleans, fought on January 8, 1815 was the last major combat of the War of 1812. 4732 American combatants, commanded by Major General Andrew Jackson, prevented nearly 11,000 British infantry and Royal Marines, commanded by General Edward Pakenham, from seizing New Orleans as a strategic prize to end the war. The war was actually over by the time the main battle was fought, ended by the Treaty of Ghent on December 24, 1814, but since the US government had not yet approved the treaty, the fighting in Louisiana would continue until the British withdrew on January 18th. One of the most lop-sided victories in history, the British advanced under very heavy fire only to find once they reached the American ramparts that the ladders necessary to ascend the fortifications were not available, having been forgotten by the negligence of the Colonel in charge of them. With limited access to the Americans and taking fire the entire time, all British officers over the rank of Major in the front ranks were killed, leaving no one to sound the retreat. Their casualties were therefore disproportionately high, losing over 2000 in just 25 minutes of fighting, compared to less than 100 American casualties (only 13 were actually killed). As for the USMC, 58 US Marines fought at New Orleans, and they are the American troops portrayed here (hence the USMC uniforms).

Hope you like it, comments are welcome!

Correction: This was the last major land battle of the war. As 2Maxwell points out below, the last combat was the naval battle between the USS Constitution vs. HMS Levant and HMS Cyane...which would make an outstanding LEGO build sometime as well!

Edited by Gary The Procrastinator

AWESOME display MOC and thanks for the history lesson as well.

I like the smoke effect from the cannon firing.

Brick On 'GTP' ! pirate_laugh2.gif

My most disliked battle in the War of 1812 pirate_sceptic.gif Good job, though. However, I believe the Americans suffered more than 13 casualties. It was a disgrace for the British forces right before the end of the war, however we still got your White House pir_laugh2.gif Also, I do believe most of the men there were actually not dressed like a "bluecoat" but rather Civilians, Militia, Pirates, Freed Slaves, etc. Some where, but not all. Anyway, great job!

My most disliked battle in the War of 1812 pirate_sceptic.gif Good job, though. However, I believe the Americans suffered more than 13 casualties. It was a disgrace for the British forces right before the end of the war, however we still got your White House pir_laugh2.gif Also, I do believe most of the men there were actually not dressed like a "bluecoat" but rather Civilians, Militia, Pirates, Freed Slaves, etc. Some where, but not all. Anyway, great job!

One of my favorite battles haha! Also, in all fairness, we torched York (modern day Toronto and British Canada's capital) first pirate_wink.gif

@Gary: Lovely work as always! As a big US history goober, I love the War of 1812. However, I must correct you. The last major combat of the war was one of my other favorites, the USS Constitution vs. the HMS Levant and Cyane.

Edited by 2maxwell

One of my favorite battles haha! Also, in all fairness, we torched York (modern day Toronto and British Canada's capital) first pirate_wink.gif

@Gary: Lovely work as always! As a big US history goober, I love the War of 1812. However, I must correct you. The last major combat of the war was one of my other favorites, the USS Constitution vs. the HMS Levant and Cyane.

In all fairness, we blew the ammunition supply, killing many of the U.S troops, including General Pike pirate_wink.gif

Another great history MOC from you! I love the smoke coming from the cannon.

By the way, the 150th anniversary of the Surrender at Appomattox was just 9 days ago. ;)

In all fairness, we blew the ammunition supply, killing many of the U.S troops, including General Pike pirate_wink.gif

Haha, fair enough. Sacrifices must be made, though it's a shame those had to include Zebulon Pike. Man has such a good name haha.

Edited by 2maxwell

With regards to pirate-specific builds fiction is great but for non-pirate subjects like this I prefer historic accuracy and this is excellent. That's a lot of soldiers and it looks so much better as an action scene versus all lined up in marching formation the way we so often see them. Why not show a little action if you can, huh? The various minifig poses are nice and I also like the terrain and trees.

AWESOME display MOC and thanks for the history lesson as well.

I like the smoke effect from the cannon firing.

Brick On 'GTP' ! :pir-grin:

Thank you lightningtiger, I appreciate the comment a lot.

Very nice MOC!

I didn`t know much about this war before now.. 13 vs 386 killed - incredible result.

Thank you, yes it's one of Britain's "little wars" and America didn't achieve much out of it either, considering the Brits continued to impress our sailors into their navy afterwards even though that's one of the major things that triggered it.

My most disliked battle in the War of 1812 :pir-sceptic: Good job, though. However, I believe the Americans suffered more than 13 casualties. It was a disgrace for the British forces right before the end of the war, however we still got your White House :pir_laugh2: Also, I do believe most of the men there were actually not dressed like a "bluecoat" but rather Civilians, Militia, Pirates, Freed Slaves, etc. Some where, but not all. Anyway, great job!

Ha, definintely not one of British Arms' shining moments that's for sure. I'm not a huge fan of it either, but the display was a one-day show at the National Museum of the Marine Corps, and with it being an earlier land-engagement for them I thought it fitting...which explains your other critique: the reason why all the Americans are in uniform is because this is supposed to be the Marine contingent, and they definitely were in uniform unlike the rest of the American "rabble". As to the casualties you are 100% correct, I messed that up by comparing British casualties for the entire campaign with American dead at this one battle...I fixed it as per your catch, good job on that. And don't worry, since I'm working on La Haye Sainte for Waterloo now, you'll see a major British victory soon :grin:

Wow, such an excellent scene! Those trees are fantastic!

Thanks Graham! They are deliberately made to be set up quickly for all these displays, but they sure do eat up a lot of resources...

One of my favorite battles haha! Also, in all fairness, we torched York (modern day Toronto and British Canada's capital) first :pir-wink:

Wow what a great catch, I love the U.S.S. Constitution; you'd have thought I'd have caught it since that's such a fantastic battle for Old Ironsides. I got to tour it once back in 2011 when I was in Boston on a business trip. I have attempted to fix the mistake with a statement...but that picture is already Gimped. Too bad I didn't put the word "land" in there. Thanks 2Maxwell.

Another great history MOC from you! I love the smoke coming from the cannon.

By the way, the 150th anniversary of the Surrender at Appomattox was just 9 days ago. ;)

Thank you very much Gremer! Yes I actually was there for the re-enactment and celebration at Appomattox VA on 8 and 9 April. It was awesome, the re-enactment was one of the best I've ever seen, with fog and mist making for a very moody, and actually historically-correct, display. But boy was it packed...so glad I did most of the stuff the day before on the 8th as on the 9th you couldn't get in to buy anything that day and each site had a long line. Still, I made sure I toured the McLean house on the 9th where the surrender was signed 150 years ago that day, and now I'm going to build that sucker at minifig scale! Thank you LEGO for the new dark red masonry brick...

With regards to pirate-specific builds fiction is great but for non-pirate subjects like this I prefer historic accuracy and this is excellent. That's a lot of soldiers and it looks so much better as an action scene versus all lined up in marching formation the way we so often see them. Why not show a little action if you can, huh? The various minifig poses are nice and I also like the terrain and trees.

Thank you very much Captain Dee. Just you wait for our Battle of Waterloo display at Brickfair Virginia in August...there will be over 1000 figs, La Haye Sainte farm, and lots of terrain like this.

Edited by Gary The Procrastinator

Ha, definintely not one of British Arms' shining moments that's for sure. I'm not a huge fan of it either, but the display was a one-day show at the National Museum of the Marine Corps, and with it being an earlier land-engagement for them I thought it fitting...which explains your other critique: the reason why all the Americans are in uniform is because this is supposed to be the Marine contingent, and they definitely were in uniform unlike the rest of the American "rabble". As to the casualties you are 100% correct, I messed that up by comparing British casualties for the entire campaign with American dead at this one battle...I fixed it as per your catch, good job on that. And don't worry, since I'm working on La Haye Sainte for Waterloo now, you'll see a major British victory soon default_laugh2.gif

Well, I guess you'd have to have marines in it if it's for a Marine Museum pir_laugh2.gif As for the casualties, I see you've changed it, although, according to Wikipedia, and some other historic record sites, (because I don't 100% trust wikipedia, however it is still helpful at times) the Americans suffered around 50 (55 on wikipedia) killed, as well as the rest wounded/missing. Also, I do not think ALL of the officers above Major were killed, although many were, including the supreme commander, Sir Edward Pakenham. And, I am glad to hear you are making a La Haye Sainte MOC. I cannot wait! Also, it said I said what you said in the quote, because I do not know how to copy one part of a quote.

Edited by James Wellington

Now I've got that Johnny Horton song going though my head:

"In 1815 we took a little trip with general Jackson heading down the Missisip'. We took a little bacon and we took a little beans..."

Anyway, great build!

Thank you very much Gremer! Yes I actually was there for the re-enactment and celebration at Appomattox VA on 8 and 9 April. It was awesome, the re-enactment was one of the best I've ever seen, with fog and mist making for a very moody, and actually historically-correct, display. But boy was it packed...so glad I did most of the stuff the day before on the 8th as on the 9th you couldn't get in to buy anything that day and each site had a long line. Still, I made sure I toured the McLean house on the 9th where the surrender was signed 150 years ago that day, and now I'm going to build that sucker at minifig scale! Thank you LEGO for the new dark red masonry brick...

That's awesome! I have a crutch that belonged to my great-great-grandfather who had his leg either blown off or amputated during the War. Due to my location, I'm guessing he was a Confederate, which makes a cool coincidence, since I'm related to Jefferson Davis by marriage.

Well, I guess you'd have to have marines in it if it's for a Marine Museum :pir_laugh2: As for the casualties, I see you've changed it, although, according to Wikipedia, and some other historic record sites, (because I don't 100% trust wikipedia, however it is still helpful at times) the Americans suffered around 50 (55 on wikipedia) killed, as well as the rest wounded/missing. Also, I do not think ALL of the officers above Major were killed, although many were, including the supreme commander, Sir Edward Pakenham. And, I am glad to hear you are making a La Haye Sainte MOC. I cannot wait! Also, it said I said what you said in the quote, because I do not know how to copy one part of a quote.

Thanks James, yeah one has to be careful on Wikipedia, it's fantastic for a very quick run down on something you may not know about, but further research always needs to be done to confirm anything factual... And I think the Colonels and Generals really were killed off up at the front end of the fighting, which is why it took General Lambert in charge of the British reserve to the rear to deploy his troops as cover, and it was he who finally gave the order to withdraw.

Now I've got that Johnny Horton song going though my head:

"In 1815 we took a little trip with general Jackson heading down the Missisip'. We took a little bacon and we took a little beans..."

Anyway, great build!

THe joys of earworms! Cheers Murdoch.

That's awesome! I have a crutch that belonged to my great-great-grandfather who had his leg either blown off or amputated during the War. Due to my location, I'm guessing he was a Confederate, which makes a cool coincidence, since I'm related to Jefferson Davis by marriage.

Cool family heirloom. I think I have ancesters from Arkansas who fought for the Rebs, but I don't have the lineage documentation to show it.

Wow what a great catch, I love the U.S.S. Constitution; you'd have thought I'd have caught it since that's such a fantastic battle for Old Ironsides. I got to tour it once back in 2011 when I was in Boston on a business trip. I have attempted to fix the mistake with a statement...but that picture is already Gimped. Too bad I didn't put the word "land" in there. Thanks 2Maxwell.

No problem at all! It's tough to keep all the battles straight, I forget plenty myself haha. And very lucky! I hope to do the same one day if I visit Boston. The closest I've seen is the U.S.S. Constellation in Baltimore. Although it's classified as a sloop, it's about the same size as the old frigates, and actually larger than the frigate she was name for pir_laugh2.gif

Gary, your MOC are always incredible. Whenever I see a new creation coming from you on Eurobricks I jump on it... and I am never disappointed.

I am so looking forward to the battle of Waterloo MOC. I believe that timing is perfect for it and you are probably the best MOCer to do this justice.

Brickfair Virginia? Hmm. I live in Franklin County, about 15 miles south-southwest of the city of Roanoke just east of the Blue Ridge Mountains. If I shows up wit' a couple jugs o' compliment'ry white light'nin ya think they might lemme in free? No, seriously, there is very little chance I'll make it to the show even though I would like to see the rest of your display. While I'm here I have a quick question: did the Americans really wear shakos or a shako-type hat during the War of 1812?

While I'm here I have a quick question: did the Americans really wear shakos or a shako-type hat during the War of 1812?

They absolutely did.

War_of_1812_Battle_of_North_Point.jpg

1819-i.jpg

1814-i.jpg

Great work on all of the wonderful detail in this MOC. :wub:

I'm reminded of

with Lego. :laugh:

Your creation looks way more accurate than the video was though.

Fantastic work! I love the trees :wub: Great ramparts too :thumbup:

Thank you LittleJohn, I appreciate the comments very much.

No problem at all! It's tough to keep all the battles straight, I forget plenty myself haha. And very lucky! I hope to do the same one day if I visit Boston. The closest I've seen is the U.S.S. Constellation in Baltimore. Although it's classified as a sloop, it's about the same size as the old frigates, and actually larger than the frigate she was name for :pir_laugh2:

I've been on the Connie as well, lovely old ship. I'm so glad they've preserved these two treasures.

Gary, your MOC are always incredible. Whenever I see a new creation coming from you on Eurobricks I jump on it... and I am never disappointed. I am so looking forward to the battle of Waterloo MOC. I believe that timing is perfect for it and you are probably the best MOCer to do this justice.

Wow, that is such a kind compliment, thank you! I have La Haye Sainte about 1/8th finished now. The buildings alone will be 4 x 48x48 stud baseplates, and the garden and orchard will double that size.

Brickfair Virginia? Hmm. I live in Franklin County, about 15 miles south-southwest of the city of Roanoke just east of the Blue Ridge Mountains. If I shows up wit' a couple jugs o' compliment'ry white light'nin ya think they might lemme in free? No, seriously, there is very little chance I'll make it to the show even though I would like to see the rest of your display. While I'm here I have a quick question: did the Americans really wear shakos or a shako-type hat during the War of 1812?

You should go to it CD! I will have two free tickets if we can arrange a meeting, but I won't have them until the Thursday prior.

They absolutely did.

Thank you for those great images 2maxwell.

Very good diorama - and amazing to see the high amount of feedback.

Both: excellent! :pir_laugh2:

Thank you Capt Braunsfeld. Yes, and I appreciate all the comments too.

Great work on all of the wonderful detail in this MOC. default_wubnew.gif

I'm reminded of

with Lego. default_laugh_new.gif

Your creation looks way more accurate than the video was though.

I had never seen that Brickfilm before. Funny how that song forgets to mention that the British burned down our Whitehouse... :pir-sceptic:

Gary, I am astonished by your generosity but ultimately I must refuse. First of all, I'm new here. I just joined up a few weeks ago. I've posted several replies but no material of my own. I really think you should give free tickets to someone more deserving than me. Secondly, I'm almost certain I can't make it fit my schedule anyway. That's what I meant in my previous post. Your offer is a very friendly gesture but I would rather you pick someone else. As for the subject matter - I'm anxious to see your next work! Keep it up!