ER0L

MOC: Speed Champions Fire Engine/Pumper

16998160678_38161afdaa_z.jpg

Hi all,

just a quick MOC (in fact a MOD of a quite old model) to test how those nice Speed Champions wheels and mudguards can be used for minifig scale purposes. Unfortunately they are much too large for passenger cars (except the hubcaps, see http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2193849), but they do look quite nice on such a truck, especially when the wheels are enlarged a bit.

The pumper is an old 8w+ model (and thus too large for the actual scale I'm building in) - anyhow it will be turned to 7w+ some day ...

Some more pics:

17185873785_d95d6a3c41_z.jpg

17159975376_b5916d5965_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wow, thats really realistic looking! I always wondered why firetrucks in States have such oversized bumpers around them?

Incredible; the wheels and wheel arches fit so damn well with this build! M-m-meyzin' fire engine, ER0L.

Not how about an airport crash tender?

Wow, thats really realistic looking! I always wondered why firetrucks in States have such oversized bumpers around them?

Because not cab-over?

Seriously your most AWESOME creation for a while 'ER0L' and you have given me some ideas.....Brick On 'ER0L' !

Thanks a lot! Usually the large bumpers are carrying all sorts of equipment.

Incredible; the wheels and wheel arches fit so damn well with this build! M-m-meyzin' fire engine, ER0L.

Not how about an airport crash tender?

Many thanks! Crash tender: Something like this? :wink:

14280748648_5e4cb650cc.jpg

Seriously your most AWESOME creation for a while 'ER0L' and you have given me some ideas.....Brick On 'ER0L' !

Thanks a lot LT, looking forward to what you have in mind.

Thanks a lot LT, looking forward to what you have in mind.

Hmm, maybe one or two of my old NM trucks might get a redo too for WV.

Have any other trucks in the works yourself ?

Hmm, maybe one or two of my old NM trucks might get a redo too for WV.

Have any other trucks in the works yourself ?

NM = New Mannum, WV = Wandin Valley, understood. - Yeah, another wrecker, but without any SC stuff.

Nice work. The engine looks low enough that you can attach an aerial ladder apparatus on it and still clears tunnels and overpasses. :classic:

To hold additional attack lines and connection points.

Nice work. The engine looks low enough that you can attach an aerial ladder apparatus on it and still clears tunnels and overpasses. :classic:

Thank you! What's striking about the huge American fire apparatus - at least in comparison to European fire vehicles - is their (relative) lowness compared to their large width. Plus we mustn't "dwarf" the figs too much by the vehicles. Here you see the pumper together with the new Ferrari and a fig to get an impression of the scale:

17008643818_41e94f4f35_z.jpg

Many thanks! Crash tender: Something like this? :wink:

14280748648_5e4cb650cc.jpg

Yep. A bit more like the City Airport Fire Truck, but with more wheels, a bigger water tank, a longer hose, and TURRETS!!!

A bit more like the City Airport Fire Truck

I guess you aren't talking about 60061 (enough wheels, I guess :wink: ). Do you have a set number?

I guess you aren't talking about 60061 (enough wheels, I guess :wink: ). Do you have a set number?

No, no, it IS 60061. Just a tad bigger.

Thank you! What's striking about the huge American fire apparatus - at least in comparison to European fire vehicles - is their (relative) lowness compared to their large width. Plus we mustn't "dwarf" the figs too much by the vehicles. Here you see the pumper together with the new Ferrari and a fig to get an impression of the scale:

17008643818_41e94f4f35_z.jpg

The scale looks damn near perfect in my opinion, I'm personally not all too keen on 6 wide trucks and 4 wide cars anymore - they seem too squished compared to the minifigs.

Edited by KyleIsTheName

Great looking fire truck, ER0L! I'd love to see this in 7w.

Edited by marv

wow, just noticed I never commented on this. (shame on me) Absolutely love this truck though, and seeing as I've resigned myself to 6w+ for all city cars an 8w+ fire engine really is about right to me. and the styling reminds me of the newer Seagrave trucks. but there is 1! huge, colossal, catastrophic, and utterly unforgivable thing wrong with this truck..... Where is the Q? :grin: everyone knows that a proper American fire engine must have a well maintained and polished chrome Q!

No, no, it IS 60061. Just a tad bigger.

Bigger than 60061? :wink:

The scale looks damn near perfect in my opinion, I'm personally not all too keen on 6 wide trucks and 4 wide cars anymore - they seem too squished compared to the minifigs.

Thank you! There are lots of different opinions on that subject. I guess it's more important that a builder has a consistent system for his own MOCs.

Great looking fire truck, ER0L! I'd love to see this in 7w.

Thank you!

wow, just noticed I never commented on this. (shame on me) Absolutely love this truck though, and seeing as I've resigned myself to 6w+ for all city cars an 8w+ fire engine really is about right to me. and the styling reminds me of the newer Seagrave trucks. but there is 1! huge, colossal, catastrophic, and utterly unforgivable thing wrong with this truck..... Where is the Q? :grin: everyone knows that a proper American fire engine must have a well maintained and polished chrome Q!

Thank you! In my opinion 8w is too large for City vehicles which can be seen when combined with modular buildings and road plates. A crash tender like the Faun on the pic above may be 8 studs wide. Of course you don't get a real scale with all those restrictions, but a graduation between different types of vehicles.

Sorry about the missing Q, I'm really embarrassed. Seems to be the second mistake on this truck (the first were the rear seats placed in the wrong direction ... :wink: ). But I admit that I don't have an idea what you're talking about. Could you please explain that?

Wow, that looks incredible. That Ferrari is wow as well.

Glad you like it!

The "Q" or Q siren, is a very simple mechanical siren which produces a very loud wailing sound (much the same as a tornado siren). in reality not all Fire Engines / Ladders / Tankers have them but to many Firemen it is one of the requirements for a "Real Engine" and its not uncommon (at least around me) to hear complaints about trucks without a Q. the Q itself has been used since WWII and has been used for emergency vehicles ever since. many older firefighters only had the Q their trucks (and possibly the classic brass bell too) up until the addition of electronic sirens. so thanks to my upbringing I've come to be part of the group that has to have a Q on the truck, there just isn't a sound in the world as wonderful as that steadily raising wail :grin: (there are electronic versions now, but its still not quite the same tone)

Sound of a Q siren: http://i.ytimg.com/...xresdefault.jpg

Edit: somehow I linked the image… oops

Video of Q siren sound:

Edited by GallardoLU

The "Q" or Q siren, is a very simple mechanical siren which produces a very loud wailing sound (much the same as a tornado siren). in reality not all Fire Engines / Ladders / Tankers have them but to many Firemen it is one of the requirements for a "Real Engine" and its not uncommon (at least around me) to hear complaints about trucks without a Q. the Q itself has been used since WWII and has been used for emergency vehicles ever since. many older firefighters only had the Q their trucks (and possibly the classic brass bell too) up until the addition of electronic sirens. so thanks to my upbringing I've come to be part of the group that has to have a Q on the truck, there just isn't a sound in the world as wonderful as that steadily raising wail :grin: (there are electronic versions now, but its still not quite the same tone)

Thank you very much! Of course I know that sound. Probably won't ever forget that ... :wink:

Hi all,

Nice one. I have done a few since you posted this one but mine are all 6 wide so they will fit the Lego garage doors.

Nice one. I have done a few since you posted this one but mine are all 6 wide so they will fit the Lego garage doors.

Edited by Rick
Please don't unnecessarily use quotes, especially for posts with images. Thanks.