16559465233_9b5a691af5_z.jpg

Patterns of light shifted over the surface of the ground as the branches above Adira's head waved in the wind. To her right a tall stone pillar stood solidly amongst the swaying trees. Letting her hand pass over it's rough, weathered surface, she let her mind linger on the story of it's beginning, of how it had been placed there by the ancient Cresenthorn elves and the men of the High Council to commemorate their alliance. Who would have known an alliance made by elves would be so fragile...

17153717026_187d078210_z.jpg

“Captain, the dual is about to begin.”

Adira turned to see Udgr standing in front of her, at attention. She returned his salute and looked past him to where the (very ugly) Cresenthorn elf was finishing up attempting to understand the half-intelligible grunts of the Desert King minotaur that made up the opposing party. Adira eyed his huge, spiked war-club nervously. “Do you have a strategy, Sargent Udgr?”

The wiry orc broke into a wide grin, revealing two rows of yellow, cracked teeth. “Yes captain. Don't get hit, get in close, strike hard. From the look of him, he'll probably swing first, leaving himself open. If not, I'll find some other way.”

Adira felt dubious, but she concealed her apprehension. “Ok, but if you have the chance, spare the Minotaur’s life. Our friends the Rudaur would appreciate that.”

16992128040_6fea18e419_z.jpg

The elf put his book down and motioned Udgr to begin. The orc managed a quick salute to Adira before turning toward the Minotaur, sword drawn. The Minotaur, wearing only a pair of pants, stepped forward and took a defensive stance about fifteen paces away. For a few seconds neither moved. Just as Adira was beginning to think that Udgr's presumption would not come about the Minotaur let out a bellow and charged his footsteps shaking the earth as he neared.

Udgr didn't flinch.

17178005162_c1c48db150_z.jpg

Just as the Minotaur's war-club was about to hit the orc's head, Udgr ducked beneath it, letting it pass a mere few inches above his head, on of the spikes almost snagging on his hood. Fast as lightning, Udgr stepped in toward the Minotaur and sliced at his side.

17179647625_2f0512abbc_z.jpg

But as fast as Udgr was, the Minotaur was faster. Using his former momentum, he brought his weapon back just in time to block Udgr's blade with his handle. Then, while Udgr was still recuperating, he swung again at the orc, this time at his chest.

16559471913_50281cc543_z.jpg

Udgr leaped back, in a desperate attempt to dodge the blade. Adira shut her eyes, waiting for the sickening sound of cracking ribs. It never came.

17179048951_e5bc6d0dda_z.jpg

Adira opened her eyes just in time to see Udgr leaping through the air at the unbalanced Minotaur, blade raised. Surprise entered the Minotaur's eyes at seeing his opponent alive and at his throat. He made a move to bring up the handle of his war-club to block the incoming blade, but it was already too late.

16557217214_67a097a70e_z.jpg

There was a thud as Udgr's legs slammed into the Minotaur's chest, sending him hurtling to the ground. The earth shifted underneath Adira's feet as the Minotaur landed, the orc astride him. For a few fateful seconds Udgr's blade hovered over the Minotaur's neck, then he slowly stood, sheathing his sword.

The elf was running up now, waiving his hands, like that would make a difference. Udgr offered the Minotaur a hand, only to leap back out of the way as the creature nearly bit it off. He sidled over to where Adira stood, his eyes lingering on the red-eyed creature, which stared at the orc furiously, completely ignoring the outraged yelling of the elf official. “Poor creature. He has long been a slave of the Desert King, no doubt. I wish we could save him.”

“We may yet, Udgr.” Adira answered her mind elsewhere. We may yet win this war, but it would be a miracle.

17153719956_f1e3b73770_z.jpg

Da build. Ok, so that tree trunk is weird, I get it, but it's the only full dinosaur tail I own, so... live with it. I'll put it under the “Exotic” category. The landscaping I like, though I couldn't do much with it because of the size. The Pillar... tell me what you think.

Soli Deo Gloria & Sola Gracia!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow, no new UoP claims... I need to branch out!

:thumbup: Nice! Well in done with the limited footprint. The tree is perfectly reasonable for an elven settlement.

Really nice build, especially for such a small base. :thumbup:

Thanks! At least it's pretty much impossible to run out of pieces on something like this. :wink:

:thumbup: Nice! Well in done with the limited footprint. The tree is perfectly reasonable for an elven settlement.

Glad someone besides myself thinks so! :sweet:

Excellent entry! The base is great and I like the different colors in the landscape :thumbup:

Thank you! Yes, I'm quite obsessed with those colors at present. :grin:

Edited by Adair

Great job with the landscaping here, and the poses are well done too! :thumbup:

Excellent work! You really improved the landscaping, And the Tower is nice, if a bit out of place. But overall, excellent work.

and oh, by the way, nice build

Excellent entry! The base is great and I like the different colors in the landscape :thumbup:

Thank you!

Great job with the landscaping here, and the poses are well done too! :thumbup:

Thanks! It's rather difficult to post a Minotaur (mainly because of the head-piece), and I wasn't sure if I had succeeded with it, but I'm glad you think so!

Excellent work! You really improved the landscaping, And the Tower is nice, if a bit out of place. But overall, excellent work.

and oh, by the way, nice build

Ahh, your trademark. :grin: Thanks!

Would the monument look better on raised ground?

Great entry. Lots of detail packed into it and I loved the story.

Thank you! Yes, the story is the main thing, so I'm glad you appreciate it!

Great job! I really like the landscape and the minifigures. Furthermore the base is very nice, too :thumbup:

Great job! I really like the landscape and the minifigures. Furthermore the base is very nice, too :thumbup:

Thank you! That ugly elf though... :grin:

Beautiful colours and photography. Lovely build.

Lovely base, and nice tree! :thumbup:

Thanks!

Beautiful colours and photography. Lovely build.

Thank you! I really like those colors so... expect more. :classic:

You are always using some cool colours, Adair.

Nice build, cool posing and good story!

For the Republic - For the People!

Oh... Wow! That base is fantastic :classic:

Thank you!

You are always using some cool colours, Adair.

Nice build, cool posing and good story!

For the Republic - For the People!

Thank you! Your sand green is always pretty neat too!

Vive le Republique!

Wow, definitely one of my favorites in this minichallenge. Such pretty landscaping, the snoted portions are brilliant as is the monument. I think the olive-dark-sand green combo was a risky choice but worked out extremely well. This would look beautiful in Avalonia, Mitgardia and Noctunus too. Nice pics too!

Edited by MassEditor

Wow, definitely one of my favorites in this minichallenge. Such pretty landscaping, the snoted portions are brilliant as is the monument. I think the olive-dark-sand green combo was a risky choice but worked out extremely well. This would look beautiful in Avalonia, Mitgardia and Noctunus too. Nice pics too!

Thanks a lot! That olive was a stretch, but I don't think I had much alternative since I don't have many dk. brown 1x2 plates and no dk./sand green ones either. Glad it turned out well!

Wow Adair... This base is LovelY! Such a small moc but its so beautiful! Well made man...

I like the monument, the half stud offsets look neat, cool landscape too :thumbup:

Thanks! I thought that idea would be neat, and I'm glad it turned out well!

Wow Adair... This base is LovelY! Such a small moc but its so beautiful! Well made man...

Thank you! Yes, I was rather bummed at the size, but at least it allows me to do some good landscaping! :classic:

Adair, you may think the tree is weird, but I like it. I've spent quite a bit of time in the woods during my life and I've seen plenty of curved, twisted, bent, and bowed tree trunks that look downright unnatural (including a double-burl that looked like, well...size D). You've got lots of action going on here and it's well written (as always), plus the overall composition is nice. The monument/pillar looks weathered and fits the scene well. And all those varying greens are interesting.

Adair, you may think the tree is weird, but I like it. I've spent quite a bit of time in the woods during my life and I've seen plenty of curved, twisted, bent, and bowed tree trunks that look downright unnatural (including a double-burl that looked like, well...size D). You've got lots of action going on here and it's well written (as always), plus the overall composition is nice. The monument/pillar looks weathered and fits the scene well. And all those varying greens are interesting.

Thanks! I was actually talking about the color, but thanks!