Sign in to follow this  
Dorayaki

Elves minidolls into minifigs

Continuing Friends minifigures. I keep on doing the other original girls-oriented theme Elves, but it doesn't quite work as the last time. One main problem (for me, a MOC rookie) is that the Elves introduce several new skirt pieces that don't exist in minifigures' range, so in order to keep in line with other licensed minifigures like Marge Simpsons, I need to cut fabric by myself this time. The tattoos are also hand-applied here and they don't look quite natural.

Emily

17177971615_207518bc50.jpg

16970568427_3426af0779.jpg

Naida

16990449790_80a9984548.jpg

16557801813_31f9948fa0.jpg

Azari

16990448070_1d4bdd3250.jpg

17152043066_2e462721d3.jpg

Farran

17152043946_37cfce0091.jpg

17152043546_6c2b1f172a.jpg

Aira

16557805483_83755225c7.jpg

16970572007_25e1933594.jpg

16991787079_509d9339f0_c.jpg

To be quite honest, I think the designs do look better on the original minidolls better even if the minifigures can be improved further. But as long as elves already had their counterpartners in CMF series and Hobbit, it could be nice to see more original LEGO elf minifigures in the future line and Elves itself.

It is too bad (based on personal tastes) LEGO went with their minidoll design over the traditional minifigure as these are some of the more interesting characters I have seen in a while but there is no mistaking how well they used the minidoll body frame to great effect. Even so I feel like you proved the designs could still have worked as a minifigure.

These are somewhat nice... but you may have added too much detail to them. Things like extremely thin linework or gradient shading aren't that natural a look for minifigures, and they end up giving the figs a sort of "uncanny valley" effect. I feel like the figures would look better if you had kept the level of detail similar to that of the minidolls themselves—or, considering minifigures with colored eyes rarely look natural, even lowered the level of detail to better match them to traditional figs.

These are absolutely awesome... if TLG had released Elves with mifigures like these instead, I'd be on it in a New York minute.

Instead, while the builds are great, the minidolls are the most expensive part of the sets... if there were actually some market for them where I could trade them to get money back, I'd buy the sets. But I don't think you can get jack for minidolls, making the sets far too expensive, IMO.

Your minifigures here are almost perfect minifigure alternatives to the minidolls... absolutely outstanding work, Dorayaki. The only thing I'd like to see, if there were actually to be made, would be yellow instead of fleshies.

It is too bad (based on personal tastes) LEGO went with their minidoll design over the traditional minifigure as these are some of the more interesting characters I have seen in a while but there is no mistaking how well they used the minidoll body frame to great effect. Even so I feel like you proved the designs could still have worked as a minifigure.

True. I like the Elves minidoll line so far, but meanwhile it could be great if LEGO could improve the minifigures in a different direction.

These are somewhat nice... but you may have added too much detail to them. Things like extremely thin linework or gradient shading aren't that natural a look for minifigures, and they end up giving the figs a sort of "uncanny valley" effect. I feel like the figures would look better if you had kept the level of detail similar to that of the minidolls themselves—or, considering minifigures with colored eyes rarely look natural, even lowered the level of detail to better match them to traditional figs.

Thanks for these useful tips. I was indeed struggling that how to make the minidoll designs or characters designs visible on the minifigures but also have to make them look like minifigures. Like you said, it could be abit too much. I'll try to reduce the shadings with the eyes and torso next time with newer figs.

These are absolutely awesome... if TLG had released Elves with mifigures like these instead, I'd be on it in a New York minute.

Instead, while the builds are great, the minidolls are the most expensive part of the sets... if there were actually some market for them where I could trade them to get money back, I'd buy the sets. But I don't think you can get jack for minidolls, making the sets far too expensive, IMO.

Your minifigures here are almost perfect minifigure alternatives to the minidolls... absolutely outstanding work, Dorayaki. The only thing I'd like to see, if there were actually to be made, would be yellow instead of fleshies.

Thanx for overpraise :p. I agree that LEGO should do some homework on targeting at older AFOLs. I think skin color was the basic characteristic of the characters. Even though there have indeed been flesh characters using yellow figures as representing in LEGO history (like this), currently the ears of headgears have given colors and they could look good in line with Hobbit characters.

I also quite like the minidolls. My only real complaint is that the legs aren't independantly articulated.

That said, they do look quite nice as minifigs too! :classic:

Haven't updated the photoes for a very long time.... anyway, here' a very small update.

Skyra, the wind guardian

23051524962_0619c0a4dc_z.jpg

23051526272_f4739234af.jpg

23065120715_d3411c3410_c.jpg

23065121285_a232c10ba2_c.jpg

I love your newest addition, Dorayaki! Your Skyra turned out very nicely and the minifig body suits her very well. She looks quite authentic next to Galadriel.

Thanx for all supports! :blush:

How did you make Skyra's dress?

You mean print on the 4x4 slope?

I love your newest addition, Dorayaki! Your Skyra turned out very nicely and the minifig body suits her very well. She looks quite authentic next to Galadriel.

Glad you think so. :) I believe that Elves should be the most compatible LEGO theme with Hobbit if they used the same figure system.

I 100% agree these would make the best minifigs instead of the dolls...i wish they were interchangeable more...

I adore them!   I'd love if lego made a pack of these minifigures!  Are you going to make Sirra, Cronan, Ragana and Tidus?

I love the concept.  Minidolls are the bane of the Elves theme.  You've done a good job at recreating the characters as minifigures, showing how good the theme could have looked.  It makes me wonder how much more money I would have spent on LEGO had they made this choice.  The answer, quite a lot.