msx80

[Software] Blueprint, a building instruction generator for LDD

Hi all, I know this is an old thread but just wanted to ask - how do I get the latest version of Blueprint? What a fab idea!

I downloaded the zip from the original post, is this the latest version?

I am building a City Police MOC for my 7yo for her Xmas present so will need clear instructions to go with it.

Hi all, I know this is an old thread but just wanted to ask - how do I get the latest version of Blueprint? What a fab idea!

I downloaded the zip from the original post, is this the latest version?

I am building a City Police MOC for my 7yo for her Xmas present so will need clear instructions to go with it.

Yes, the first post in the thread is updated whenever a new release comes out. That is the most current public version. If you follow the forum he sometimes will post a link to an almost-released version in a post.

No it's closed source, sorry

Shame. I'd love to have a look through it and maybe even convert it to C# with unmanaged code to see if the performance can be improved.

This is a great software package, but a Mac version would be perfect for me (EL Capitan). I tried using it in Virtualbox with Windows XP and 7 but they don't have the the OpenGL drivers. I does work on my kids windows 10 machine, but I really do not like Windows. If you need a tester for Mac I would be glad to help.

Shame. I'd love to have a look through it and maybe even convert it to C# with unmanaged code to see if the performance can be improved.

It always baffles me that people create closed-source software for their hobby. Why do it? Why throw such effort away? Closed source software make sense if it is being sold, or when money is made somehow, but freeware used for hobby? I just don't get it.

It always baffles me that people create closed-source software for their hobby. Why do it? Why throw such effort away? Closed source software make sense if it is being sold, or when money is made somehow, but freeware used for hobby? I just don't get it.

Well, of course people can do whatever they want with code made in their free time, right? Distributing an useful program for free is better than having no program at all, i think. If you prefer to pay for a closed source software instead of having it for free, you're welcome to pay :)

I guess people have many reason to keep a software closed source, mainly, i think, to keep control over it (avoiding forks etc). I'm actually a supporter of open source code, i've made many open source programs and collaborated with many more.

The reason Blueprint and Bluerender are closed source is simple: it's becouse they contain code to access (and extract) Lego intellectual properties contained in LDD. Which is against LDD eula. With the sources of these programs, it would be trivial to write a program to extract the whole database of brick geometries and decorations, something Lego might have some problem with. I've paid great attention in my programs to avoid "leaking" any IP data, like in temp file or such. Reverse engineering for the sake of interoperability is explicitly allowed by law, simply extracting IP data for the sake of it is not.

Of course i've never heard from Lego about this, but this is exacly the same way LDD2POVRAY works, and i'm sure (for first hand experience) that Lego tolerates it and even sometime endorses it (like in competitions), so i'm pretty sure they're ok with this way to proceed.

Couldn’t you place the db.lif extraction in a library?

That would allow others to study / work / help on the other parts (like making the UI work on other systems).

As an aside, I’d really like a command line version of Bluerender, for batch renders and also, for not having to have an open session on my screen-less server. :sweet:

@msx80 All we need is to have TLG buy your programs and employ you full-time to make these canonical programs!

The reason Blueprint and Bluerender are closed source is simple: it's becouse they contain code to access (and extract) Lego intellectual properties contained in LDD. Which is against LDD eula. With the sources of these programs, it would be trivial to write a program to extract the whole database of brick geometries and decorations, something Lego might have some problem with. I've paid great attention in my programs to avoid "leaking" any IP data, like in temp file or such. Reverse engineering for the sake of interoperability is explicitly allowed by law, simply extracting IP data for the sake of it is not.

Of course i've never heard from Lego about this, but this is exacly the same way LDD2POVRAY works, and i'm sure (for first hand experience) that Lego tolerates it and even sometime endorses it (like in competitions), so i'm pretty sure they're ok with this way to proceed.

You may of cause keep results of your effort for yourself as any closed-source software do. Just mind that:

Your explanation is wrong all over. You did not signed NDA with Lego Group. So, it does not matter whether you distribute your code as source, as compiled binary or printed on t-shirt. On the other hand, if you reverse-engineered file format: it is completely legal thing to do, and many open source projects do just that. Lego "tolerates" it because they can't do anything. The only way to protect file format is to patent it, and I can't recall any such program.

Woah woah woah. Guys, I am jut a little codie who wanted to take a look at this. The producer of the software can do whatever they want with their software open or closed. Don't argue about this please.

Personally, my interest in wanting to look is I can see a few places that have potential for optimisation and I'd love to see if I could figure out a way to improve it.

Woah woah woah. Guys, I am jut a little codie who wanted to take a look at this. The producer of the software can do whatever they want with their software open or closed. Don't argue about this please.

Of cause, nobody argue about it. Keep it closed or open, for reason or "just because". But please don't misguide anyone by quoting "possible IP infringement" as a reason - it doesn't work that way.

Any chance to get an update of Blueprint? I'd really like to have a bill of materials generated at the end.

Lately i've been super busy at work on new projects :( i hope i can resume working on blueprint as soon as possible.. actually a couple of days ago i tryed and tackled the "update model" function which is currently super broken..

This happened to somebody else too.. Looks like some problem with the graphic card or opengl drivers..

Lately i've been super busy at work on new projects :( i hope i can resume working on blueprint as soon as possible.. actually a couple of days ago i tryed and tackled the "update model" function which is currently super broken..

I was just asking, I know how we can get very busy at times... Indeed the "update model" function is quite buggy :laugh:

Good news everyone! I probably managed to fix the update model feature. If anybody wants to give it a test before i call it closed, there's a preview of 0017 here.

Good news everyone! I probably managed to fix the update model feature. If anybody wants to give it a test before i call it closed, there's a preview of 0017 here.

It seems to work fine! Strange thing, it changed the order of the submodels.

Now I just need a part inventory it will be perfect :wink:

Hi! Could I ask for a little help?

I'm trying to use Blueprint on linux (Arch Linux), but it doesn't seem to start.

I use the command invocation that can be found in the .bat file.

It gives the folloving output in the terminal, however I get nothing else, no window appears:

$ java -Djava.library.path=native -jar bin/blueprint.jar
Operating system detected: Linux
Starting Blueprint v0.0.1.6beta.. Good luck!
Current folder: /home/emoryy/prog/Blueprint0016

I also tried Bluerender, which starts and runs without an issue.

Thanks!

oh man, I just came across this little gem. This is just PERFECT in functionality. Maybe a firm can make it more eye candy, but this program works like a charm. Moving pieces around and keeping your model updated in the next steps is wonderful !

tnx. I'll be using this a lot in the future (even if it wasn't for free ;)

Edited by perrush

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this. It lacks some features to be able to make instructions that can actually be printed, but it's a step in the right direction. One bug to report is that when you increase the Parts Zoom Percentage, it still renders the part quantity number in the same font size.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this. It lacks some features to be able to make instructions that can actually be printed, but it's a step in the right direction. One bug to report is that when you increase the Parts Zoom Percentage, it still renders the part quantity number in the same font size.

That issue was already reported in the bug tracking system (issue #102), and msx80 has already agreed to look into it. :)

If you're still looking for Mac / OSX help, I have basic knowledge of Java, know my way around bash and I'm really good at debugging stuff lol.

FYI, on El capital Version 0016 just hang when Java is launched with this command from inside the unzipped Folder

java -Djava.library.path=native -jar ./bin/blueprint.jar

Debug:

Operating system detected: MacOS
Current folder: /Users/malou/Downloads/Blueprint0016

Version 0015 do launch with this command from inside the unzipped Folder:

java -Djava.library.path=./native/macosx/x64 -jar ./bin/blueprint.jar

I get this:

biOS1az.png

When I click ok:

6SV5d4W.png

But I don't have the dialog to find where is the db.lif file like in Bluerender (which works fine on my mac btw)

Debug:

Starting Blueprint.. Good luck!
déc. 12, 2015 12:29:14 PM com.sun.javafx.css.StyleManager getCachedImage
WARNING: Error loading image: rsrc:dialog-information.png
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Folder parameter must be a valid folder
at com.sun.glass.ui.CommonDialogs.convertFolder(CommonDialogs.java:238)
at com.sun.glass.ui.CommonDialogs.showFileChooser(CommonDialogs.java:190)
at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.showFileChooser(QuantumToolkit.java:1496)
at javafx.stage.FileChooser.showDialog(FileChooser.java:416)
at javafx.stage.FileChooser.showOpenDialog(FileChooser.java:350)
at blueprint.Blueprint.c(Unknown Source)
at blueprint.Blueprint.b(Unknown Source)
at blueprint.Blueprint.initApp(Unknown Source)
at blueprint.a.start(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$162(LauncherImpl.java:863)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$175(PlatformImpl.java:326)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$173(PlatformImpl.java:295)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$174(PlatformImpl.java:294)
at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
déc. 12, 2015 12:29:18 PM com.sun.javafx.css.StyleManager getCachedImage
WARNING: Error loading image: rsrc:dialog-error.png

PM me ;)

Edited by Malou

If you're still looking for Mac / OSX help, I have basic knowledge of Java, know my way around bash and I'm really good at debugging stuff lol.

FYI, on El capital Version 0016 just hang when Java is launched with this command from inside the unzipped Folder

java -Djava.library.path=native -jar ./bin/blueprint.jar

Debug:

Current folder: /Users/malou/Downloads/Blueprint0016

Version 0015 do launch with this command from inside the unzipped Folder:

java -Djava.library.path=./native/macosx/x64 -jar ./bin/blueprint.jar

I get this:

When I click ok:

But I don't have the dialog to find where is the db.lif file like in Bluerender (which works fine on my mac btw)

PM me ;)

The exact same thing happens for me on Linux.

Edited by Emoryy