msx80

[Software] Blueprint, a building instruction generator for LDD

5 hours ago, Mars said:

>> Can you please make a option for Export PNG image with Transparent background?

>I can look into it but what would this be useful for ?

Put image to not solid color background, like this sky background:

skybg.jpg

There's already an option for that, you can add a line like:

page.background=C:\path\image.png

to your blueprint.ini, and it will use that image as a background (also, if the image has an alpha channel, you'll see the page color below the image)

(should really document this options)

5 hours ago, Mars said:

>> Add option for part numbers in steps

>uhm what is this exacly? :)

like below picture. If possible, please add a function in step designs: copy parts id, name, (image) to clipboard.

partid.jpg

copy parts to clipboard

uhm i may add design id but i don't have part id. Design name would be much too long to fit

design id would be good. please add copy parts to clipboard function.

page.background=C:\path\image.png is great, but if we can Export PNG images with Transparent background, then we could play with the images in Photoshop more easier.

17 hours ago, Mars said:

Can anyone tell me where can I find blueprint.ini in Mac? Thank you.

Should be an hidden file at the root of your user account (~/.blueprint.ini)

Problem with MacOS, you'll probably need the terminal to open / edit this file :(

On 2017-4-27 at 10:52 AM, msx80 said:

I'll probably implement axle/beam lengths soon, which is easy and useful. So to prepare i'm asking your help to compile a list of all parts that require a length, you can contribute here on a pubic file. Axle and beams and anything else that has different lengths (chains? tubes?) The file will be shipped with Blueprint so you'll be able to modify your copy to add or remove part lengths.

Hi @msx80,

I have just added the lengths for all the axles and beams to your online provided list, as this is what most people (and me) would really want to have added asap:) Would it be possible to bring out an interim new version of the program with the beam and axles included or do you want to wait for the whole list to be completed? Thanks again for the amazing work you did already. Keep up the good work!

When do you think it would be possible to bring out the new release? Can't wait:)

Edited by Carl86

On 2017-5-10 at 2:55 PM, msx80 said:

Thanks @Carl86 :)

Yes i can release a new version with an incomplete list, probably next week!

Sounds awesome. Thanks. Looking forward:)

Hey @msx80!

I've been having a weird problem. I have a model that I successfully made instructions of. After building, however, I realized some issues and changes that I needed to make; made them in LDD, and then used the 'Update Design' feature to add the changes in. However, all the files that have been updated will not load the first 1 to 2 pages under the page layout tab, and as a result it will not produce a functional PDF or any other file formats. It's definitely something in the files, as I've tried it on both Windows and Mac. This is the command prompt error messages that show when you try to '(re)generate from steps' on Windows: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwMueJbuariEc3pCcGs0OE9ZR00

Speaking of the "Update Design" feature. I happen to use this a lot. Every single time (100% repeatable) when I update the design, all of the parts currently in step 1 of blueprint will move to the very last step. This is even if the parts in step 1 have nothing to do with what was added or removed. All of the new parts always show up in the first steps as expected, but I see no reason to move the parts in step 1 to the very end. Fortunately it isn't very hard to go to the last step, copy the parts there to the clipboard, and move them back to step 1. But it is strange nonetheless.

@MrGibbage Just add an empty step at the beggining before updating. 

7 hours ago, Dakar A said:

Hey @msx80!

I've been having a weird problem. I have a model that I successfully made instructions of. After building, however, I realized some issues and changes that I needed to make; made them in LDD, and then used the 'Update Design' feature to add the changes in. However, all the files that have been updated will not load the first 1 to 2 pages under the page layout tab, and as a result it will not produce a functional PDF or any other file formats. It's definitely something in the files, as I've tried it on both Windows and Mac. This is the command prompt error messages that show when you try to '(re)generate from steps' on Windows: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwMueJbuariEc3pCcGs0OE9ZR00

Hi there, it looks like you have a ghost submodel. Look for some small "gap" on a step, like this one in the middle. Delete the step and it should work.

F83wasB.png

7 hours ago, MrGibbage said:

Speaking of the "Update Design" feature. I happen to use this a lot. Every single time (100% repeatable) when I update the design, all of the parts currently in step 1 of blueprint will move to the very last step. This is even if the parts in step 1 have nothing to do with what was added or removed. All of the new parts always show up in the first steps as expected, but I see no reason to move the parts in step 1 to the very end. Fortunately it isn't very hard to go to the last step, copy the parts there to the clipboard, and move them back to step 1. But it is strange nonetheless.

I know that, i don't remember why i made it that way but there was a reason (maybe). I'll see if it works without!

Thank you so much, that solved the problem!

@msx80, It has been a long time since I've posted to this forum.  I'm glad to see it's still alive and kicking!  My apologies for the length of this post...

Yesterday, I tried to use Blueprint for the first time to create a quality set of instructions for a more complex model.  The model only has about 210 parts but has multiple sub-models, and some sub-sub-models.  It was an illuminating experience.

I started taking notes of all the things I found hard to do but after a while though, I realized they had some common aspects.  In particular, as the number of steps and sub-models increases, having them all laid out linearly makes manipulation and comprehension difficult.

Then I had an idea.  I propose that you add a tree control (Swing or JavaFX) to a collapsible panel on the left side of the step view.  This tree would spread vertically from top to bottom and would show the entire hierarchical structure of the document. "Folder" nodes would represent models and submodels, while "file" (leaf) nodes would represent individual steps.

In addition to letting you see the structure better, the tree could be used to make manipulation much easier.  Here are just some of the things that could be done easily:

• Move a sub-model by dragging it in the tree
  • Moveg a step by dragging it in the tree
  • Select a range of steps and creating a new folder/submodel for them
  • Unpack a sub-model
  • Delete a sub-model/step by clicking on the folder/file and hitting delete (or using a context menu item)
  • Name sub-models by allowing tree folder names to be editable
  • Scroll directly to a sub-model or step in the scroll pane by double-clicking it in the tree
  • Sub-model commands could be applied to the folder node instead of being available on all the steps of a sub-model (which is how it works today but doesn't make as much sense)
  • Each folder node could use a context menu to access actions and properties - you already have some concept of model properties (e.g., "page.color.0")
  • The top-level folder would map to document-level actions and properties, some of which would act as defaults for sub-model properties.  Some useful folder actions and properties you could support this way:
    • Toggle the callout flag for a sub-model
    • Hide/ignore the submodel and any of it's children (this could be used to eliminate some parts from the finished instructions or just to temporarily limit clutter on the scroll pane)
    • Set a background color or image for a submodel
    • Choose to hide the final "summary" step for a sub-model
    • Set zoom-and-pan settings for a sub-model to allow the view to better show a target area of a larger model
    • Parts and instruction zoom levels
  • The BOM could be created as a separate sub-model (folder), allowing it to have different properties

I'm curious what you think of this idea.  I do think it would not only make it easier to understand and navigate the document, but it would also provide an intuitive place to put actions and properties.  If you think there is merit to this, I can create issues for you.

Hi MSX80,

First of all I will thank you for this great software, I use it often and with lot of fun and results. I understand it when you can't supply every single wish, how usefull it may be. But there is one feature, often asked, that's the zoom function. Especially with large technic models you can't find the small pieces anymore. I have a 25"screen and consider to buy a larger one, but it will not solve all the visibility problems.

I will very gratefull

5 hours ago, jokey02 said:

Hi MSX80,

First of all I will thank you for this great software, I use it often and with lot of fun and results. I understand it when you can't supply every single wish, how usefull it may be. But there is one feature, often asked, that's the zoom function. Especially with large technic models you can't find the small pieces anymore. I have a 25"screen and consider to buy a larger one, but it will not solve all the visibility problems.

I will very gratefull

Another vote here, although I'd make it zoom-and-pan. That way you can make it easier to see where the added parts or sub-model is connecting on a larger model.

For the size of the preview image, maybe a simple fix could be to show the selected step in a second windows or pane? Something on the side we could resized how we want it... or hide completely if not necessary.

Hi @msx80,

How is it going on the new release? Not to put pressure on you but I’m soo excited for this. Then I can finally finish my design and upload it to the community. Let us know when we can do something to help. Is the part list I filled in completed as you liked?

Cheers, Carl

On 19/5/2017 at 6:46 AM, iceleftd said:

@msx80, It has been a long time since I've posted to this forum.  I'm glad to see it's still alive and kicking!  My apologies for the length of this post...

Yesterday, I tried to use Blueprint for the first time to create a quality set of instructions for a more complex model.  The model only has about 210 parts but has multiple sub-models, and some sub-sub-models.  It was an illuminating experience.

I started taking notes of all the things I found hard to do but after a while though, I realized they had some common aspects.  In particular, as the number of steps and sub-models increases, having them all laid out linearly makes manipulation and comprehension difficult.

Then I had an idea.  I propose that you add a tree control (Swing or JavaFX) to a collapsible panel on the left side of the step view.  This tree would spread vertically from top to bottom and would show the entire hierarchical structure of the document. "Folder" nodes would represent models and submodels, while "file" (leaf) nodes would represent individual steps.

In addition to letting you see the structure better, the tree could be used to make manipulation much easier.  Here are just some of the things that could be done easily:

• Move a sub-model by dragging it in the tree
  • Moveg a step by dragging it in the tree
  • Select a range of steps and creating a new folder/submodel for them
  • Unpack a sub-model
  • Delete a sub-model/step by clicking on the folder/file and hitting delete (or using a context menu item)
  • Name sub-models by allowing tree folder names to be editable
  • Scroll directly to a sub-model or step in the scroll pane by double-clicking it in the tree
  • Sub-model commands could be applied to the folder node instead of being available on all the steps of a sub-model (which is how it works today but doesn't make as much sense)
  • Each folder node could use a context menu to access actions and properties - you already have some concept of model properties (e.g., "page.color.0")
  • The top-level folder would map to document-level actions and properties, some of which would act as defaults for sub-model properties.  Some useful folder actions and properties you could support this way:
    • Toggle the callout flag for a sub-model
    • Hide/ignore the submodel and any of it's children (this could be used to eliminate some parts from the finished instructions or just to temporarily limit clutter on the scroll pane)
    • Set a background color or image for a submodel
    • Choose to hide the final "summary" step for a sub-model
    • Set zoom-and-pan settings for a sub-model to allow the view to better show a target area of a larger model
    • Parts and instruction zoom levels
  • The BOM could be created as a separate sub-model (folder), allowing it to have different properties

I'm curious what you think of this idea.  I do think it would not only make it easier to understand and navigate the document, but it would also provide an intuitive place to put actions and properties.  If you think there is merit to this, I can create issues for you.

well this is a very tought out proposal :) Perhaps i could make the treelist on the side with some initial functions, to start with (the easiest one). I kinda feel JavaFx will fight back badly :)

On 19/5/2017 at 11:52 AM, jokey02 said:

Hi MSX80,

I will very gratefull

Thanks! Zoom is a little hard to implement, i'll try when i find some time and inspiration

On 23/5/2017 at 4:19 PM, Carl86 said:

Hi @msx80,

How is it going on the new release? Not to put pressure on you but I’m soo excited for this. Then I can finally finish my design and upload it to the community. Let us know when we can do something to help. Is the part list I filled in completed as you liked?

Cheers, Carl

Actually i've implemented part lengths, working arrows and custom texts support, and align right/bottom. I guess i'll realease it as it is for now :)

1 hour ago, msx80 said:

Ok here's VERSION 26, let me know if it works. i've implemented part lengths, working arrows and custom texts support, and align right/bottom.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzUUT2x-DvwQNlNNa3hTLWtyaVE/view?usp=sharing

Hi @msx80,

This is truly amazing and looks so good. Thank you so much!

I have only noticed that in the part list in the end the axle/beam numbers are not included. Not a big deal but would be nice if they were included.

Also the text and arrow functions are great and really usefull now.

Only one problem I noticed before is that when you click "(re)generate from steps" button (or update you model ldd file and than click the regenerate button) that all the allignment settings,, postion, text, arrows etc I made are deleted. I regenerate because sometimes I make a mistake in the ldd and have to update the ldd file.
I can imagine that this is hard to solve as you completely regenerate all pages. Or would it be possible to attach and save the settings to certain steps?
This request is not priority but would be really nice and usefull to have in the future.

Again thank you for your fast service!

Cheers, Carl

2 hours ago, Carl86 said:

Hi @msx80,

This is truly amazing and looks so good. Thank you so much!

I have only noticed that in the part list in the end the axle/beam numbers are not included. Not a big deal but would be nice if they were included.

Also the text and arrow functions are great and really usefull now.

Only one problem I noticed before is that when you click "(re)generate from steps" button (or update you model ldd file and than click the regenerate button) that all the allignment settings,, postion, text, arrows etc I made are deleted. I regenerate because sometimes I make a mistake in the ldd and have to update the ldd file.
I can imagine that this is hard to solve as you completely regenerate all pages. Or would it be possible to attach and save the settings to certain steps?
This request is not priority but would be really nice and usefull to have in the future.

Again thank you for your fast service!

Cheers, Carl

Ops, i'll include length in BOM asap.

For the problem: unfortunately arrows, texts, positions etc are attached to the layout, if you change the "structure" of the model, the layout has to be recalculated. The only thing you can do is the "regenerate page" command which regenerates a single page instead of the whole layout, so you only loose that stuff

All Hail @msx80

Thank you for this update :D :D :D :D

Edit when i try to run it i get this error:

Operating system detected: Windows
Starting Blueprint v0026.. Good luck!
Current folder: C:\Users\Johnny\Desktop\Lego\Blueprint0026
Initializing database..
Database is located in: C:\Users\Johnny\AppData\Roaming\Blueprint\database\brickcache.db
Cache is up to date (1x2248.1)
Exception in Application start method
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplicationWithArgs(LauncherImpl.java:389)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication(LauncherImpl.java:328)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper$FXHelper.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception in Application start method
        at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication1(LauncherImpl.java:917)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication$155(LauncherImpl.java:182)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Failed to load library: native\glfw.dll (error code = 126)
        at org.lwjgl.system.windows.WindowsLibrary.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.lwjgl.system.APIUtil.apiCreateLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at org.lwjgl.system.Library.loadNative(Unknown Source)
        at org.lwjgl.system.Library.loadNative(Unknown Source)
        at org.lwjgl.glfw.GLFW.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
        at blueprint.opengl.a.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at blueprint.opengl.d.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at blueprint.opengl.b.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at blueprint.b.b.a.a(Unknown Source)
        at blueprint.Blueprint.b(Unknown Source)
        at blueprint.Blueprint.initApp(Unknown Source)
        at a.a.start(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$162(LauncherImpl.java:863)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$175(PlatformImpl.java:326)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$173(PlatformImpl.java:295)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$174(PlatformImpl.java:294)
        at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
        at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
        at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$null$148(WinApplication.java:191)
        ... 1 more
Exception running application blueprint.Blueprint
Press any key to continue . . .

Windows 10 64 bit.
Already tried to reinstall java, run the cmd as admin (Then i get a complete other error)
Got any suggestion cause i want to try out the new stuff :( 

Edited by kokkie20