msx80

[Software] Blueprint, a building instruction generator for LDD

In LDD, the motor is an assembly of the two parts, so that’s where the two parts come from. (Also, the part IDs are “wrong” in LDD: 54715 is supposed to be only the left part but LDD uses that ID for the whole housing.)

And you’re right, it seems Blueprint doesn’t differentiate sub-parts from assemblies and standalone parts.

Ok i've created version 0024 with two modifications:

• Added an "Add Page" command on the layout.
  • Solved the CTRL-S bug that unintendedly rotated the step.

Here's the new version

If Malou is so kind to package a Mac version, i'll finally update the first post which is shamefully outdated

Thank you for the update!

Hopefully in a future version we get text support (With arrows and such :D )

Thank you again! 

Many thanks to you for this software. I just downloaded 0024 for the Mac, and I don't think that I see all of the commands that have been discussed (Add/Delete Step, Create Submodel, etc). All I have available are Cut, Paste, Change Color and Use as Base Orientation for the Model. Is this a limitation of the Mac version, or do I need to download additional software or perform additional steps?

Hello, lately some people complained about Blueprint running slow and going out of memory, so i guess i could tell everybody here about some solutions. They were all running 32 bit java, so basically switching to 64 bit java and increasing memory heap size should greatly improve usage.

you could check wethere you're running 32 bit or 64 bit java. You're probably running 32 bit which is way slower and won't use more than 1 GB of ram. You can check it with "java -version" at a command prompt, mine says:

java version "1.8.0_111"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_111-b14)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.111-b14, mixed mode)

(note the 64 bit). In case, you can download it from here (Windows x64 Offline): http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Then you can try incresing ram available to the virtual machine, to do this open blueprint.bat with a text editor and add this small token (the bold one):

java -Xmx2048m -cp "bin/blueprint.jar" -Djava.library.path=native blueprint.Blueprint

2048 is the amount of MB to allocate at most, you can try greater values but after a top value java won't start. Just try some values :)

On 2017-04-08 at 9:20 PM, Hookem59 said:

Many thanks to you for this software. I just downloaded 0024 for the Mac, and I don't think that I see all of the commands that have been discussed (Add/Delete Step, Create Submodel, etc). All I have available are Cut, Paste, Change Color and Use as Base Orientation for the Model. Is this a limitation of the Mac version, or do I need to download additional software or perform additional steps?

No, the software doesn't have additional steps or differences between the mac and windows version (it's the same java app). 

The options you see depend where you right click. Try on the part list, then on the model image above said list. 

4 hours ago, Malou said:

No, the software doesn't have additional steps or differences between the mac and windows version (it's the same java app). 

The options you see depend where you right click. Try on the part list, then on the model image above said list. 

Thank you again for the assistance. I learned that if I use Control-Click, I get the submenu on the parts list, but not on the model image. However, if I use a two-finger click on the trackpad, I get the submenus on both. Thanks!

Yeah, I just tested and you need to do normal right click, ctrl+click won't work on the model.

Hi MSX80,

Can you please add two options in page layout:

1. add parts numbers in steps

2. choose colour for Highlight added parts

Thank you very much.

I'm currently working on instructions for a modular building MOC. Would be helpful if we could adjust the size of the preview model. I have a very large screen, but that doesn't help me with the very small pieces :( 

See below. If I could set the model image to be bigger, it would be easier to see which part is selected. Taller and larger image. I don't mind seeing less parts in that case (see the whole bottom of the screen which is white anyway). Thanks !

JYCYnOd.png

This would be very useful. I asked for it many times.

I hope it could be possible.

On 19/4/2017 at 8:55 PM, motya105 said:

Hi MSX80, thank you for creating this software! Would it be possible to modify the program to output text-based instructions based on a graphical model? I'm a blind Lego fan, my sighted friend and I invented a system that lets blind people build Lego sets independently using text-based instructions, you can learn more at: http://youtu.be/hVy5E2DZkKM Would it also be possible to use other part names than those defined by TLG/LDD? My friend and I invented custom piece names to make the building process easier for those who've had no previous experience with Lego. If the process of text-based-instruction-creation could be automated, then  many more Lego sets could be made accessible to blind builders.   Thank you! Matthew Shifrin

Hi there, i've never heard of that system :) I'll look at the video when i'm home, if it's not too hard i'll surely look into it.

On 24/4/2017 at 1:21 AM, Malou said:

I'm currently working on instructions for a modular building MOC. Would be helpful if we could adjust the size of the preview model. I have a very large screen, but that doesn't help me with the very small pieces :( 

See below. If I could set the model image to be bigger, it would be easier to see which part is selected. Taller and larger image. I don't mind seeing less parts in that case (see the whole bottom of the screen which is white anyway). Thanks !

I agree that it would be useful. Unfortunately it's not very easy to implement, i guess it'll have to wait. When i have the problem i usually prefer to split the model into submodels, but i reckon the one you posted is not easy to split.

On 24/4/2017 at 0:55 AM, Mars said:

Hi MSX80,

Can you please add two options in page layout:

1. add parts numbers in steps

2. choose colour for Highlight added parts

Thank you very much.

perhaps in future releases!

New version 0025! With very small changes:

- You can now set custom colors on pages. There's no UI, you have to change the config file at C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\blueprint.ini and set properties like this: page.color.0=#d5ecf9
The color is in RGB and the index is the submodel depth (0 main model, 1 first level submodel etc)
- There's a new function Merge design: you can now open a model and then merge a second model in it. It's useful if you have some illegal connection: you can split your model into two legal models and then handle it in Blueprint (which of course doesn't have collision detection and such).

Enjoy it here

51 minutes ago, msx80 said:

- You can now set custom colors on pages. There's no UI, you have to change the config file at C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\blueprint.ini and set properties like this: page.color.0=#d5ecf9
The color is in RGB and the index is the submodel depth (0 main model, 1 first level submodel etc)
- There's a new function Merge design: you can now open a model and then merge a second model in it. It's useful if you have some illegal connection: you can split your model into two legal models and then handle it in Blueprint (which of course doesn't have collision detection and such).

Enjoy it here

Hi msx 80,

Great work, absolutely love the program!

One small suggestion and of course I understand you are busy. But would it be possible to generate the numbers of the lengths of axles and beams in lego technic designs in the building instructions.
I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement this but that's the only feature missing from being perfect. I see that every part carries it's length in it's name.

You will make a lot of lego technic builders happy:)

Can you tell me how hard it is for you to implement. Or if it's possible at all.

Thanks and keep up the amazing good work.

4 hours ago, msx80 said:

Hi there, i've never heard of that system :) I'll look at the video when i'm home, if it's not too hard i'll surely look into it.

I agree that it would be useful. Unfortunately it's not very easy to implement, i guess it'll have to wait. When i have the problem i usually prefer to split the model into submodels, but i reckon the one you posted is not easy to split.

perhaps in future releases!

Enjoy it here

Great changes.

Can you please make a option for Export PNG image with Transparent background? Thank you.

@msx80

At first thank you again for this awesome release!
Also thank you for still maintaining this program.

Few suggestions already posted by people listed for you:

• Add option for part numbers in steps
  • Axle/beam length for technic
  • Transparent page export (No clue why but it was requested?)
  • Possible option to zoom in when moving parts (For big models, i know you said about submodels ;) )
  • Choose color for highlighting parts
  • Text + Arrow support (so you can add small information and such :D )

Like i said above, thank you again for all the awesome work you have putted into this software and making our lives very easy!
Keep up the great work!!

thanks! I'll look into this suggestion :) currently i'm working on it as needed, for some projects i'm following, but i'll pick them up asap :)

Btw, if anybody feels like, i'm accepting donations at https://www.paypal.me/msx80

Any amount is very welcome and perhaps i can list supporters on the About page in the program :)

PS there's an experimental arrow support, should work ok but it's a little hard to use. You have to add it on a step (selecting any component of it), then it has two handles, one for each end, that you can drag around

1 hour ago, msx80 said:

Btw, if anybody feels like, i'm accepting donations at https://www.paypal.me/msx80

I in fact absolutely feel like that! (just please be patient - PayPal is reviewing my transaction, for some stupid reason...)

I may not be too active on this forum but am following this thread for quite a long time now, and am using this shiny gem extensively, on a daily basis.

If I may, just two little suggestions, if at all possible to be implemented at some stage:

• add Align to Bottom and to Right, in addition to Top and Left (which already helped big time)
  • add the option to generate submodels in callout mode also horizontally, in addition to vertically

Regardless of the above - HUGE thanks for this program, please keep up the great work!

Julius

12 hours ago, msx80 said:

Enjoy it here

Mac version is up! http://dl.bbqsoftwares.com/LDD/Blueprint0025.dmg

(+1 for submodels... but sometimes it's not possible :(. Also, +1 for keeping a list of feature request. Helps keeps tracks of what people already asked for ^^)

8 hours ago, msx80 said:

Done.  Thank you for updating and improving an already great tool.

Kudos to msx80 for having the patience and politeness to entertain requests, too.  Some of the suggestions are useful and of great benefit to many users, but others...I shake my head, and hope that Nick doesn't waste his time pursuing a solution that brings no or low added value to the majority set of users (or paying supporters) of Blueprint.

Thanks everybody for your kind donations :) To be clear, this is not "pay to have your feature", it's just what it is, a donation to show support :) At the moment i only have time for small changes so hard to program features will have to wait.

I'll probably implement axle/beam lengths soon, which is easy and useful. So to prepare i'm asking your help to compile a list of all parts that require a length, you can contribute here on a pubic file. Axle and beams and anything else that has different lengths (chains? tubes?) The file will be shipped with Blueprint so you'll be able to modify your copy to add or remove part lengths.

> Add option for part numbers in steps

uhm what is this exacly? :)

> Can you please make a option for Export PNG image with Transparent background?

I can look into it but what would this be useful for ?

16 hours ago, msx80 said:

Thanks everybody for your kind donations :) To be clear, this is not "pay to have your feature", it's just what it is, a donation to show support :) At the moment i only have time for small changes so hard to program features will have to wait.

I'll probably implement axle/beam lengths soon, which is easy and useful. So to prepare i'm asking your help to compile a list of all parts that require a length, you can contribute here on a pubic file. Axle and beams and anything else that has different lengths (chains? tubes?) The file will be shipped with Blueprint so you'll be able to modify your copy to add or remove part lengths.

> Can you please make a option for Export PNG image with Transparent background?

>> Can you please make a option for Export PNG image with Transparent background?

>I can look into it but what would this be useful for ?

Put image to not solid color background, like this sky background:

skybg.jpg

17 hours ago, msx80 said:

>> Add option for part numbers in steps

>uhm what is this exacly? :)

like below picture. If possible, please add a function in step designs: copy parts id, name, (image) to clipboard.

partid.jpg

copy parts to clipboard

copy-1.jpg.87b4a2eda14ae26e4b6299b7261f6627.jpg

Edited by Mars