Anio

[MOC] UCS A-Wing

EDIT :

Professional building instruction available for sale. See the end of the first post.

You can email me at setechnic@gmail.com

/EDIT

Dear Lego Fans,

You have been looking for a UCS A-Wing for quite a long time ? Then this may be the MOC you are looking for.

16537869954_fec5d75255_b.jpgUCS A-Wing by Anio, sur Flickr

17134355426_c6e94cb7d8_b.jpgUCS A-Wing by Anio, sur Flickr

16537868194_df7fc03e21_b.jpgUCS A-Wing by Anio, sur Flickr

It's been a while the UCS A-Wing is on my todo list... More or less 5 years. And each time I tried to design it, I failed...

In 2015, I reworked on that project, and it seemed that all the problem I had were gone. At least, I could find tricks and solution for each of them.

So, I could build the UCS A-Wing.

A few words about the building process :

First, the build is modular :

34.JPG

The chassis is built in odd width, which is very unusual for a studful model. Well, and I would say that this is a method that I try to avoid generally.

Indeed, studful = even width.

BUT, because of the gap in the noze, I was compelled to build in odd width. That was kind of a pain.

35.JPG

37.JPG

With studfull frames, bricks and plate, I got something very strong.

The model uses some SNOT on the sides, and for the lower elements of the body.

46.JPG

55.JPG

There is also a nice trick to attach the engines.

Indeed, I can not reasonnably attach each engine on the dark red motor cycle wheel. This would be way too weak. I have to find something much stronger.

So I cut 1/4 of the cylinder, and I "rotate" the engine thanks to these parts 57585.jpg. This way, the engine can match the chassis, and the part of the engine that is cut out is not visible from the outside.

59.JPG

60.JPG

Regarding the overall shape, I am quite proud of the result that has basically no compromise despite the complex design of the A-Wing (very curved shapes).

I get the convex shapes with curved slopes.

67.JPG

And the trickiest part of the MOC was to design the concave shape. I used those very sharp pieces 61406pb05.jpg?1 and attach them with ball joint. They are not heavy at all, so it is ok.

Ball joint also enable to give a very specific orientation, and so to create the concave shape.

The element gives also quite a nice result on the side of the nose.

16540139073_e2b6587f02_b.jpgUCS A-Wing by Anio, sur Flickr

The windscreen is attached with 1 clip. It is designed so that parts go apart correctly when you remove the windscreen.

23.JPG

24.JPG

The underside, as smooth as possible. The support uses studless parts. Remember, the chassis is in odd width, so studless parts can be very useful in this situation.

17158676522_1ae5cf900d_b.jpgUCS A-Wing by Anio, sur Flickr

The engines at the back. Too bad some part were not available in trans-yellow. :-( Hope Lego will release new parts in a near future.

17159674901_ed3e348706_b.jpgUCS A-Wing by Anio, sur Flickr

At the very end of the engines, the rings are attached with a Technic axle. Well, there is not much I can do about it. It doesn't catch the eye that much, though.

Regarding the overall proportions, I think the model is very close to the original :

16974124729_b6128190c7_b.jpgUCS A-Wing by Anio, sur Flickr

16972525778_9e46cf6416_b.jpgUCS A-Wing by Anio, sur Flickr

Note that I had to paint some parts in white and dark red because they are not yet available in the right colors. They will be switched immediatly when they are produced (thank you Bricklink wanted lists :p ).

The final model is made out of 1593 elements, which is not that much IMO. It is quite big ; 55 cm long, 29 cm wide, 29 cm tall.

And of course, the model is carefully designed with no illegal build.

Here is the FlickR gallery of my UCS A-Wing : https://www.flickr.c...57651566108899/

Brickshelf gallery : http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=555481

And video :

Like all my MOCs, a professional instruction is available for sale. Mathieu did a great job on it. Modular design, HD renders, detailed steps, UCS sticker and part list included. A 200MO file. :p Here are some pages :

01.jpg

02.jpg

07.jpg

More here : http://www.techlug.f...-ST17-anio-2015

As usual, this instruction is sold at the symbolic price of 10€. You can however give more if you want to reward our work on that long project, or encourage our next projects.

To buy it, you can PM me on Eurobricks, but also on Youtube, or FlickR. Still, the most convenient way is certainely to email me at setechnic@gmail.com

I hope you enjoyed reading this presentation, and you like the model.

If you have any question regarding the design process or the final result, feel free to ask. I will try to answer. :)

Anio

Flawless! You made the model so simple. The A-wing is not really my favorite ship. but you really captured all the details angles real nicely, showing how sleek it is. I love your idea for the engines, slightly turning the 1/4 cylinders to hide the seams and add strength to it. The nose is my favorite part, Those spike pieces are tricky to use. I recall reading somewhere that the A-Wings nose was also designed for spearing, in the case the pilot has no chance of survival, to do more damage to enemy ships.

Edited by Smitty500

Great build! I love the A-Wing, and you've captured it perfectly. The angles are perfect, as are all the tiny details. I think that you could have tiled the model more, but it still looks good with the studs. I love your cockpit, since it looks like an official molded part, but huge. Overall, this is a fantastic model!

I've been waiting for a UCS A wing for a while and this is perfect. It captures the shape very well

Love the modular feature of the build! Such a creative method, I love it! Fantastic MOC!

Amazing! I admire the the hard work that went into creating this A-Wing, I imagine working on uneven studs is very difficult to pull off for this scale.

The cockpit and engines are very nice solutions.

This is a lovely build of my favorite rebel craft back then when I've extensively played X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter. I'm not a fan of stacked studded plates to achieve a slope, but with a model this size, it actually works. Well done!

Shape and proportions are really fantastic... I love it!

Can you tell more about the pieces, that had to be painted? I can see 10 pieces: the big slopes on the wings behind the guns and the pointy parts on the front sides.

Edited by H_Solo

I've been waiting to see a new one of these for a long time, excellent job!

Please tell me how you made the half cone windscreen clear, though!

Thank you everyone for your comments. :)

I think that you could have tiled the model more, but it still looks good with the studs.

The thing is to keep a good balance between studded and tiled areas, in all colors.

There are studs that I can not change anything about it : those on the 3x6 wings. More or less like the UCS Helicarrier, wing plates make studs appear. There is nothing we can do about it.

So, I have to put studs on the big dark red areas in the middle of the ship. Still, I can do some little areas without studs to add some variations, with tiles 4x6 with sutds on edges for example.

That said, I have the possibility to includ some none studed areas :

the sides of the model, for the white color :

08.JPG

And on the engine for the dark red color :

03.JPG

Remember, the thing is to have some consistency between studded and tiles areas, and this in all color used (in this case, only 2).

Can you tell more about the pieces, that had to be painted? I can see 10 pieces: the big slopes on the wings behind the guns and the pointy parts on the front sides.

The 2 big dark red wedges curved behind the cockpit, 4 4x4 dark red macaronis, 1 2x1 dark red slope curved and 2 2x2 black slope corner.

With the latter, I am confident it will be available very soon, as it is a very recent part but in a common color.

Please tell me how you made the half cone windscreen clear, though!

Search a little bit more. I am sure you will figure out what is the trick I used. ;)

Well, this is typical.

This looks really well done, and the design look good for being solid. Not only that, but the modular build is really something!

The technique used for the engines is clever, and works really well and I like that bit a lot as it is usable for many other things as well.

This is yet again, another well designed UCS by you.

:thumbup:

crazy...sexy.. cool....

u really outdid yourself this time..! i love it , again, as always =)

odd studs is a real pain..but u fixed it.. very very good technique.

how's the feeling man.. is this your proudest fav moc now? =)

u r really setting the bar =P

WOW, looks amazing... Amazing and 100% accurate. I wonder how different color versions would look like...

Great work again Anio! Knowing what design choises you made and had to make makes me to admire this model even more! I hope you will continue to do this, as it makes a very interesting read.

Thank you. :)

the modular build is really something!

Yes, that is something important. Modular build make the model easier to design. The thing is to deconstruct what can be considered as complex (believe me, the shape of the A-Wing is not an easy one), and to reorganise it with modularity so that it is easier to work with.

Modularity also make the model easier to build for any Lego fan. It is also quite formative for less experienced builder as it helps to really see what is the role of each part/section.

Basically, it make the model more "readable" for everyone (model designer, instruction designer, builder, and user who just look at the final product).

is this your proudest fav moc now? =)

Don't know. Each of them has something special. :p

Superb work Anio, another masterpiece! :wub:

Apologies for the delay, but better late than never....!

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Impressive, most impressive!

Mad props, Anio. Fantastic model - love the modular design!

LEGO! Are you seeing this??

I already have the Venator and the clone tank designed by you. And this is another masterpiece; really great work!