As the title says, which construction style of Technic is better, studded or studless? Look at the poll, and sound off. I couldn't get a poll to work, so could the mods please delete this.

Edited by Saberwing40k

Deciding which is better depends on what you want to do with your Lego and what you have. For someone like me, I only have a reasonably small collection of studless Technic (Maybe 6,000 pieces :tongue: ) which is what I have to work with. I would like to use studded building because it gives nicer bodywork, but for building the mechanical side of things you want to have studless Technic for ease of construction. I have about 50,000 non Technic Lego pieces but they aren't organised and they are all in different colours so they are a bit useless! Studded building is good except for the fact that it is extremely hard to get enough of the right pieces and have all of the pieces you have in the right colour, whereas with studless building I have found it very easy to get the pieces I need in the right colours just from sets. So as I said at the start, it completely depends on what you do with your Lego but for me studless is easier to get and make mechanisms with but studded looks far better for bodywork.

Edited by Kiwi_Builder

They are both my beautiful children and I love them equally.

This is a useless topic, it all depents on taste.

So it is better not to discuss about it.

At first I thought we've had this discussion many times but, when you pause and think of it, the answers will vary/evolve for the simple reason that, at any instant of time (over few years), the opinions will sway one way or the other depending on various facts:

1. Collection of studless sets increases with years moving forward

2. New EB members tend to be younger, and thus may not have been exposed to the studded technic

3. Older members (studded lovers) might move on to other hobbies.

As for me, I've had a feeling of deja-vu for this question few times. Have I been on this forum at this hobby too long?

Edited by DrJB

I think that no matter how much of a studless/studful lover you are, you should always try the other one. For instance I've always build studless sets, but then I tried the old 8448 and that was a very interesting experience as it had so many different and older building techniques

[some content] :grin:

I have sent you a PM.

the eternal unanswered question -

how long is a piece of string? Depends what you need to build - mostly studless does the job in a more compact streamlined manner

How about instead which one is method of building is better we find which one is the better over the other at what it can do. For me Studded resembles like American standard inch while Studdess is more like European metric system and because of this difference makes the Studded build little bit more intricate when it comes to fitting studded parts with in the Studdless pattern.

I like combining both. Studless allows for more compact, complex structures, especially with functions and gears. However using studded beams for chassis rails can produce a far more rigid structure.

Using the best of both makes for some really interesting options.