Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Putrid Creek Mill

Putrid Creek Mill

Some believe that the waters of Grave Stone have long since dried up, but tell that to old Morty Perkins who fishes along Putrid Creek every early morning just before sunrise. Old Morty haunts Putrid Creek Mill, a dilapidating wooden mill that was build during the gold rush.

Not much is known about Putrid Creek and where its waters come from, but some say that it is a mysterious river that only appears at midnight during a full moon, its dark waters flowing from the canyon of the Shadow Mountains. There is a legend that a greedy band of miners found the burial cavern of an ancient Indian people in the Shadow Mountains and dared to desecrate the tomb by stealing some of the sacred objects found within. An ancient Indian curse was unlocked along with a grotto filled with water that flooded the cavern drowning most of the miners within. The water was cursed and is known to some as Putrid Water for no living thing can drink the poisoned water and survive. Legend also tells that the Putrid Water can be used to resurrect the dead, if the ancient Indian spirits are called.

The old mill stands at the end of Putrid Creek before the waters enter the underground caverns and grottos beneath Grave Stone. Old Morty Perkins knows the secrets of Putrid Creek and even knows how to venture upstream through the canyon to the source of the waters, but who knows what he dares catch in the dark waters near Putrid Creek Mill. *skull*

putridcreekmill1.jpg

more pictures to come...

A marvelous MOC, and a great story too. *y*

I really like your waterwheel and your skelly fisherman and that funny keep-out sign.

Did you use those black slopes from the 4954 Model Town House? I think it

I can't offer any tips for improving this MOC Brickster. I'm sorry, it just looks perfect.

And the presentation and pictures are also perfect.

I enjoyed watching this MOC and reading the story.

This is awesome! Very, very, very well done! (I love that keep out sign with scarecrow's pumpkin bomb on it! ;-) )

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

For those of you interested in the Grave Stone story and imagery, here's a shot of Putrid Creek flowing through one of the canyons of the Shadow Mountains:

shadowmountainscanyon.jpg

Another of TheBrickster's fantastic mocs! I love the stories you have with each set, they really add to it. I see you've found a use for the new pumpkin head already. :-D Great design of the mill, very good construction, great job. X-D *y*

I love MOCs with a little backstory!

Well done Mr Brickster.

This is really a brilliant MOC.

The floor made out of tiles looks really good. It gives it a made-out-of-wooden-planks feel!

Little details like the keep out sign, the pickaxe the lantern and that lovely little window at the roof, I can't get enough of them. I should incorporate more details in my own MOCs.

Good job once again Mr B.

Mr Tiber

Awesome MOC, excellent use of parts like for the Keep Out sign and the little story really adds some interesting background to the creation. *y* *y* *y*

Keep on with the good work.

Wonderful creation, Brickster. I've always been fond of water mills, and this one's just dandy. What I like the most is the basic layout of everything. It just flows wonderfully. The other details are very nifty. I can't imagine why that skeleton is fishing or that he'll ever catch anything. :-P

I am really starting to wish this was a real theme! *wub* I love the waterwheel; was that your idea to use those fence pieces for that? It works really well.

Looking at all the Ghost Town mocs you've done on here... I think you're my favorite mocer on this site.

Set design quality, (imaginary, realistic) set cost/part count, presentation... ...I mean, I never liked Wild West stuff... but the ghost element you added to it was appropriate and made it interesting.

Great stuff that should be real sets, more than most other fan-made concepts.

*wub*

Great WW MOC, TheBrickster!

The mill with the little landscape and the detailed house are looking very well. The history sounds very interesting and exciting, too.

Very well done!

By the way: Does the house have any "inside life"? I mean a table with a seat, an oil lamp and a little bed dpwnstairs and a treasure box with the in the history mentioned stolen things would be nice, don't you think?

First, let me express a sincere "thank you" for all of the feedback. Your comments really make me feel that others enjoy these MOCs making the building and the writing of the stories very worthwhile.

I love the waterwheel; was that your idea to use those fence pieces for that? It works really well.

No, actually, it was not. I got the idea from this great mill I found on Brickshelf:

mill00.jpg

I had no idea how to make a very nice rounded wheel using my existing pieces. I did; however, use an old classic red wheel and black 2x4 with hole to connect it to the building. I would like to add actual gears inside that would turn as the wheel does. I've misplaced my box of technic gears though.

Looking at all the Ghost Town mocs you've done on here... I think you're my favorite mocer on this site.

Set design quality, (imaginary, realistic) set cost/part count, presentation... ...I mean, I never liked Wild West stuff... but the ghost element you added to it was appropriate and made it interesting.

Great stuff that should be real sets, more than most other fan-made concepts.

Thank you very much. This is truly a very nice compliment because there are many MOCers on EB that are far better than me and use much more advanced building techniques (in my opinion). I hope to make up for some of my limitations through good story/theme which I always like to add. I never count the # of pieces or provide a price for the MOCs though???

By the way: Does the house have any "inside life"? I mean a table with a seat, an oil lamp and a little bed dpwnstairs and a treasure box with the in the history mentioned stolen things would be nice, don't you think?

Good question. Believe it or not, I haven't added the interior details yet. I have not figured out what to do inside. I like your ideas though.

I like all of your Ghost Town MOC

No, actually, it was not. I got the idea from this great mill I found on Brickshelf:

It doesn't change the fact that it is a great MOC. I look forward to the next Grave Stone "set". (Do you keep these together afterwoods?)

It doesn't change the fact that it is a great MOC. I look forward to the next Grave Stone "set". (Do you keep these together afterwoods?)

Thanks. I have some, but generally no. Lately, I've been building one at a time and destroying.

Nice western MOC. Keep em coming

Thanks Apache. I've got some new ideas that I might pursue in the near future.

Oh, BTW- I like your avatar. Great to see some new WW fans. *y*

Your MOC is very, very *sweet* Brickster. The way you used the railing pieces for the wheel was great. I definitly give you two *y* up. Model On!!

Thanks brickster, we western boys need to stick together. I've started work up again which has taken away from time with Lego's and my home computer has a virus, so sadly no photoshop. But I'll be able to add some cool western mocs someday.

Apache

Thanks brickster, we western boys need to stick together. I've started work up again which has taken away from time with Lego's and my home computer has a virus, so sadly no photoshop. But I'll be able to add some cool western mocs someday.

Apache

Looking forward to seeing additional MOCs from you, and thank you for your comments regarding the Putrid Mill.

hey B, this is definitely my most favorite of your MOCs... i can honestly say, if this were an official set, i would buy it, for sure. no questions.

i think the overall shape is the most noteworthy item. it's balanced perfectly. it's also placed nicely on the baseplate, and has just the right number of peaks and platforms to create the overall shape. i think if it were an official set it could benefit from some "unique" characters to accompany the generic skeleton. perhaps a "card creeper" type character.

i would love to see an interior added to this.

the only thing i may be missing is a lack of accent color... though the blue of the water and green bushes add enough. but i imagine that once the green glowing color is removed from the windows this set might seem a little "dark." the orange pumpkin is a nice touch though, and does help. id like to see orange be the accent color here. unfortunately, orange isn't a popular color for molds like windows, etc.

*here im gonna get picky (remember though, i love this MOC, it's a 5 starrer ;-) )

i see that the window panes and shutters are blue and green, i think this might be a strange choice because the only other blue that appears is the water, and the only other green is the bushes... this makes me want to associate blue with water, and green with bushes, but i can't, because of the window colors. again, i would love to see LEGO release this set, and make some orange window panes, then i think light gray shutters would look nice.

all-in-all a great MOC, this is the gem of the gravestone collection.

- BM