Sign in to follow this  
Dardanel

[SPC] Cat A - The Crimson Farrago

Hello everybody, Dardanel the long time lurker, first time poster here : )

I'd like to present to you the Crimson Farrago:

17143673189_80c3d6d512_c.jpg

, my entry for the Space Pirates Contest!

Here are some additional, individual presentations and they should be considered as such - presentations, and not entries:

16510788394_0bed2110b8_c.jpg

Hugo’s race - the Millennials, as they are called in the Common Realms, figured out eons ago how to transfer biological consciousness into artificially created technological containers (a feat not matched since in the known universe). However, not all wanted to go through the procedure and a horrible civil war broke out. Those who did, being virtually immortal, quickly gained the upper hand. Until the events of the Miracle, that is.

Members of a small church of Science discovered another way of transcending biology, through a still unknown method, in all likelihood involving technologically aided meditation. Most of the remainder of Hugo’s race being transformed into pure energy (which is physically inconceivable!) meant the end of the terrible war.

Millenias passed and Hugo’s mechanical race spread throughout the galaxy, but a terrible revelation came to pass. Due to a mistake made by the Architect, the consciousness container started degrading and all those using them slowly started losing their sanity. Millenias passed again and now there are only a very few Millennials left.

Hugo finally started losing himself only a few decades ago and started searching for those Millennials who transcended their biology the “natural” way, believing that they could help him out of his predicament. In a fit of insanity he decided to join a pirate crew thinking that this would greatly aid him in his quest.

17139487545_c746f18f59_c.jpg

Before he was expunged, Gutt was known as one of the best cooks and opera singers of the Hooman Empire. His promising career was brought to an abrupt end when the public learned that he liked burning anyone who annoyed him, cooking and serving them as exotic meals to his unsuspecting customers.

As a result of him being forced to roam the vast universe Gutt decided to completely redesign his persona to better fit his new circumstances. This is why he is called Gutt. Did you think this was his real name?

After years of wandering he happened to come across the Crimson Farrago. He took particular fancy to Flea since he reminded him of a story he liked ever since he was a little child, the legend of the Man in the Iron Mask. Naturally, he decided to cook him. Flea, thinking that it was all a good joke decided to plead with the captain to let Gutt join, noting that the crew lacked the capacity for humor. Putting his burning desire to burn Flea aside, Gutt joined the crew to discover new flavors and (other) things to burn.

17109404886_9d67efceb1_c.jpg

Orgo is a member of the Pristi race, one of the few spacefaring races who value war over diplomacy. They usually dislike being even near other races, unless, of course, there is a good bloodbath to be had.

Orgo used to belong to the Blood Fiends, a group of thieving mercenaries, until their leader, the now infamous Rullo the Fool (title awarded posthumously), decided that the Crimson Farrago would be easy pickings for the Blood Fiends. Ultimately him knowing basic arithmetics proved to be his undoing, thinking that his crew of over a hundred could easily overpower the Crimson Farrago who only counted three at the time.

During the battle Orgo managed to fend off most of the Captain’s attacks, an accomplishment which no one managed to do in a very long time. Feeling amused, the Captain decided, on a whim, to spare Orgo because of his incredible bravery and skill. After coming to terms with his overwhelming defeat Orgo decided to join the crew in order to repay his debt and have a nice (s)laughter or two.

17012371440_21010d8b76_c.jpg

Flea’s race has always been a big unknown to the rest of the Galaxy. Inhabiting the area on the edge of the Wildlands, they tend to keep to themselves. What little is known about them is that they value knowledge above all, believing that there is no such thing as useless information. That being the case they mounted numerous scientific expeditions throughout the galaxy, even reaching the far reaches of the Big Unknown, an area of which only their records exist.

Flea is a member of a caste whose only task is to record everything that comes to pass. They are usually sent aboard various ships with a simple directive: watch, record, do not interfere. Ship captains usually allowed them to join because they act as makeshift advisers on various things. Flea hated this.

After joining the Crimson Farrago Flea decided that such a simple, neutral life was not for him. He used his vast knowledge to build what he described as the perfect warfare suit and enlisted into the ranks of the crew. He uses the Marauder Mark 2 not for its sophistication or precision, but rather for its destructive power (and that oomph!).

17198249112_907f97edc1_c.jpg

On the outside Frederic looks just like any other member of the Hooman Empire, but he is actually a part of an alien race of unknown origin that simply appeared on the outskirts of the galaxy some 30 years ago, suffering from collective amnesia.

Having no memories meant that Frederic, and the entirety of his people, had to concentrate on survival rather than discovering their origins. They quickly started to make contact with neighbouring systems, but were met with more hostility than offerings of help. Food soon became scarce and, in a desperate attempt to save as many as they could, they sold most of their young into slavery, Frederic included.

As per chance Hugo was the one to buy him. He saw something in Frederic, something he couldn’t quite put his mechanical claw on. He decided to buy him and teach him skill necessary to perform routine maintenance on his mechanical body. Noticing that Frederic had talent for engineering beyond even himself Hugo decided to set Frederic free.

Years later they met again and Frederic begged Hugo to let him join “his” pirate crew, wanting to always be near, should Hugo’s body and mind ever start to fail him. Captain agreed on one condition, that he became the ship’s engineer.

17303954756_d9134867b9_c.jpg

Generally speaking, the Nautiloidea, a race of which Ness is a member of, are considered to be pretty spineless. They tend to live out their lives in the deep oceans of their homeworld, only venturing to other worlds if their supplies of food and other necessities run low.

The same cannot be said for Ness. Ever since a young age she has been wandering the vastness of the universe in search of masters who would teach her new combat skills. You can often hear people say that she visited 20 000 world, learned to use 100 000 different weapons and mastered 50 000 fighting techniques. All of these are, of course, understatements.

Fulfilling her lifelong yearning, she decided to form a pirate crew wanting to become (in)famous across the galaxy. She believes that the stark difference between the freedom, that she and all other pirates enjoy, and the cowardice of her own species would stir up some emotions in her people and they would once again venture out into the vast, unknown, universe. This, she believes, is the true destiny of her species.

Disclaimer:

I am looking for all your criticisms and suggestions, since I am still very new at all of this and it would be greatly appreciated! I would also like to get some tips/advice on photo shooting and composition since this is literally my first time attempting something like this and I only own a mobile camera :D

Edited by Dardanel

Nice work! The Captainess looks like a render as blasters haven't been produced in that color and Medusa's faceprint iss exclusive to her green face. However, don't let that disqualify the rest of your outstanding entry!

Thanks for the nice comments! : )

Nice work! The Captainess looks like a render as blasters haven't been produced in that color and Medusa's faceprint iss exclusive to her green face. However, don't let that disqualify the rest of your outstanding entry!

Sorry for not making it clearer, but it's only a concept, for which I do not have the parts in right colors at the moment, when I get the parts I will make it with real bricks :D That render is not my entry : )

Those are some badass looking chain guns on Orgo! I like the wings on the sniper too35.gif

Edited by hongxungt

Sorry for not making it clearer, but it's only a concept, for which I do not have the parts in right colors at the moment, when I get the parts I will make it with real bricks :D That render is not my entry : )

I wish it could be- it's quite cool! Can't wait to see the final figure!

Thank you all for your nice comments! :D

I've finished the Pirate Sniper and the Engineer:

17198249112_907f97edc1_c.jpg

17012371440_21010d8b76_c.jpg

I've also finished up a couple of the back stories, which you can read in the first post, if you're interested : )

As always all your comments and criticisms are more than welcome!

The Pirate Sniper FLEA: looks pretty fine BUT where the hack is his bass guitar (tho I can see a kind of amplifier and repro there)?! (RHCP anyone? :wink: ) :laugh::grin::thumbup:

^ Hot Chill's fan?

If you're asking me: well, not quite - I guess they are good tho it's not my "cup of tea" :wink:

Well Done, wonderful edit you've done here!

Cheers :D

The Pirate Sniper FLEA: looks pretty fine BUT where the hack is his bass guitar (tho I can see a kind of amplifier and repro there)?! (RHCP anyone? :wink: ) :laugh::grin::thumbup:

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. :P

I will try to get a guitar and fit it in tho :D

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. :P

I will try to get a guitar and fit it in tho :D

:wink: Soooo...I will deffinitely wait for that one...space pirat with bass guitar, I guess you'll be the first using this kind of "battle technique" :grin::thumbup:

Very cool! Is flea wearing a backwards knight helmet?

Indeed he is : ) But it's super high tech since it's space pirates! :D

I was thinking, "hey! That's not a real Lego part! Oh, wait, it the old knight helmet on backwards!" clever. Ticker looks fantastic.

Awesome minifigs, I especially like Frederic! I also like the helmet on Flea, turning it around gives it a pretty cool profile. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Unfortunately the parts for the Captain(ess) still haven't arrived, so still no update via pictures. Today I'll try to come up with a new concept and hopefully have it done by tomorrow!

So this isn't just a boring update post, here are two more background stories:

Orgo is a member of the Pristi race, one of the few spacefaring races who value war over diplomacy. They usually dislike being even near other races, unless, of course, there is a good bloodbath to be had.

Orgo used to belong to the Blood Fiends, a group of thieving mercenaries, until their leader, the now infamous Rullo the Fool (title awarded posthumously), decided that the Crimson Farrago would be easy pickings for the Blood Fiends. Ultimately him knowing basic arithmetics proved to be his undoing, thinking that his crew of over a hundred could easily overpower the Crimson Farrago who only counted three at the time.

During the battle Orgo managed to fend off most of the Captain’s attacks, an accomplishment which no one managed to do in a very long time. Feeling amused, the Captain decided, on a whim, to spare Orgo because of his incredible bravery and skill. After coming to terms with his overwhelming defeat Orgo decided to join the crew in order to repay his debt and have a nice (s)laughter or two.

Before he was expunged, Gutt was known as one of the best cooks and opera singers of the Hooman Empire. His promising career was brought to an abrupt end when the public learned that he liked burning anyone who annoyed him, cooking and serving them as exotic meals to his unsuspecting customers.

As a result of him being forced to roam the vast universe Gutt decided to completely redesign his persona to better fit his new circumstances. This is why he is called Gutt. Did you think this was his real name?

After years of wandering he happened to come across the Crimson Farrago. He took particular fancy to Flea since he reminded him of a story he liked ever since he was a little child, the legend of the Man in the Iron Mask. Naturally, he decided to cook him. Flea, thinking that it was all a good joke decided to plead with the captain to let Gutt join, noting that the crew lacked the capacity for humor. Putting his burning desire to burn Flea aside, Gutt joined the crew to discover new flavors and (other) things to burn.

Edited by Dardanel

Thank you, again, for all the nice comments! :D

Updated the first post, all backstories there, all characters, and a group photo, so it's ready for the contest finally! And just in the nick of time! :D