EdWebhead

The Wizard of Oz Rumors and Discussion

Of course it would be a great set: Emerald City. But somehow it feels already forced that the minifigs now even exist and will appear in the cmf series. 

I think they will be the most sought for figs this cmf series, and i think lego will reuse them at some point, but maybe more in ways like polybags, cardboard boxes (with Oz landscapes printed on it) or something promotional like that. 

Furthermore i still need those flying monkeys. Let’s hope they return again in a smaller set.

9 hours ago, MAB said:

There is also a lack of interest in D2C Star Wars sets, they simply do not sell in such numbers as small sets.

I don’t think it’s lack of interest so much as lack of funds. Most of us have a harder time affording $200 sets than $20 ones.

On 12/20/2018 at 5:19 AM, Vindicare said:

Someone over in the ‘Second Part’ thread suggested that maybe the gang was meant to be Dimensions packs. Since it was cancelled, maybe they shoved them into this CMF series? I don’t k ow how far ahead they plan CMF series, so the speculation may be far off...

Seems plausible enough. 

21 hours ago, Legocollinfreak said:

I love the figures but I just realized the scarecrow hat rope color is incorrect it's meant to be green and the printing on the certificate is also wrong. 

It's just the Lego version. The Disney version is wrong as heck from the books. I don't mind this interpretation at all. I'm 100% getting them.

The fact is they are basing it off of the movie and it is obvious they are. I'm still getting the figures because its the only chance my favorite movie will get lego content. It's just annoying lego messed up on something so obvious in the film, I also don't know why Warner Bros didn't correct them. The Harry Potter figures are almost perfect so I know it is possible. 

1 hour ago, Legocollinfreak said:

The fact is they are basing it off of the movie and it is obvious they are. I'm still getting the figures because its the only chance my favorite movie will get lego content. It's just annoying lego messed up on something so obvious in the film, I also don't know why Warner Bros didn't correct them. The Harry Potter figures are almost perfect so I know it is possible. 

It might be something as simple as getting the costume and the certificate to translate into Lego form. I doubt for one minute that they didn’t have visual reference as the other details are outstanding, and a big part of design is aesthetics. There’s nothing definite to say that they based off the movie anyway; in TLBM the Wicked Witch was just one of the bad guys, not cited as coming from a specific version of a franchise. The monkeys even less so. I would put money on it that the same will apply to the other characters in TLM2. I appreciate that they first appeared in Dimensions as characters from the film, but the game is now retired so there is nothing to say they have to be the same. I also appreciate that most people’s knowledge of TWoO will be from the film rather than the book. In short, be happy that they got made at all. Prior to Dimensions there was no indication that they would ever appear. 

7 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

It might be something as simple as getting the costume and the certificate to translate into Lego form. I doubt for one minute that they didn’t have visual reference as the other details are outstanding, and a big part of design is aesthetics. There’s nothing definite to say that they based off the movie anyway; in TLBM the Wicked Witch was just one of the bad guys, not cited as coming from a specific version of a franchise. The monkeys even less so. I would put money on it that the same will apply to the other characters in TLM2. I appreciate that they first appeared in Dimensions as characters from the film, but the game is now retired so there is nothing to say they have to be the same. I also appreciate that most people’s knowledge of TWoO will be from the film rather than the book. In short, be happy that they got made at all. Prior to Dimensions there was no indication that they would ever appear. 

They are based on the movie though, the ruby slippers are copyrighted by MGM, Lego couldn't use them here without licensing them. Even though the books and characters are in the public domain, studios have the right to copyright unique elements that they create for these characters. It's pretty clear these are licensed versions of the characters, especially since Lego even put the film logo on the CMF box.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:03 PM, Legocollinfreak said:

I love the figures but I just realized the scarecrow hat rope color is incorrect it's meant to be green and the printing on the certificate is also wrong. 

I can't help but wonder if Lego just decided to go with a more generic certificate so that they could reuse it elsewhere...

As for the rope color, I wonder if this is just a perception issue. I honestly didn't remember it being green and it took looking at closeups for me to realize that it was indeed green. It could also be an artistic choice, as I notice the rope color on the hat matches the torso rope color. Perhaps they felt there was just too much green in the design.

5 hours ago, strangely said:

They are based on the movie though, the ruby slippers are copyrighted by MGM, Lego couldn't use them here without licensing them. Even though the books and characters are in the public domain, studios have the right to copyright unique elements that they create for these characters. It's pretty clear these are licensed versions of the characters, especially since Lego even put the film logo on the CMF box.

I can't help but wonder if Lego just decided to go with a more generic certificate so that they could reuse it elsewhere...

You’ll find that WB own the rights to the ruby slippers now, and the logo used is technically a new design as the original is just text. Granted they would have to gain permission to use and alter it from WB, but in altering it they have essentially shown that their interpretation of the characters is based on but not identical to the film versions. Lego have a healthy working relationship with Warner, and it’s through this they can enjoy creative flexibility. Besides all of this, there are so few minifigures that are 100% screen accurate. Even Batman doesn’t have glowing eyes, and he was a collaborative effort. They would have chosen the colour they did because it worked, not through laziness or ignorance of source.

Honestly, I feel like the designers on Lego Dimensions and the designers on the CMF series just want to put in as many unlikely figures as they can. Like, I'd never expect to see a Jor-El or The Wonder Twins in any other DC set but they got put into the CMF. Same concept with half of the dimensions characters.