EdWebhead

The Wizard of Oz Rumors and Discussion

Toto dog mold? Do you mean Trendsetter's dog? Also who would wear the queen dress?

No. The terrier from series 16 - dog show winner. A shoo-in for Toto with a recolour.

I don't know

I suggest this forum be locked or something unless some evidence shows up suggesting Oz sets.

I suggest this forum be locked or something unless some evidence shows up suggesting Oz sets.

Oops, didn't mean to double post

Since this is the rumors thread, wouldn't it make more sense to keep it open for now, and close it only once evidence of (more) Oz sets shows up?

:tongue:

The novel came out in 1900 and 1939 for the movie, since we've got the wicked witch and now Toto, I'm hoping for a anniversary theme in 2019 or 2020. Maybe a short theme like Scooby Doo with 5 sets...it would be great

Small bump for our slowly expanding roster - in addition to the Wicked Witch and Toto Dog we now have the Flying Monkeys to look forward to in the new Lego Batman Movie sets!

32155833025_05c236750d_o.png
The number of useful new molds has also been building up with the addition of Alice in Wonderland's skirt for Dorothy and the Penguin's new top hat for the Wizard.

sh314.jpg?0dis007.jpg?2

On 14/09/2016 at 10:20 AM, notpennysboat said:

The novel came out in 1900 and 1939 for the movie, since we've got the wicked witch and now Toto, I'm hoping for a anniversary theme in 2019 or 2020. Maybe a short theme like Scooby Doo with 5 sets...it would be great

I'm also hoping they do something for the anniversary. If not a series of sets then at least one D2C based on the Emerald City and a CMF line to tie in with it.

Rumored spoilers for TLM2

Spoiler

It seems the Wizard of Oz characters will appear in the film. It seems they still have the license 

Wicked Witch was the only licensed character released in TLBM sets. So we might get the rest of the gang here

20 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Reveal hidden contents

It seems the Wizard of Oz characters will appear in the film. It seems they still have the license 

Wicked Witch was the only licensed character released in TLBM sets. So we might get the rest of the gang here

Oh, hell yes.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

If true, I wonder how exactly they're going to fit into a cosmic voyage sort of tale. Perhaps the Land of (spoiler) is portrayed as a planet? Are these characters merely to act as cameo Master Builders like other IP characters were treated in the first movie? :shrug_confused:

Well, now we know. :cry_happy:

It’s bizarre that we’re getting stuff from this particular licensed theme, but only as part of not one, not two, but at least three other themes (!), without really getting anything from it just as its own dedicated The Wizard of Oz line (yet, anyway).

So we will have the Wicked Witch, the Flying Monkeys, and now the four main characters. We are only missing the Wizard and Glinda. Both could be in lego movie sets but I doubt it. I am really hoping a D2C set for the 80th anniversary this coming fall. Just the Emerald City would be cool. 

5 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

It’s bizarre that we’re getting stuff from this particular licensed theme, but only as part of not one, not two, but at least three other themes (!), without really getting anything from it just as its own dedicated The Wizard of Oz line (yet, anyway).

Someone over in the ‘Second Part’ thread suggested that maybe the gang was meant to be Dimensions packs. Since it was cancelled, maybe they shoved them into this CMF series? I don’t k ow how far ahead they plan CMF series, so the speculation may be far off...

Edited by Vindicare

17 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

For me, they're admittedly (and unfortunately) the best part of TLM2 CMS, as they're designed so adorably! :thumbup: :blush:

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, Legocollinfreak said:

So we will have the Wicked Witch, the Flying Monkeys, and now the four main characters. We are only missing the Wizard and Glinda. Both could be in lego movie sets but I doubt it. I am really hoping a D2C set for the 80th anniversary this coming fall. Just the Emerald City would be cool. 

Emerald City would be awesome! A giant brick-built Wizard head would be cool :)

On 12/19/2018 at 10:32 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

I imagine that points to them thinking there isn't the demand for a full line (or even set), but enough interest to do this.

On 12/20/2018 at 4:19 AM, Vindicare said:

Someone over in the ‘Second Part’ thread suggested that maybe the gang was meant to be Dimensions packs. Since it was cancelled, maybe they shoved them into this CMF series? I don’t k ow how far ahead they plan CMF series, so the speculation may be far off...

Of course, they also need to fit them into the movie, but then some of the TLM characters that were in CMF were essentially cameos anyway, so it is probably quite easy to shoehorn in a few extra characters in production. It will be interesting to see how much screen time they get.

I think there's enough interest for a stand alone set, but the issue with D2C sets is that they rarely introduce specialized new parts. So far all the characters except the Wicked Witch have had brand new pieces made exclusively for them. That could be part of the reason why we're seeing these characters being pushed out through other themes first.

42 minutes ago, wesker said:

I think there's enough interest for a stand alone set, but the issue with D2C sets is that they rarely introduce specialized new parts.

And isn't the reason for that because there is not enough interest in them (that is, sales of the sets) to justify making specialized new parts for that set.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

And isn't the reason for that because there is not enough interest in them (that is, sales of the sets) to justify making specialized new parts for that set.

Well, there certainly aren’t enough sales of the sets yet, since no such sets have been offered. Whether there’s sufficient interest to warrant them remains yet to be determined.

FWIW, there’s at least enough interest in LEGO Oz to have propelled a CUUSOO project to review, back when LEGO Ideas was still LEGO CUUSOO.

They already released the main characters on Dimensions/Batman Movie/LEGO Movie 2. I think that means they are not planning to release a Wizard of Oz set-

Unless they include the characters from Oz the Great and Powerful or Return to Oz, I just dont see it happening

Edited by Robert8

11 hours ago, jjackbat said:

Emerald City would be awesome!

Personally, I'd love to see an Art Deco-heavy take on Emerald City based upon the one portrayed in Disney's Oz: The Great and Powerful, though I know that's quite unlikely since everything we've seen from Lego so far is rather based upon the original cinematic classic.

ECityINTCourtyard_View1_DC_v02.jpg?format=1500w

I could see them possibly doing the lego cuusoo set. Yes, Dorothy would be a repeated figure but the Scarecrow, Tinman, and Lion could have new printing which makes them look like they are worn before their emerald city makeovers. But I think the emerald city makes the most sense. You can have Dorothy with her hair all done. Repeat Scarecrow, Tin Man, but the Lion could be wearing a crown and cape for the King of The Forest song. The Wicked Witch could have a new dress piece. Glinda could use the queen piece and have her in her bubble. The wizard and his hot air balloon. Basically, if they D2C they need to make the characters look slightly different. They could even do the Witches Castle with Dorothy with new hair, then the three guys have them in the Winkie guard outfits. The Wicked Witch could have a new face and dress piece. 

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

They already released the main characters on Dimensions/Batman Movie/LEGO Movie 2. I think that means they are not planning to release a Wizard of Oz set-

Unless they include the characters from Oz the Great and Powerful or Return to Oz, I just dont see it happening

By that logic, they wouldn’t have released the Disney Castle, the Simpsons’ House, or the Kwik-E-Mart, since most of the characters who got minifigures in each of those sets were released elsewhere. Heck, for that matter, the same could be said of the Death Star(s).

That obviously doesn’t remotely mean some sort of Wizard of Oz D2C is anything close to being particularly likely, much less a sure thing, but I certainly think it’s possible.

Just now, Blondie-Wan said:

By that logic, they wouldn’t have released the Disney Castle, the Simpsons’ House, or the Kwik-E-Mart, since most of the characters who got minifigures in each of those sets were released elsewhere. Heck, for that matter, the same could be said of the Death Star(s).

That obviously doesn’t remotely mean some sort of Wizard of Oz D2C is anything close to being particularly likely, much less a sure thing, but I certainly think it’s possible.

The thing is, they needed the new head pieces for those sets, that's why each D2C was released along with a CMF line

Those sets had alternate versions of the characters (Simpsons/Disney), but what alternate version could have Dorothy and the gang? Or the monkeys? There aren't. It would have to be a straight-up re-release of the minifigures. And that would decrease the appeal of the set(s)

15 hours ago, MAB said:

I wouldn't say it's a lack of interest as it's something even the popular flagship themes like Star Wars have to deal with. But budget and sales are definitely a factor in why we rarely see specialized new parts, especially when you consider how expensive D2C sets usually are and the limited options for purchasing them due to their exclusivity. Most D2C sets have to outsource new pieces through the budgets of regular retail sets and even other themes, such as 60's Catwoman and Ewok Village Leia's hairpieces being introduced first through the CMF line even though they were specifically designed with those licensed characters in mind.

Just now, Robert8 said:

The thing is, they needed the new head pieces for those sets, that's why each D2C was released along with a CMF line

Those sets had alternate versions of the characters (Simpsons/Disney), but what alternate version could have Dorothy and the gang? Or the monkeys? There aren't. It would have to be a straight-up re-release of the minifigures. And that would decrease the appeal of the set(s)

There's still Glinda and the Wizard. Plus when it comes to D2C releases, shouldn't the set itself be enough of a selling point? How much did the minifigures make or break the Disney Castle?

I listed alternate versions of the characters.

Dorothy- Kansas, Munchkinland before ruby slippers, the one in the CMS, one with her hair done in the Emerald City (would require a new piece)

Scarecrow- more torn up one with hay hanging out, one in CMS, winkie guard

Tin Man- rusted, one in CMS, winkie guard

Lion- bow in hair (would require a new piece), CMS, winkie guard, king of the forest (would require new piece)

Glinda - only one version

Wicked Witch - broom riding version which was released in sets, dress piece version, melting witch

Wizard- With hat or with just hair.

Emerald City would be great but if they wanted to use new versions of the characters they would need to at least change up the Lion and Dorothy.

4 hours ago, wesker said:

I wouldn't say it's a lack of interest as it's something even the popular flagship themes like Star Wars have to deal with. But budget and sales are definitely a factor in why we rarely see specialized new parts, especially when you consider how expensive D2C sets usually are and the limited options for purchasing them due to their exclusivity. Most D2C sets have to outsource new pieces through the budgets of regular retail sets and even other themes, such as 60's Catwoman and Ewok Village Leia's hairpieces being introduced first through the CMF line even though they were specifically designed with those licensed characters in mind.

There is also a lack of interest in D2C Star Wars sets, they simply do not sell in such numbers as small sets.