Sign in to follow this  
Opproperaar

The Lego map for Pirates

Ok, I need you to calculate a bit, or at least have some imagination in order to provide me with an answer here :)

Suppose you have the small Lego 2x2 map for pirates and depict it on an area of 20 by 30 cm (for those who do not use the better, more superior metric system = 9.1 in by 11.8 in respectively)

So let's suppose I choose 1cm = 5 km so our map is 100 by 150 km big as opposed to 1cm = 10 km which is a map of 200 by 300 km. (1cm = 3.1 ml => 62.1 ml by 93.2 ml OR 1 cm = 6.2 ml => 124.2 ml by 186.4 ml)

Still with me? :S

Ok let's ask the five million question:

Which one would be better according to you when depicting that small map? Yes, what distances do you think are better with regard to sailing ships? (about half of the map is water) I'm stuck here, I think the first is too small and the second too big, though I'd definitely like a second opinion on the matter. :-/

Edited by Hairy Ruben

Oh crap I just realized a dumb mistake. It says 23 cm instead of 20 cm ;-)

ah well ...... now I have to rethink all my comments now you've corrected that mistake :S

ah well ...... now I have to rethink all my comments now you've corrected that mistake :S

Well sure, now that he's figured out that little problem, the answer should be perfectly clear... Notice the small ship on the map? Measure it, assume it's a mid-sized ship, say Caribbean Clipper, and scale up accordingly.

All too easy... ;-)

Oh, and if 20cm = 9.1in and 30cm = 11.8in, something is rotten in LEGOLAND. Without even knowing the conversion, I can immediately tell that based on the first figure 10cm = 4.55in, which would make 30cm = 13.15in, or, if 30cm = 11.8in, then I'll get a headache dividing the .8 by 2/3.

Good luck!

Crazy Map Conversion On! *y*

Well sorry if the conversion into the American system turned out bodged, I really am not familiar with that system and I have to admit I did not pay too much attention while calculating, not to say I just looked it up on the internet and copy pasted something without even thinking about what I was doing. ;-)

But that little ship on the map is obviously too big. It's intended as decoration, old maps and sea charts always have ships and sea monsters on them for decoration, but if you try to match them to the scale used, you'll notice they're as big as a small country. Obviously decoration :-D :-D

I'll make this question just European oriented. Metric oriented. Why can't Americans be simple and calculate with simple metres instead of feet? I never got that. A man's foot length differs from guy to guy but a meter is always constant. How can you use feet? Or maybe it were inches, or perhaps yards? And then somebody's gonna come along and ask whether we're talking modern miles or ancient miles here. :-| And if so (in case that we're talking old miles) we'd be talking land miles or sea miles. Or British or French miles. :-|| Let's just face it, the metric system is the best and will always be the easiest. :-D :-D :-D

Edited by Hairy Ruben

Why can't Americans be simple and calculate with simple metres instead of feet?
As an American, I can say the reason we don't use is is that the metric system is the tool of the devil ;-)

>I'll make this question just European oriented. Metric oriented. Why can't Americans be simple and calculate with simple metres instead of feet? I never got that. A man's foot length differs from guy to guy but a meter is always constant. How can you use feet?<

If you're going to be historically accurate, you'd probably have to use something like the "American" measurements and then convert to metric. The metric system was, if memory serves, developed in France, and did not become popular until the early nineteeth century. The Pirates theme takes place in the eighteenth century, in spite of the somewhat anachronistic garb for the Armada and Imperial soldiers. ;)

The reason we use "feet" and so on is because they were at one time the European, or at least the British standard, don't forget. And when we say something is a foot long, we mean exactly twelve inches, not whatever the length of our own foot happens to be. For scientific purposes that demand even more accurate measurement, we use the metric system just like everybody else.

TC

>I'll make this question just European oriented. Metric oriented. Why can't Americans be simple and calculate with simple metres instead of feet? I never got that. A man's foot length differs from guy to guy but a meter is always constant. How can you use feet?<

If you're going to be historically accurate, you'd probably have to use something like the "American" measurements and then convert to metric. The metric system was, if memory serves, developed in France, and did not become popular until the early nineteeth century. The Pirates theme takes place in the eighteenth century, in spite of the somewhat anachronistic garb for the Armada and Imperial soldiers. ;)

The reason we use "feet" and so on is because they were at one time the European, or at least the British standard, don't forget. And when we say something is a foot long, we mean exactly twelve inches, not whatever the length of our own foot happens to be. For scientific purposes that demand even more accurate measurement, we use the metric system just like everybody else.

TC

Yes I know, the scientific international system is the metric system, I learned that in physics class. But your system is so confusing. :-/ Anyways, I don't really need this topic anymore, since Tiber has helped me with my question by providing me with the invaluable answer I so desperately sought. The one I actually wanted to hear. I'll use 1 cm = 10 km ;-)

Yes I know, the scientific international system is the metric system, I learned that in physics class. But your system is so confusing. :-/ Anyways, I don't really need this topic anymore, since Tiber has helped me with my question by providing me with the invaluable answer I so desperately sought. The one I actually wanted to hear. I'll use 1 cm = 10 km ;-)

Aye, but do mind only ZCerberus can call me Tiber...

Mr Tiber

Why is it that the map is 20x30 cm's, when the brick is a 2x2 plate? Shouldn't it be a 20x20cm map?

Also why are you using 2 different usernames.

Thirdly, why is a 13 year old always demanding to be called Mr? Wouldn't Lil' or Lad or Sonny be a more appropriate title?

I use feet for measurement and pounds for weight. Canada uses a combination of the Imperial and Metric system it seems. I like the Imperial system more for many things, and this is from a man living in the Metric-loving Great White North!

As an American, I can say the reason we don't use is is that the metric system is the tool of the devil ;-)

Yes, that is what all islanders believe. :-D

Thirdly, why is a 13 year old always demanding to be called Mr? Wouldn't Lil' or Lad or Sonny be a more appropriate title?

You always refer to your crewmates as Mr, Mr Landlubber...

No matter how old...

Secondly, it's 2 letters of my Username, you wouldn't like to be called ndlubber either do you?

Mr Tiber

Edited by Mr Tiber

Aye, but do mind only ZCerberus can call me Tiber...

Mr Tiber

Aha, I knew it all along, ahahahahhahaha, anyways, yeah sure, sorry ;-)

Also why are you using 2 different usernames.

Well, it's my bro's account, I didn't realise he was still signed in and accidently posted under his name, if you must know.

For the Standard English and Metric discussion:

I think We Americans still use Standard English simply because we're used to it; that's all.

Yes, i do think Metric is better

For the Scale of the Treasure Map:

Sorry mate, nothing to add X-D

Well, it's my bro's account, I didn't realise he was still signed in and accidently posted under his name, if you must know.

Just a kind reminder and request Hairy:

Please be more mindful in the future as to which account is logged in while you're at EB. *y*

It can be very confusing if this happens in a thread where both of you are posting there. :S

Thanx,

P

Didn't Dreamweb attempt to devise enlargement of that LEGO map piece around this time last year.

It seems like a reasonable project but I'm not at all convinced that the necessary data has been collected thus far. I'm not certain that it even exists. Bottom line is, without reference points there is no way to determine scale at all.

I always took the map to represent a few small islands and the western half of one larger one, making the ship very close to actual size. Potentially, it could be several large islands and a continent with the ship as decoration. There is just no way to know.

Mister Phes: I'm sure you would know better than I. Have there ever been any Pirate themed maps printed that included locations of actual sets? For example, a map showing Eldorado Fortress and it's relative position to Forbidden Island? From that, or something like it, it might be possible to estimate the space that such sets would take and adjust the relative size of the surrounding land to match.

Almost anything would do. Instructions page, package, comic book, those little pirate books, just something referring to real sets on a map.

Mister Phes: I'm sure you would know better than I. Have there ever been any Pirate themed maps printed that included locations of actual sets? For example, a map showing Eldorado Fortress and it's relative position to Forbidden Island? From that, or something like it, it might be possible to estimate the space that such sets would take and adjust the relative size of the surrounding land to match.

Almost anything would do. Instructions page, package, comic book, those little pirate books, just something referring to real sets on a map.

There once was a pirate boardgame for sale on eBay.co.uk dating from about 1989. That boardgame showed the positions of each base on the map, if memory serves me correctly. Also, there are these Lego pirate Ladybird books that might have some information or maps. I do now own these so I can not tell.

Also, in my Dutch version of the 6255 pirate comic "The Golden Medallion". there is an outline of the Eldorado Fortress and Forbidden Island. Forbidden Island is positioned south from the Eldorado Fortress, which is situated on a different island. A small sea separates the 2 bases from eachother.

There once was a pirate boardgame for sale on eBay.co.uk dating from about 1989. That boardgame showed the positions of each base on the map, if memory serves me correctly. Also, there are these Lego pirate Ladybird books that might have some information or maps. I do now own these so I can not tell.

Allow me: click here.

These books were printed in the UK, so they have different set names. "Fort Sabre" is Eldorado Fortress, while "Pirate's Nest" is the Forbidden Island. "Port Royal" and "Fenzance" have both been used for the Imperial Trading Post, either the "Island of Skulls" or the "Skeleton Island" could hold Skull Island and/or Volcano Island, and the "Island of Ruins" could, of course, be home to the Islanders.

Let the geographic speculation begin!

TC

hi folks. first i want to ask. is it this map we are talking of? 3068px9.jpg

And if we then make this resize to 20x20cm and then try to get a scale of it. is that what you meant?

If it is, i think this must be a rather small map(show a little area) reason for that is this

1: a safe anchor place is marked, even on a map scale of 1:50000 (1cm=500m) the area for safe anchor will be about 750mx750m and on maps that would be useless as they need a more precise place(in most areas of the world.)

2: X mar the spot. again in scale 1:50000 that mark would be about 500mx500m and who is willing to dig that big area to find a chest with gold.

3: the map islands and land. if the scale is to big the islands would be to big also.

4: compare scale against real world.

the map is 20x20 cm and with a scale of 1cm=5km (1:500000) the map will cover an area of

20x5km= 100km each way or an area of 10000km2 the island to the left is about 6,5x3,5(on a 20x20cm map) and in 1cm=5km scale that will make a island of 32,5kmx17.5km=569km2 and thas quite a big island. bigger than Grenada.

So my idea would be to look at the islands and just make a scale out of that. if we say that we want the island in west to be about 20km long it will make the scale about 1:310000 and if we then say 1:300000 to be simple the whole map will be about 60kmx60km =3600km2

This is just my thougts about this. hope its not too confused to you :)

Allow me: click here.

These books were printed in the UK, so they have different set names. "Fort Sabre" is Eldorado Fortress, while "Pirate's Nest" is the Forbidden Island. "Port Royal" and "Fenzance" have both been used for the Imperial Trading Post, either the "Island of Skulls" or the "Skeleton Island" could hold Skull Island and/or Volcano Island, and the "Island of Ruins" could, of course, be home to the Islanders.

Let the geographic speculation begin!

TC

Very interesting information, unfortunately I'm not sure it helps (but wow, I'd like to have seen Ironram). It does give some very general ideas though about relative placement of bases. Thanks for posting that! *y*

If it is, i think this must be a rather small map(show a little area)

Some good logic here. I agree that this is potentially a very small area being shown. If one assumed that the tiny middle island was in fact, this one turned at a different angle, we'd have a general idea of things.

3867p02.1104805976.jpg

3811pb02.jpg

Nice Imperialshadows :) that can make a sort of scale for us to make lego mocs for . we also have this island. but this doesnt have the right shape.