Hello, I am woking on plans for a Lego layout of the majority of the Magic Kingdom, in Walt Disney World Florida. I am planning on using the Philips Hue System for lighting so that I can have daytime/nighttime/morning/evening. I also am going to include LifeLites for the lighting of the street and in buildings. A few of the rides will be able to run as well, including the Walt Disney World Railroad which runs around the park. Lastly I am also going to include sounds into different areas of the park to add to the realism. Is there a program where I can make all these systems automated so that by the push of a button or two the entire layout comes to life?

My mom is addicted to disney. She would love your layout.

I have no advice other than a cheap mp3 players with a speakers placed all around.

You could even visit the park and record the sounds

It's a world of laughter, a world of cheers.

Bla bla bla bla bla

Oh no. It's stuck in my head

Edited by lanesteele240

Hi. Can you give more details about your setup?

You're using Philips Hue System lamps, you want to control the lamps from a computer via a wifi connection to the Hue bridge or directly from a Zigbee connection? I'm assuming you want to use a computer, maybe a laptop, to control everything.

You're using Lifelites, how do you power those? eLite MCU or just a AC/DC adaptor to power them all? How do you control it? A relay with wifi connection?

You're using LEGO Trains. 9V or Power Functions? How do you control them all?

There are several Home Automation programs. OpenHAB is open source and can run on Windows/Mac/Linux, also on Raspberry Pi and has support for Philips Hue Bridge.

My signature includes some tutorial videos on automating Lego trains using an Arduino. I don't have any experience with sound automation, but I'm sure it's been done elsewhere.

In upcoming weeks I'll be explaining how to run multiple trains, how to use an infrared remote and a few more complex component combinations. So let me know if you have a specific use case in mind and I'll help however I can.

Hi. Can you give more details about your setup?

You're using Philips Hue System lamps, you want to control the lamps from a computer via a wifi connection to the Hue bridge or directly from a Zigbee connection? I'm assuming you want to use a computer, maybe a laptop, to control everything.

You're using Lifelites, how do you power those? eLite MCU or just a AC/DC adaptor to power them all? How do you control it? A relay with wifi connection?

You're using LEGO Trains. 9V or Power Functions? How do you control them all?

There are several Home Automation programs. OpenHAB is open source and can run on Windows/Mac/Linux, also on Raspberry Pi and has support for Philips Hue Bridge.

I'd like to use my laptop, a Macbook Pro, I will be using the 9V system for the trains, most likely ran with the standard transformer, but i am open to ideas. As for the Lifelites, I really have no preference wether they are AC/DC or MCU, and once again, I am open to how they will be controlled

Edited by World_Of_Brick_

If you just want to turn the trains ON with the standard transformer preset to a certain speed you just need some kind of remote controlled power plug.

I'm from Europe so I'm not familliar with the options you might have in USA. I got myself a Belkin WeMo Switch, it's WiFi controlled and it is supported by OpenHAB so it would work - you just plug it to the main power plug and connect all you AC/DC adaptors to it (the trains 9V standard transformers and the Lifelites power adaptors) then you control from your laptop running OpenHAB when/how to turn everything ON, perhaps also using your iPhone as a remote.

I never used OpenHAB myself yet. I have a Raspberry Pi and a LEGO Mindstorms EV3 and bought the WeMo to try controlling things like the coffee machine from them but had not time yet. With the Mindstorms I wantto to use just plain python scripts (I run Linux ev3deve on it) but as you probably don't want to do all the coding yourself I suggested OpenHAB because it runs in several different systems, has a community to support you and it also supports several devices. But there are other home automation systems, perhaps you find a power plug switch with another good program that also supports your Philips Hue bridge.

Post your progress here. I'm very interested in your setup, my LUG is preparing an event in June and we might get new ideas for the Trains and for the City.

Is this part of a professional/commercial venture?

-In that case you would use PLC´s (Industrial computers) to tie everything together, and have it keep working automatically and flawlessly for years.

PLC modules with digital inputs and outputs for stops and start. You can also use analog output moduels to control lighting and speeds.

To control these things, you have scada software, which lets you control everything from a computer.

If your part of the world is North America, you would probably look into Allen-Bradley og General Electrics PLC and software equipment, while here in Europe I would look into Schneider and Siemens product suites... (Mainly, although everything is available in both places...)

All this stuff is very expensive, and not for the average hobbyist, though. -So if your project is "just for fun" in your own home, you can forget what I´ve just said... ;-)