Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Nathanael Kuipers' Predator

I have the exact same issue with 1st and reverse. I don't not have the steering or suspension issues though. The friction in those two gears is causing one of the CV axles in my differential to keep coming out of the Tan bevel gear. Not sure if this is a symptom or the cause though.

I am really stumped with your problem as well... Meatman lives in Altoona which isn't too far away.. Maybe all 3 of us can get together and try and solve the problem.... :laugh: Predator meeting tomorrow at 3 P.M. at Texas Roadhouse..!!! I have $95 in gift cards and have been wanting to get a 12 oz filet mignon and ribs..

Edited by Paul Boratko

I am really stumped with your problem as well... Meatman lives in Altoona which isn't too far away.. Maybe all 3 of us can get together and try and solve the problem.... :laugh: Predator meeting tomorrow at 3 P.M. at Texas Roadhouse..!!!

I'm in. Give me the address.

Gary, does the little 8 tooth gear on top of the gearbox that is being held by the tan frictionless pin look like it may be wobling and maybe creating your problem..?

Great review Blakbird, well worth the read and the pictures and renders are top notch.

Besides all the points already mentioned by others I think there's another point of this car that is very well executed:

- The colour scheme

Been looking at building this in an other colour, but I keep going back to the original colour scheme. Also considering Lego isn't helping for some colour schemes (no surprise), this original colour scheme looks the best imo even if Lego was helping to provide other colour schemes.

i agree - the original white plus some DBG and orange looks eminently... but black instead of white works very well too... but with black you might run into a serious problem: the non existence of black 19L flex axles... yesterday i looked into bricklink and there are exactly zero available - worldwide...

Started with this car yesterday and I have been building for 6 hours straight (arrived at page 83 of 125). This thing is really amazing and very well built. Unlike building some of TLGs sets, this one does not get boring :)

Edited by kennywest

@ Blakbird

What program do you use to render because when I render my models orange is always so pale.

like this >>> 21596359ie.png

I use Povray for Windows, and to get the pov files i use LDView.

Maybe the problems are the light scoure settings, because i use the default settings.

Could you possibly tell me some good settings?

I use POV-Ray. Looks like your lights are the problem. Read the whole series of articles I wrote for Hispabrick magazine to see what I do.

Review coming soon on TechLUG. But here is the video. It may give you a good idea of how this marvel works.

Thanks Anio.. A video is worth a 1000 pictures :)

Agreed. Seeing the gearbox linkage in action is just awesome

Hi,

I'm new to technic and there is something that is bugging me about this MOC, but could someone tell me what's the use for the gearbox? I was looking at the parts list and didn't see any motors to drive it.

Someone else Most people would be able to answer this better than me but here it goes...

Gearboxes aren't only necessary in motorized sets. In fact, many RC capable MOCs don't have a gearbox because it would add too much complexity or waste the power from the motor in driving gears that could be put towards propelling the MOCs

As for gearboxes in non-RC MOCs, remember that one of the "aims" of the Technic line is authenticity - to replicate the functions of the original as accurately as possible, given the available parts. Real supercars have gearboxes, so it makes sense that Lego supercars should emulate this.

In recent years the trend has moved away from transmission gearboxes to function gearboxes, presumably because the focus tests LEGO conduct show that there is more selling potential going down this route. But the best thing about Lego is that if you don't like what's available, you are free to do it your own way :classic:

Edit - This is an excellent article to read if you want to know more about how the increasing use of motorization has impacted Technic sets and MOCs.

Edited by Jay Psi

I am really stumped with your problem as well... Meatman lives in Altoona which isn't too far away.. Maybe all 3 of us can get together and try and solve the problem.... :laugh: Predator meeting tomorrow at 3 P.M. at Texas Roadhouse..!!! I have $95 in gift cards and have been wanting to get a 12 oz filet mignon and ribs..

I had the same issue, I added support on top of the gears to prevent the 8 gear from popping out and added a grey bush on the axel to prevent the gears from getting out of the differential :

17178734425_d6dbf5e70b.jpgPredator fix 01 by bmollema, on Flickr

17152806656_3aae348384.jpgPredator fix 02 by bmollema, on Flickr

I had a lot of fun building this SuperCar, thanks Nathanael for this instruction.

Edited by bmollema

Full review.

In French : http://www.techlug.fr/review-lego-technic/NK03/predator-NK03-nathanael-kuipers-2015

In English, if it is more convenient to you : http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=www.techlug.fr/review-lego-technic/NK03/predator-NK03-nathanael-kuipers-2015

But translator is kinda lost sometimes. It is quite technical explanations you know.

@bmollema very nice design. your spoiler I find it very successful, the original is a bit too small and mine is a bit exaggerated.(imho)

Edited by metulskie8

This is the first time I have ever bought instructions for a MOC - I am usually happier designing my own. I agree with many of the previous comments. The final look is pretty stunning, looks wise, the only thing I don't like much is that the steering wheel is so far to the side of the cabin. This maybe because the seats are forced out wide due to the engine protrusion.

Mechanically - the gear selector is brilliant, however, the gearbox is way to tight - so that in first and reverse the wheels actually skid along if no pressure is put down on them.

As my 7 year old plays with (and helped build all the bodywork) the model, I can also say that it is really frustrating that the front suspension pins continuously fall out when the car is driven around. (I think that the vertical links inside the suspension arms are supposed to stop this happening but it doesn't work.

A couple of mods to improve these two aspects would make this a great MOC in my opinion.

This is the first time I have ever bought instructions for a MOC - I am usually happier designing my own. I agree with many of the previous comments. The final look is pretty stunning, looks wise, the only thing I don't like much is that the steering wheel is so far to the side of the cabin. This maybe because the seats are forced out wide due to the engine protrusion.

Mechanically - the gear selector is brilliant, however, the gearbox is way to tight - so that in first and reverse the wheels actually skid along if no pressure is put down on them.

As my 7 year old plays with (and helped build all the bodywork) the model, I can also say that it is really frustrating that the front suspension pins continuously fall out when the car is driven around. (I think that the vertical links inside the suspension arms are supposed to stop this happening but it doesn't work.

A couple of mods to improve these two aspects would make this a great MOC in my opinion.

This is one problem that I do not have with mine. Something has to be off somewhere. They are falling out just by driving it around? As for the gearbox in 1st and reverse, I would check and see if you have an axle maybe slightly bent somewhere that is creating some unneeded rubbing. Mine was tight at first and I changed out all of the axles and it works great.

Edited by Meatman

This is one problem that I do not have with mine. Something has to be off somewhere. They are falling out just by driving it around? As for the gearbox in 1st and reverse, I would check and see if you have an axle maybe slightly bent somewhere that is creating some unneeded rubbing. Mine was tight at first and I changed out all of the axles and it works great.

The Gearbox, it is like it needs some oil in there - it squeals. Simple solution is to take one of the little 8 tooth gears out.

As for the steering, double checked and it is all as the instructions say it should be. The pins gradually work loose, and fall out. Having looked at the front steering and suspension in a little more detail, it is definitely not my favorite part of this model. I am also not in favour of the "Toe Out" set up on the front wheels. I have found that it is better that the front wheels have a little bit of "toe in" if the model is to be played with as this reduces wheel scrub and therefore the stresses. This means that things are much less likely to come loose etc.

Which pins are falling out? Do you have a picture? I've had zero problems with mine. Both the suspension and the gearbox work perfectly.

No problem as well.

You built something wrong. Or maybe some of the parts you used are damaged.

Which pins are falling out? Do you have a picture? I've had zero problems with mine. Both the suspension and the gearbox work perfectly.

I this the fault of the design?!, ore the mistakes from the builders. :wink:

Edited by VFracingteam

I this the fault of the design?!, ore the mistakes from the builders.

It could be either one, but even if it is a building mistake it means something in the instructions wasn't as clear as it could be. Hopefully we can figure out the problem with some pictures and everyone can benefit from it.