minchellabrick

Future of LDD: Next Lego Digital Designer Update?

Hi there I rang the LTG last Thursday and they have had a notification that the call centre staff have had the new LDD update. This is very annoying. Has any body else got the update and not told us on here? thanks.

They may be referring to the update we received last October, but if they do mean this year's spring update, then that sounds like some great news!

Do you think the next LDD update will ever come out?

There's no reason to believe that it won't ever be released. Relax. I'm as eager for an update as you are, but even having to wait another whole week or longer won't be the end of the world.

I do hope that the long wait this time around means that this update will do more than just add new bricks. It'd certainly be nice if it fixed some of the long-unresolved issues I've been experiencing on LDD for Mac.

Well, It's been a while, and no sign of update, When it will come I hope it won't be dissapointing......

That would be nice... but after seeing the images of the Lego Dimensions sets that appeared today, I'm wondering if the LDD update will actually contain all the new pieces that the Dimensions sets seem to have (Dr Who sonic screwdriver, the portal gun, a host of printed tiles :wub: ).

I think a few of the Dimensions set names haven't been revealed yet, so there might be some parts they have to keep under wraps until the game is released to avoid spoiling a surprise.

At this point, I'm starting to be convinced that the update will drop precisely when it's least convenient for me. Considering it didn't happen this past weekend when my house was internet-free, the next best (by which I mean worst) opportunity would be next week, when I'm on the Lego Inside Tour and will thus be far too busy for digital building.

I do agree that the long wait this year could possibly suggest that we're getting a more substantial update this time around... I can only hope.

Is it possible that they're working on LDD 5?

Edit: I just noticed that someone asked this above. Sorry. :tongue:

Edited by Masta' Blasta'

I hope they are trying to redo the base code so future LDD would be able to take advantage of multiple cores. Right now LDD can only use one core and it can struggle with large project or project with lots of polygon count (ie a dozen baseplates can make some cheap PC struggle and crash) while making it multi-core friendly would mean bigger and better project from people who has lots of time.

I need to replace my stuff, a good quad Opteron can have upward of 64 cores total in a single computer and for programs that can use all threads, it would rip anything up in no time. (not to mention empty wallet)

I wish the next LDD update was out now. I am going to France next month. #FirstWorldProblems

There, fixed that for ya. ;)

today I opened LDD and it hesitated at "installing bricks" on boot up and for a very noticeable moment I got really excited...and then it moved on and didn't install anything.....-_-

Sorry Thor, but I just did a fresh install of LDD and after everything installed successfully, there is still nothing new from the current version.

oh I know....it was probably more my PC lagging a bit....but when it lagged right at "installing bricks" I thought "FINALLY"...but guess not quite yet

Hopefully I am wrong, but I guess that a new LDD version will not show up before the release of Windows 10 somewhen this summer. I have to admit that this is pure speculation and not based on any proven facts whatsoever, but if I was a software product manager, I would wait until Windows 10 is RTM, and release a new version when I can be sure that it will work on Windows 10 as well. Taking these facts into consideration I do not expect a new LDD update before the end of August. So enjoy the summer and come back this fall... ( -- or enjoy the winter and come back next spring if you live at the southern part of the globe).

Hopefully I am wrong, but I guess that a new LDD version will not show up before the release of Windows 10 somewhen this summer. I have to admit that this is pure speculation and not based on any proven facts whatsoever, but if I was a software product manager, I would wait until Windows 10 is RTM, and release a new version when I can be sure that it will work on Windows 10 as well. Taking these facts into consideration I do not expect a new LDD update before the end of August. So enjoy the summer and come back this fall... ( -- or enjoy the winter and come back next spring if you live at the southern part of the globe).

that's not likely at all....think about it...LDD updates usually twice a year...spring (usually March or April) and fall (usually September or October) and Windows 10 isn't going to be out until July or August....so the smart thing to do would be to release the fall update to work with Windows 10 a month or two later at it's regularly scheduled release date....not hold up the spring update until a month or two before the fall update

Tomorrow will be Monday, June 1st. As the start of both a new week and a new month, it would seem like a good day for an update. At least, I would hope so—I don't know if we've ever had to wait this long for the spring update before.

Things like this make me wish Lego Digital Designer had some sort of "dev blog" where they could post about things like LDD tips and tricks, stories about what they do and how they do it, and news about updates, both when they're available and when they're in the works. As it is, the total lack of communication makes the wait practically unbearable. I have a few ideas as to WHY the update is taking so long, but it would greatly soothe my worries if we were to get some sort of confirmation one way or another.

Tomorrow will be Monday, June 1st. As the start of both a new week and a new month, it would seem like a good day for an update. At least, I would hope so—I don't know if we've ever had to wait this long for the spring update before.

June 1st is the date that a lot of summer sets will be released. So, maybe we will see an update :)