minchellabrick

Future of LDD: Next Lego Digital Designer Update?

You know maybe its time some one made a new LEGO cad program better than LDraw that's more like LDD.

Agreed!! Something more "Drag and Drop" /user friendly like LDD, with ability to nicely 3D render and lets you make sensible instructions that don't print out 400 pages long! I have 4-5 programs right now to do all the things I need! :)

Edited by shannanigan

Well here are my hopes and dreams gone for still using LDD for customs. Goodbye old friend, may you rest in our hearts forever. Looks like i will use Mecabricks as the main tool for customs from now on.

Edited by Ordinareo

Welp.

Bye world! :drunk:

In all seriousness, noooo! I love this program, and to hear that they're no longer updating it, really makes me sad. I've been using this for years, and I have planned many MOCs to make when new pieces are added. Looks like that won't happen. This severely hurts me, and it really sucks to see it go. I wish they'd release a new, better program like MECABricks. I loathe LDraw, it looks awful and isn't as nice as LDD.

RIP LDD :cry_sad:

Edited by CM4Sci

This is sad news indeed, although not really surprising. This will limit the creativity of many people which is the opposite of what TLG should be trying to achieve, but it also makes sense since it doesn't make them any money. The only hope is that they will make it open source or release a similar, improved software in the future, but that will probably take some time. Heck, I would gladly pay for a new version of LDD. In the meantime, LDD is still working fine on my computer, so I will keep using it as long as I can, but once it doesn't, I may have to start looking at LDraw or MecaBricks...

I'm seriously considering writing a complaint to TLG, but I'm not sure how much that is going to achieve at this point, considering that this decision seems to have been made a while ago. :sadnew: I guess we should just be glad that they supported it as long as they did.

This is also puzzling because of the plans to integrate LDD into Lego Worlds. Is the development of that game cancelled as well or are they just going to remove that feature in the final release of the game?

Will this section of the forum be renamed?

Why would it? It still contains discussions about LDD and other digital tools and people will continue to use Lego CAD software for as long as they can. The discontinued support of LDD doesn't change that.

While this may be in reference to Lego Dimensions, might it perhaps be a hint at a full redesign of the digital designer under a new name? Perhaps something with a mobile interface and a way of linking parts usage to the pick a brick availability for pick a brick style parts ordering.(ALL SPECULATION!)

I don't think it's a reference to Dimensions. That game is being developed by Tt Games. It's more likely a reference to things like the Nexo Knights app that are being developed by Lego's own development team. Which would be pretty sad if that's the case because that would meant that they're replacing an actual creative tool for a gimmicky game.

Speculations that they're abandoning LDD in favor of a newer, better version of it have been circulating in this thread for a while, but mostly that's just wishful thinking. LDD used to have the ability to order parts from PAB to build your designs, but then they took that away too... :sadnew:

Dear LDD users,

although I am not using LDD, I often have a look to this thread.

So reading this

... a new LEGO cad program better than LDraw that's more like LDD.

and this

I loathe LDraw, it looks awful and isn't as nice as LDD.

I feel I have to correct some misunderstandings and give you a better insight into “LDraw”.

LDraw is not a software tool like LDD. LDraw is a part library containing a huge amount of virtual lego parts. For building a model you can use so called part editors like MLcad, SR3Builder or LDcad. So the LDraw part library in combination with e.g. LDcad (my favourite part editor) may be comparable to LDD. A huge difference between “LDraw” and LDD I highly appreciate is that you can get easily in contact with the makers of LDraw. It’s fully transparent.

I think you should give LDraw a try! No need to loathe LDraw.

kind regards

papacharly

@papacharly: I agree. I do like LDD and use it a lot but there are things I could not have pulled off without LDraw.

This is sad news indeed, although not really surprising. This will limit the creativity of many people which is the opposite of what TLG should be trying to achieve, but it also makes sense since it doesn't make them any money. The only hope is that they will make it open source or release a similar, improved software in the future, but that will probably take some time. Heck, I would gladly pay for a new version of LDD. In the meantime, LDD is still working fine on my computer, so I will keep using it as long as I can, but once it doesn't, I may have to start looking at LDraw or MecaBricks...

Agreed on all points except the money. If you're building in LDD and purchasing bricks to replicate the MOC in real life, then Lego has made money from LDD; they just have no way of quantifying it. To automatically assume it has lost money is a Type II error.

Dear LDD users,

although I am not using LDD, I often have a look to this thread.

So reading this

and this

I feel I have to correct some misunderstandings and give you a better insight into “LDraw”.

LDraw is not a software tool like LDD. LDraw is a part library containing a huge amount of virtual lego parts. For building a model you can use so called part editors like MLcad, SR3Builder or LDcad. So the LDraw part library in combination with e.g. LDcad (my favourite part editor) may be comparable to LDD. A huge difference between “LDraw” and LDD I highly appreciate is that you can get easily in contact with the makers of LDraw. It’s fully transparent.

I think you should give LDraw a try! No need to loathe LDraw.

kind regards

papacharly

I have I hate it! Mostly because it has no collisions and feels like its stuck in the 90's

LDD is my favorite LEGO editing tool. I don't make anything in LEGO without sketching it out first in LDD. And LDD had such potential! These animations are just LDD screenshots:

22346218390_ce611d7e18_o.gif22534168875_e83a1b03d3_o.gif

The rezzing in was just taking pieces from hidden to transparent to solid colors. The whole panning around was just by clicking on the rotation arrows for a frame. I can imagine someone making whole movie sets from LEGO and telling dynamic, entertaining, animated stories just using LDD screenshots. Just not with any more new pieces, now...

- I doubt TLG will make the part geometries public. They went to great lengths to prevent this with Ldd2PovRay for example. My guess is their biggest concern is to make the geometry available to competitors - TLG probably spent quite a lot of effort optimizing that the parts are safe, they last, etc. By releasing the geometry it would be pretty easy for others to copy them.

Those who can produce parts.. don't really need Lego's help for the 3D design. In fact, Megablocks has all the nice parts while Lego still focuses on minifig stuff - so I wish Lego was copying others. Quite a lot of the top most useful Lego parts were originally minifig accessories, and suck (extra detail bits that get stuck) for that reason. Lego's biggest value is its name & history, & then the licenses (which are copied a lot and no one needs help for that).

I would assume that the value of a new part depends on whether it's in the LDD or not. If a lot of MOCers use the LDD, they won't use as much the new parts that aren't in it (especially the ones that aren't there for decoration), & the new sets should sell less. But sure, adults (either directly or through BL resellers) might not weight much compared to the kids.

I don't think it's a big problem that the LDD gets discontinued, it works well. Sure, I can imagine 1000 ways to improve it, but it works well enough, and it's not like a new "system" is gonna pop up tomorrow. All the stuff is already there, the main problem is that the database gets discontinued, and that's what we should be asking to Lego, the file format. It can still live for a long time by only updating the database.

Edited by anothergol

I have tried mecabricks by the way. It's clunky as hell, confusing and frustrating. When I look for Lego building experience, I look for something like LDD and not the CAD programs everyone are so used to. I have been building in LDD for many years since its early stages. You can say my opinion is a matter of habit, and therefore subjective.

But it will stand as it is: anything but Lego Digital Deisgner in my hands feels wrong and unnatural, so I will continue to use it even if it'll grow outdated and obsolete.

I started out in MLcad and did some building. Even recreated one of my models. One thing that bothered me was the constant fiddeling to place the bricks as soon you had made an adjustment. it resulted in gaps and not nice looking models.

I opened up that file a 1-2 years later when LDD appeard. It could not bee imported into LDD since of all th miss allignmet of the brcks. More or less needed to rebuild the model in LDD to make it happend.

Thats why i left the MLcad and the Ldraw when LDD came. I also used the buy model option when it was there.

Recntly i use LDD to plan Mocs.

If other programs get a Click in place option i may look it up.

LDD was not perfect but it was better to use than the other options. Sad to see it go.

Edited by mrfuture

[...]

If other programs get a Click in place option i may look it up.

[...]

Well, SR3D Builder has had it for years. Sadly, the author passed away and it isn't being updated anymore.

I can also really recommend LDCad, it also has automatic-brick snapping like in LDD (altough not on all parts, but on most parts). The GUI might look a bit strange, but it works perfectly fine. :classic:

If you try LDCad and you're coming from LDD, I can really recommend these settings to make it more LDD-like:

• in the lower-left square with the 3 colored-arrows, click the red GS text so it turns into green PS text to turn it part-snapping (it is off by default...).
  • in the same lower-left square, press the white TBL text to set it on SPN-mode. TBL is trackball mode and SPN is spin-mode. It changes how you can rotate the model you're working on. I highly prefer SPN mode, it's also the same way LDD works.
  • Also, for a higher quality, you can turn on Anti-Aliassing in top menu > Prefs > LDraw > Use AA on edges.

It might take a little time to get used to LDCad (also read the manual :wink: ), but it's by far not as difficult as MLCad and once you know all the little tips and tricks, it's an (imo) amazing piece of software :classic:

It might take a little time to get used to LDCad (also read the manual :wink: ), but it's by far not as difficult as MLCad and once you know all the little tips and tricks, it's an (imo) amazing piece of software :classic:

I agree 100%, I've been using LDCad exclusively when I'm serious about building something. I use Ubuntu and it's a blessing to have such a great piece of software available on my OS.

Do yourself a favour and build one model with it before you decide if it's for you or not.

I personally used LDD to quickly throw a basic model together, export it and import to MLCad usually, fix all the missing parts (mainly misalignments/export issues) and then clean up.

MLCad is a great tool but it is really slow to use when starting fresh. Love all the Ldraw suite of tools though for exporting, rendering, generating instructions and so on.

Still, a few improvements from LDD could make it a killer tool like having the option to turn on collisions.

MLCad will be what I use when LDD becomes unusable.

Isn't there LEGO Worlds? And isn't that still in Steam Early Access? Maybe they're cutting LDD out for now to optimize Worlds?

While I doubt a petition to have LEGO restart it would be effective, a petition to have it become open source seems like it'd have a chance. If the part dimensions issue is what's preventing this, that's rather strange, since the part documents are easy enough to get to for competitors to be able to get the dimensions without much effort, even if it doesn't become open source.

The fact that they integrated into LEGO Worlds despite cancelling it doesn't help my confusion. And it seems very strange for LEGO to start the Worlds project and then just cancel it without even trying to implement key features. And they just updated the Steam page for it thirteen days ago, which is presumably long after the decision had been made.

If they are making a new tool, I'm not sure what it could even add, besides the ability to lock the relative position of two or more unconnected parts, which would be useful for stuff like storing ammo for the new 2x2 disc launcher while keeping model posability.

Edited by DraikNova

TLG has responded to earlier statement in the Ambassador forum (My source for this is still Swebrick's Ambassador)

Tanja Friberg | LEGO

– about 2 hours ago

⚑ Report comment Link to comment

Dear all, I just want to let you know that the information that Kevin shared earlier is news to us and we understand the confusion and distress this has caused in the fan community. I have a meeting scheduled to look into this today, after the meeting I hope to be able to shed some more light on the situation, you will hear from me on LAN in a couple of hours.

Tanja Friberg | LEGO

– 16 minutes ago

⚑ Report comment Link to comment

Dear Ambassadors, I hope this will help clarify a bit of the confusion and misunderstanding from our end regarding LDD. TLG will remain committed to digital building going forward, in regards to LDD, this means that we will continue to support the current functionality. We will not be doing automatic updates on elements, however elements will continue to be added from time to time. Unfortunately we cannot ensure that all elements are made available. I can see that the message has spread widely in the community since Kevin’s statement and I hope that you will assist us in spreading this message as well. Thank you!

So less dead it seems, but still nothing about a future update.

I have tried mecabricks by the way. It's clunky as hell, confusing and frustrating. When I look for Lego building experience, I look for something like LDD and not the CAD programs everyone are so used to. I have been building in LDD for many years since its early stages. You can say my opinion is a matter of habit, and therefore subjective.

But it will stand as it is: anything but Lego Digital Deisgner in my hands feels wrong and unnatural, so I will continue to use it even if it'll grow outdated and obsolete.

Yes, this! Every single word!

However it gets really hard to not have all those fancy new parts available. Sad news.