minchellabrick

Future of LDD: Next Lego Digital Designer Update?

Call me a fool for still having hope, but now I was thinking, maybe we'll get the update in December as a Christmas present from TLG? Maybe they planned it all along? Maybe It's a really huge update, with all new bricks released this year, or maybe even it will be LDD 5.0? We'll have to wait another month to find out...

That would be awesome! Here's hoping.

If we get an update anytime soon, I doubt it'll include more than... 20 new bricks :tongue:

That's my fear. We've gotten so far behind that even a normal-sized update would leave us more than half a year out of date. As much as I hope that the lack of updates is partially because something big is coming, we don't have any real evidence that that's the case.

That's my fear. We've gotten so far behind that even a normal-sized update would leave us more than half a year out of date. As much as I hope that the lack of updates is partially because something big is coming, we don't have any real evidence that that's the case.

I disagree....they've already announced that LDD will be usable with Lego Worlds in that you'll be able to port LDD builds into Lego Worlds....here's the issue with that...you CAN'T just slap to programs like that together and hope they work....software doesn't work like that....which is why LDD has issues with Apple OS'...it was built for Windows...so in order to make an older program (which hasn't had an actual software update in how many years?) work with a newer one they would have to update the base code of the older program (In this case LDD) to work with the newer program (Lego worlds)...which means it's NOT abandoned by LDD and means it will get more then a brick update...and for it to be taking this long makes LDD 5.0 an actual possibility....they're updating everything...and that would take a WHILE....now this is an assumption...but it is a logical one based on how little we've actually been told

Edited by ThorsHammer9999

I disagree....they've already announced that LDD will be usable with Lego Worlds in that you'll be able to port LDD builds into Lego Worlds....here's the issue with that...you CAN'T just slap to programs like that together and hope they work....software doesn't work like that....which is why LDD has issues with Apple OS'...it was built for Windows...so in order to make an older program (which hasn't had an actual software update in how many years?) work with a newer one they would have to update the base code of the older program (In this case LDD) to work with the newer program (Lego worlds)...which means it's NOT abandoned by LDD and means it will get more then a brick update...and for it to be taking this long makes LDD 5.0 an actual possibility....they're updating everything...and that would take a WHILE....now this is an assumption...but it is a logical one based on how little we've actually been told

I second this, man.

I disagree....they've already announced that LDD will be usable with Lego Worlds in that you'll be able to port LDD builds into Lego Worlds....here's the issue with that...you CAN'T just slap to programs like that together and hope they work....software doesn't work like that....

If it was anounced that "you'll be able to port LDD builds into Lego Worlds", then it requires zero change in the LDD, only a loader in Lego Worlds. Or, of course, an exporter in LDD. In either case, nothing that requires a rewrite, and nothing that's OS-dependant, just a little loader/converter bit of code.

If it was anounced that "you'll be able to port LDD builds into Lego Worlds", then it requires zero change in the LDD, only a loader in Lego Worlds. Or, of course, an exporter in LDD. In either case, nothing that requires a rewrite, and nothing that's OS-dependant, just a little loader/converter bit of code.

I think it's gonna needs more than that. They need to make the creation in ldd works on lego worlds, means that it's not just exist in lego world, but actually able to interact with it. For example, we make a car in ldd, the user would hope it to be able to roam around the world, instead of being a static decoration only. Wheel rolling, minifigs walking and running, weapon shoots, etc. That kind of things certainly needs a tweak on the code, instead of just adding loader or exporter.

Edited by bacem

I think it's gonna needs more than that. They need to make the creation in ldd works on lego worlds, means that it's not just exist in lego world, but actually able to interact with it. For example, we make a car in ldd, the user would hope it to be able to roam around the world, instead of being a static decoration only. Wheel rolling, minifigs walking and running, weapon shoots, etc. That kind of things certainly needs a tweak on the code, instead of just adding loader or exporter.

Agreed. A loader still needs to be written, checked and double checked for compatibility on multiple OS's and debugged before it's released. Additional code needs to be written to convert the .LXF files used in LDD to whatever the 3D models are in LEGO Worlds (.3ds, .obj or whatever they may be).

... Wheel rolling, minifigs walking and running, weapon shoots, etc. That kind of things certainly needs a tweak on the code, instead of just adding loader or exporter.

That is implementation - dependent, and for sure can be done in loader.

In your example of car, lego worlds loader can easy distinguish wheel from brick and make one rolling. It is tricky in case of interlocked parts (gears, axles, etc) but definitely possible.

If it was announced?.....here http://lego-worlds.wikia.com/wiki/LEGO_Digital_Designer ....try to keep up man.....and as for you talking about a loader/exporter no....if you ever bothered to keep up you would read how it's as easy as placing the model into the right file for Worlds....but they have mentioned that they have had issues with it as Lego Worlds brick palette is not as extensive as LDDs and that Worlds tends to break the models...oh also it works in reverse...worlds to LDD....but again it tends to break the models...so....clearly updating the base code for the older program (LDD) and the brick Palette for Worlds are the two biggest issues to tackle right now to make them completely compatible, and more then likely those two issues are the focus of the Lego Digital Media Team and The Lego Group....and since LDD hasn't had more then the odd brick update in how long?....5? 6 years? that would mean LDD would need to be tackled 1st as it would be the biggest project....therefore it is likely and logical to assume that they are currently busy rebuilding LDD to work with Worlds ergo it's logical to assume that they are making LDD 5.0....again this is an assumption and NOT a fact.....but the logic tracks

That would make sense (for wheels rolling, although it can be "guessed", as it has been replied - but minifigs walking(??))

If you're talking about particle effects, I seriously doubt that they're gonna add that to the LDD, which has a philosophy of a (too much, IMHO) simple-to-use tool.

In any case, I think we're all mainly waiting for the LDD's palette to be updated for this year's parts, and the fact that it already features more parts than LW supports is sadly not a good hint that it's gonna happen soon enough.

If LDD will be an official tool for LEGO World, I think that it will need:

- An update that will allow to run LDD flawlessly on modern operating systems.

- A "LEGO World" mode that allows to use only bricks and colours compatible with LEGO World.

General improvements and an up to date brick palette would be welcome, but not necessary.

An importer/exporter is not really necessary too, it could be integrated in LEGO World (and accept LXF files) or even in a web application.

Anyway a more integrated solution would be easier to use, so it could be a better choice depending on the target of the videogame.

Edited by Calabar

for reference, Lego Universe had building spaces on it, and although you could not import models from LDD to LU, the opposite worked very easily. the game used .lxf files for models on properties (the building space) and those were saved locally on your own PC, all you had to do was find them in the data folders and you could open them straight into LDD. I hope Lego worlds has something just as simple in mind.

In two days, it will have been exactly one year since the last version update of LDD. In four days, it'll have been a year since the last brick update.

Just thought I'd let y'all know. :sceptic:

Sigh. I just discovered MECABRICKS today (WOW) so I'm gonna try it out for a bit. It's a little more complex, I can't drag anything around, or add custom decals, but it's nice. Oh, and I can actually render my stuff.

We'll have to wait and see. :sceptic:

In two days, it will have been exactly one year since the last version update of LDD. In four days, it'll have been a year since the last brick update.

Just thought I'd let y'all know. :sceptic:

It's now one year and two days. And still counting.

Hi all just to let you know LEGO contacted me and said they are not offering updates for LDD anymore but apparently there are updates on here (eurobricks)?

That's all.

Hi all just to let you know LEGO contacted me and said they are not offering updates for LDD anymore but apparently there are updates on here (eurobricks)?

That's all.

Are you sure?

I'm asking because there has been talk to the contrary on this board, within this particular forum.

That would be awesome! Here's hoping.

I hope so, guy!

Since there won't be an update anytime soon would TLG consider outsourcing the 3D modelling for LDD to the community here at Eurobricks? I understand that to be able to do so would break the EULA, but if TLG gave us permission, that would no longer be an issue. One of the developers could double check a community made part is compatible and have it thrown in to the program just so everyone can be on the same page.

That's all.

<----- Doesn't believe this as they've already announced that LDD will by usable in conjunction with Lego Worlds, please refer to http://lego-worlds.wikia.com/wiki/LEGO_Digital_Designer for my meaning, likely what they meant was they're not offering an update currently or for the forseeable future, meaning they're isn't one on the way yet as they are working on other things but that sometime in the future they may release updates.

ThorsHammer9999

Hi I was told by a woman called Josephine that they weren't offering anymore updates I wish kept the email, I would have posted it here to show you she advised me to come on here as there were updates on here what other people have made but I haven't seen any I wonder if she meant updates for LeoCAD? :sceptic:

It is plausible that what was meant by "updates" is keeping the community apprised of what's going on with LDD. That they are no longer doing.

ThorsHammer9999

Hi I was told by a woman called Josephine that they weren't offering anymore updates I wish kept the email, I would have posted it here to show you she advised me to come on here as there were updates on here what other people have made but I haven't seen any I wonder if she meant updates for LeoCAD? :sceptic:

I know there is general recommendation from LEGO Customers Services to visit this forum for updates to the Ldraw/XML file (so LDD better can convert to/from Ldraw), but that's all. We don't have any updates to LDD itself (bricks etc). It would have been interesting to read both your question and the response from LEGO, to better decipher exactly what was meant.