minchellabrick

Future of LDD: Next Lego Digital Designer Update?

I think RoxYourBlox is giving a fair and honest statement. It is in fact odd and a bit poor that TLG has not been able to communicate better with us. And that they don't invest at least a few manhours in updating the LDD software (GUI etc). I don't see it as rage. If they have a product out there, why not keep it up to standard? Even if it's free.

At the same time I think you have a point too ThorsHammer. TLG is doing what they can as they see fit. And they have indeed kept the brickset updated pretty good through the years, even though it has been driven mostly by as few individuals around the LDD Team.

I just had a thought; Nexo Knights is due out in Jan 2016, and it has at least twelve (there may be more) new molds visible in the preliminary images, including a new windshield and two new large wedge pieces. We may not get a new LDD parts update until the official images of these sets are announced and/or reviewers are allowed to share their thoughts on the sets they get ahead of the release date.

I just had a thought; Nexo Knights is due out in Jan 2016, and it has at least twelve (there may be more) new molds visible in the preliminary images, including a new windshield and two new large wedge pieces. We may not get a new LDD parts update until the official images of these sets are announced and/or reviewers are allowed to share their thoughts on the sets they get ahead of the release date.

Not to mention..

- Doctor Who hairpiece

- Sonic Screwdriver

- TFA blaster

- TFA spring blaster

- spring blaster brick

- mini spring

- all those new visors

- all the new armor

- big bull knight

- SOOO much more.

Maybe they are waiting until then to introduce the new pieces.

Maybe... but we've gone through this whole song and dance before, with Star Wars (and with Disney breathing down Lego's neck to prevent The Force Awakens products from leaking, that made for a far more compelling case). Just because new parts will be released several months in the future (as is literally always the case) isn't a compelling reason to assume that that's a valid excuse for an update to be delayed, particularly since those parts could just as easily be reserved for a later update instead of delaying an update that's already more than half a year overdue.

I'm sure Lego has their reasons for the delay—perhaps the next update is a more substantial update, and they're building in new features or compatibility with other software such as Lego Worlds. But it's time to stop assuming that every new part seen in future sets is a harbinger of the long-awaited parts update, because if the update only consisted of new parts there would be no reason why they couldn't add the plethora of new parts released this year on their own.

I'm assuming and hoping that the delay is caused by the upcoming release of LDD 5.0. This is because as Lyichir said they need it to be compatible with other digital media and they need to update the basic features and potentially make it a bit more user friendly and that we'll either see an update later this year (the fall update always comes out lat Sep. to mid Oct.) or early next year depending on what changes were made and what was added.

Guys, just being currious: where do you get it from that there is any LDD 5 "in the work" at all, can you point me to the source or is it just a guess? :look:

Guys, just being currious: where do you get it from that there is any LDD 5 "in the work" at all, can you point me to the source or is it just a guess? :look:

It's all speculation. We know pretty much nothing.

Aha and wouldn't it be more logical suggesting based on known "uninterest" from TLG when it comes to LDD that they simply do not care about it anymore or at least that they put it at rest for now? To me that would sound much more logic tho I would be more than happy if I was wrong...just saying.

Aha and wouldn't it be more logical suggesting based on known "uninterest" from TLG when it comes to LDD that they simply do not care about it anymore or at least that they put it at rest for now? To me that would sound much more logic tho I would be more than happy if I was wrong...just saying.

except they've already confirmed that it'll be usable with Lego Worlds......why abandon LDD when it's going to be applicable to an upcoming product?.....makes me think that they're updating the base code so it works with Worlds and that's what's taking so long.....the LDD 5.0 with more and better features and more bricks and decals is just me hoping

except they've already confirmed that it'll be usable with Lego Worlds......why abandon LDD when it's going to be applicable to an upcoming product?.....makes me think that they're updating the base code so it works with Worlds and that's what's taking so long.....the LDD 5.0 with more and better features and more bricks and decals is just me hoping

I really hope that is true, we can only hope.

Edited by Ordinareo

Sounds like a good idea if it is so. SNOT building or having more parts in lego worlds would be awesome.

They haven't missed any release dates....there is no set schedule for updates.....they're just released when they're released.....all these supposed "release dates" were just potential update possibilities proposed by fans of the product....more then likely they have a lot going on and while LDD isn't being given up on it's just NOT a priority and they'll release an update when they can.....and as such there is no need to rage quit as it seems you're doing

It is not "rage quit" as much as Lego quitting on LDD users. At the very least, they need to keep the program up-to-date with currently available operating systems, otherwise LDD inevitably will fall further into disrepair--unless users set aside an old computer running an outdated OS. That's unfair to us! At that point, I'd rather pay for it; and if I'm paying for LDD, it might as well be a professional version that their employees use.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115313

It is not "rage quit" as much as Lego quitting on LDD users. At the very least, they need to keep the program up-to-date with currently available operating systems, otherwise LDD inevitably will fall further into disrepair--unless users set aside an old computer running an outdated OS. That's unfair to us! At that point, I'd rather pay for it; and if I'm paying for LDD, it might as well be a professional version that their employees use.

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=115313

Lego hasn't quit on LDD users....they've announced that it'll be usable with Lego Worlds.....why would they abandon something that is going to be used in future developments that will make them money?....abandoning it is counterproductive and just you being presumptuous....also I have Windows X....LDD works fine...it is up to date with current OS's....I also love how you declare them giving away a GREAT lego building program for free them keeping it up to date for almost 15 years again, for free, supposedly unfair....even if they did quit LDD, which again they're not, but if they did quit it in favor of projects that would make them more money....they gave us 15 years FREE

LDD works fine...it is up to date with current OS's....

Not exactly. Last release of OSX "El Capitan" broke some LDD functionalities, advanced graphics is not available anymore.

This is the answer given to an OSX user that he reported in the other topic.

I'm not having any issues with it

Win X is megablocking up my audio and microphone though....the drivers weren't made to work with Win X so I occasionally have to reboot so it detects that they are there but otherwise Win X has no issues

I'm not having any issues with it ...

The reported issue was related to the last release of OSX, so it is not strange that you, with Windows 10, have not problems.

But if the answer that the user received from the LEGO customer service is true, there is not a bright future for LDD.

I “filed a bug”¹ on LDD back in April 2014 and I got this answer at the time:

We’re sorry that you are experiencing problems with LEGO® Digital Designer. Please note that we have stop this service on 16 January 2012 and that there isn't any team anymore that updates the service which means that unfortunately no changes will be made at this stage.

There still were brick updates after that date. I don’t know if that meant:

— they don’t update the software anymore, just bricks,

— they didn’t understand at all what I was saying :grin:

(¹ The bug was about importing LDR files: LDD didn’t import lines with a spaces in front.)

Facing the same issue with "El Capitan" + random crashes on exit.

Just sent an e-mail to Lego and took the opportunity to ask for next update ... who knows ?

Neuro

Edited by NeuroMimetis

"Please note that we have stop this service on 16 January 2012....."I remember this...the service they stopped was being able to order your custom lego sets....not LDD...just the ability to order a custom box and instructions and pieces for your custom set.....as you've said there are still brick updates and also as has been pointed out they announced that you would be able to import models from LDD into Lego Worlds.....now that they have found another means with which to apply LDD to actual production thereby giving it value making it also make sense to update the base code so LDD works with Worlds meaning they would be updating the actual software itself so ti will work with other software meaning that LDD 5.0 is likely to be coming down the pipeline very soon

"Please note that we have stop this service on 16 January 2012....."I remember this...the service they stopped was being able to order your custom lego sets....not LDD...just the ability to order a custom box and instructions and pieces for your custom set

Which was utterly ridiculous, one stud was $8 for me so I never did it.

Still no news?

Which was utterly ridiculous, one stud was $8 for me so I never did it.

Still no news?

I never bothered either...I could got o pick a brick and get all the pieces I needed for a fraction of the cost

Facing the same issue with "El Capitan" + random crashes on exit.

Just sent an e-mail to Lego and took the opportunity to ask for next update ... who knows ?

Neuro

Got an answer from Lego ... Here

Neuro

"Please note that we have stop this service on 16 January 2012....."I remember this...the service they stopped was being able to order your custom lego sets....not LDD...just the ability to order a custom box and instructions and pieces for your custom set.....

Yes, I thought that was what they were refering to. (That service was during my dark ages.)

I filed the bug via their web interface, category “LDD.” I think it was understandable: I talked about LDraw specs, file format, and importing those files, nothing about the web or uploading it to them.

As the answer meant either “we don’t care” (so, why have a category in the problem-reporting form?) or “we don’t (want to) understand,” I let it go.