minchellabrick

Future of LDD: Next Lego Digital Designer Update?

Was just on the customer service site when I noticed this message:

Seems the customer service reps have received some sort of additional training. Has anyone attempted to contact them about LDD in the past two days on the off chance that they received new information (or at least new scripts) about the next LDD update?

Interesting

nah more than likely the new training was over proper responses, and the new sets, over the past couple weeks there have been probably a lot of different people asking for news on an LDD Update and everyone was given a different answer, also they were probably trained on any basic questions people could potentially call or email with pertaining to the new sets.

Err--correct me if I'm wrong, but don't LEGO set designers use an internal version of LDD to aid them in set design? If that's the case, I don't see why they wouldn't continue support for the software--neither Worlds nor Dimensions can fill the necessary niche internally, and given how easy it is for them to push internal LDD updates to external as appropriate, I see no reason why they'd stop. :wacko:

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I really hope I'm not. :blush:

nah more than likely the new training was over proper responses, and the new sets, over the past couple weeks there have been probably a lot of different people asking for news on an LDD Update and everyone was given a different answer, also they were probably trained on any basic questions people could potentially call or email with pertaining to the new sets.

Unfortunately I think exactly the same and I am afraid we might be quite right, but on the other hand - who knows, right? Yet it is quite strange that we have here ppl from TLG and no one shed a tiny bit of light about this problem whatsoever, that tells a lot as for their interest about this issue, at least it seems like that o me, sad. :sceptic:

Err--correct me if I'm wrong, but don't LEGO set designers use an internal version of LDD to aid them in set design? If that's the case, I don't see why they wouldn't continue support for the software--neither Worlds nor Dimensions can fill the necessary niche internally, and given how easy it is for them to push internal LDD updates to external as appropriate, I see no reason why they'd stop. :wacko:

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I really hope I'm not. :blush:

I hope you are wrong too + it is somehow strange that they are using basically LDD for all their designs yet they are unable to make any new update for so long + would that really be ruing for TLG hire a few programmers just for the LDD? They would even not notice they have some new empleyees on their payroll regarding what kind of money they are earning each year - from this point of view it looks like they really do not care about "small" free segment of their empire. :classic:

It just seems like there's been no update for too long. Like they probably have all the development staff shifted to Worlds and Dimensions, and that those will actually be viably lucrative endeavors, whereas LDD isn't monetized. They probably downgraded LDD's development and addition priority, but once they start generating profit off of Worlds and Dimensions, there will be less and less motivation to keep LDD up-to-date with parts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know LDD is made by TLG's own developers while Worlds and Dimensions are made by Tt Games who have nothing to do with the development of LDD. Also, Worlds and LDD are connected, so if they are planning to move forward with Worlds, it should be in their best interest to keep supporting LDD. Of course, Worlds only uses a fraction of LDD's parts palette, so there's no need for them to update LDD's parts for that game, but as others have said, TLG uses LDD themselves, so they must keep it updated. Heck, they even use LDD for the environments in The LEGO Movies! Therefore, I'm expecting to see an LDD update eventually (hopefully sooner than later).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know LDD is made by TLG's own developers while Worlds and Dimensions are made by Tt Games who have nothing to do with the development of LDD. Also, Worlds and LDD are connected, so if they are planning to move forward with Worlds, it should be in their best interest to keep supporting LDD. Of course, Worlds only uses a fraction of LDD's parts palette, so there's no need for them to update LDD's parts for that game, but as others have said, TLG uses LDD themselves, so they must keep it updated. Heck, they even use LDD for the environments in The LEGO Movies! Therefore, I'm expecting to see an LDD update eventually (hopefully sooner than later).

I know about the Worlds/LDD connection, and even though TT is developing Worlds, I wouldn't be surprised if the regular LDD team was doing contract work to make sure it built in-system during play. I know it's in Early Access right now and that a lot of people (in this thread, even) are playing it and finding problems with limitations on the brick palette. The fact that LDD is used as a development tool is also not news to me, and I agree that to that end it would be in their best interests to keep it up-to-date, and I'm certain that for the most part, they have. In-house, and within the studios of their commercial partnerships. I'm not saying that LEGO will never update LDD, I'm saying we might not see those updates.

I'm also saying I could be totally off-base about this, and that everything I've said is speculation.

There is a small possibility that I'm also acting as a universal counterbalance for all the boundless optimism that it'll be "any hour now".

Based on bits and pieces I've picked up over the years, my picture is that TLG doesn't officially use LDD for their internal digital design, but that there are a few designers that use it for mocking up and sketching. For finalizing the model, they then move on to an internal pro-tool. As a side note, this is where the LXF-format comes in handy - it's the same format for both tools. I was able to see this once on a fan event, how they opened a LXF model from LDD directly in their pro-tool, and then got all the high Level-of-Detail bricks. It's looked stunning.

About the future of LDD - my personal view is that TLG seems to be focusing most effort on play related digital tools, such as Worlds. But Worlds will never be a true digital LEGO editor IMHO - that is not the intent, and to do any kind of serious design work, you need a specialized tool with the features that come with it. In Worlds you build "in-context" to do simple things for the play experience. It's a Minecraft challenger

LDD is as a great intermediary between digital and physical, and I hope TLG is not giving up on it's only true digital building tool for their customers - I mean, even kids would eventually like to design something a bit more complicated then a simple car or house in Worlds. My biggest worry is that that more senior management at LEGO are unaware of LDD and how popular it is and that TLG need a true digital building tool.

Based on bits and pieces I've picked up over the years, my picture is that TLG doesn't officially use LDD for their internal digital design, but that there are a few designers that use it for mocking up and sketching. For finalizing the model, they then move on to an internal pro-tool. As a side note, this is where the LXF-format comes in handy - it's the same format for both tools. I was able to see this once on a fan event, how they opened a LXF model from LDD directly in their pro-tool, and then got all the high Level-of-Detail bricks. It's looked stunning.

About the future of LDD - my personal view is that TLG seems to be focusing most effort on play related digital tools, such as Worlds. But Worlds will never be a true digital LEGO editor IMHO - that is not the intent, and to do any kind of serious design work, you need a specialized tool with the features that come with it. In Worlds you build "in-context" to do simple things for the play experience. It's a Minecraft challenger

LDD is as a great intermediary between digital and physical, and I hope TLG is not giving up on it's only true digital building tool for their customers - I mean, even kids would eventually like to design something a bit more complicated then a simple car or house in Worlds. My biggest worry is that that more senior management at LEGO are unaware of LDD and how popular it is and that TLG need a true digital building tool.

Well said.

I just got an response from Customer Service after emailing them on Tuesday:

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I understand your concern with our LEGO Digital Designer and appreciate you reaching out to us! LDD is being integrated into more and more of our current products- there aren’t plans to abandon it, but a timetable for updates is currently unavailable. I apologize for the frustration, but hang tight as one of our awesome loyal fans and you should enjoy what comes next!

So no news on when we might expect an update, but I am glad for the confirmation that LDD's is still continuing to be developed.

I understand your concern with our LEGO Digital Designer and appreciate you reaching out to us! LDD is being integrated into more and more of our current products- there aren’t plans to abandon it, but a timetable for updates is currently unavailable. I apologize for the frustration, but hang tight as one of our awesome loyal fans and you should enjoy what comes next!

So no news on when we might expect an update, but I am glad for the confirmation that LDD's is still continuing to be developed.

Huzzah LDD is not dead!

Edited by Ordinareo

"but hang tight as one of our awesome loyal fans and you should enjoy what comes next!"

That last bit tells me they know what's coming for it but not so much when and that we will greatly enjoy it

Maybe they're referring to something with LEGO Worlds. I hope not.

I'm sure that's part of what they're referring to. But the way they phrase it makes it sound like it's not all of it. "More and more of our current products" sounds like they have more plans for LDD than just that. *hopes for a dedicated phone/tablet version*

any news on a new update yet?

Nada. Except this little vague CS response.

Not updating LDD or providing us with pro-level development tools is ignorant on Lego's behalf. Sorry, there are too many techniques to be innovated faster with digital rather than real bricks, and too many young builders to be inspired by LDD-developed MOCs at fan events. And by limiting up-to-date development tools only to staff is being arrogant, in so far as they would be assuming their brightest minds are all employed by them.

I've spent too much time following the videogame industry to be naive enough to continue wishing for a product that has missed several release dates. RIP, LDD. If you are done, so am I.

Edited by RoxYourBlox

Not updating LDD or providing us with pro-level development tools is ignorant on Lego's behalf. Sorry, there are too many techniques to be innovated faster with digital rather than real bricks, and too many young builders to be inspired by LDD-developed MOCs at fan events. And by limiting up-to-date development tools only to staff is being arrogant, in so far as they would be assuming their brightest minds are all employed by them.

I've spent too much time following the videogame industry to be naive enough to continue wishing for a product that has missed several release dates. RIP, LDD. If you are done, so am I.

They haven't missed any release dates....there is no set schedule for updates.....they're just released when they're released.....all these supposed "release dates" were just potential update possibilities proposed by fans of the product....more then likely they have a lot going on and while LDD isn't being given up on it's just NOT a priority and they'll release an update when they can.....and as such there is no need to rage quit as it seems you're doing