minchellabrick

Future of LDD: Next Lego Digital Designer Update?

No news from me, and I have no clue what's happening either.

As I've said before, the only thing to do is to act - contact TLG one way or the other and raise your concerns.

The LDD website is down.

Just a temporary bug. The Lego club website was down earlier as well, but both sites are back up and running.

I'm going to hold out hope that Lego has just been holding the update until after Force Friday to avoid any potential leaks of the new Star Wars elements. Not only would that ideally mean that we'd get an update within the next week or two, but it would also probably suggest that said update would include parts from both the winter and summer sets this year.

If there's no update by next Monday, I might try sending customer service another email.

The LDD website is down.

This had most probably to do with their update to site's login script as many users were complaining about it for a long time, for example I was not able to log in like last 3+ hours but now it seems to be OK and working again.

Lego ID is still messed up. I tried to login on Ideas, which had been requiring me to login twice just to access My Dashboard. It still made me do that, but no login. The shop won't get past the login page. I doubt this has anything to do with LDD. I wonder if Lego employees are having login trouble as well.

God-Dammit! I already lost hope for an update looong time ago, so I'm not even dissapointed. I'm just... well, pretty pissed off, TLG, get your bricks together, and give us that awesome LDD update we've been waiting for so long, or I swear, I'll come down to Billund, and slap you... :damn:

Edited by Eggyslav

God-Dammit! I already lost hope for an update looong time ago, so I'm not even dissapointed. I'm just... well, pretty pissed off, TLG, get your bricks together, and give us that awesome LDD update we've been waiting for so long, or I swear, I'll come down to Billund, and slap you... :damn:

Do you mind if i join you in the slapping?

Do you mind if i join you in the slapping?

No, I don't mind at all, in fact, let's all invade Billund in no-LDD-Update-rage-induced slapfest..... :devil:

But seriously, I understand, that Lego has more lucrative things to do, than to make updates to a free software, but there really should be a LDD dev team in their ranks, that would care about it, and if there is, what are they doing? Certainly not their job to develop LDD... Also, TLG is a big company, no doubt, so they should know the basic economic rule of Demand and Supply. We, LDD users "demand" at least two LDD updates per year, in stable intervales, but TLG won't "supply" it. And it is very sad... :hmpf:

Or maybe, they aren't working on just a new brick set, they are developing LDD v. 5.0, with a whole lot of new bricks, and brand new features, compatible with Lego Worlds? Maybe that's why it takes such a long time? But that's just my wishful thinking/conspiracy theory, I'd rather think they just don't care about LDD anymore..... :cry_sad:

Edited by Eggyslav

No, I don't mind at all, in fact, let's all invade Billund in no-LDD-Update-rage-induced slapfest..... :devil:

But seriously, I understand, that Lego has more lucrative things to do, than to make updates to a free software, but there really should be a LDD dev team in their ranks, that would care about it, and if there is, what are they doing? Certainly not their job to develop LDD... Also, TLG is a big company, no doubt, so they should know the basic economic rule of Demand and Supply. We, LDD users "demand" at least two LDD updates per year, in stable intervales, but TLG won't "supply" it. And it is very sad... :hmpf:

Or maybe, they aren't working on just a new brick set, they are developing LDD v. 5.0, with a whole lot of new bricks, and brand new features, compatible with Lego Worlds? Maybe that's why it takes such a long time? But that's just my wishful thinking/conspiracy theory, I'd rather think they just don't care about LDD anymore..... :cry_sad:

Lets hope so.

Edited by Ordinareo

It just seems like there's been no update for too long. Like they probably have all the development staff shifted to Worlds and Dimensions, and that those will actually be viably lucrative endeavors, whereas LDD isn't monetized. They probably downgraded LDD's development and addition priority, but once they start generating profit off of Worlds and Dimensions, there will be less and less motivation to keep LDD up-to-date with parts.

It just seems like there's been no update for too long. Like they probably have all the development staff shifted to Worlds and Dimensions, and that those will actually be viably lucrative endeavors, whereas LDD isn't monetized. They probably downgraded LDD's development and addition priority, but once they start generating profit off of Worlds and Dimensions, there will be less and less motivation to keep LDD up-to-date with parts.

I just shed a tear. :cry_sad:

Frankly, I didn't expect LDD to update ON Force Friday in the first place. Lego's web team very likely had their hands full with all the other updates they'd need to implement for the shop, theme pages, etcetera. Updating LDD would probably be fairly low on the list of priorities, and could easily be held off until the start of the next work week on Monday (possibly Tuesday, if that kind of web work is done stateside, since it's Labor Day weekend over here).

If Force Friday WAS in fact what Lego was waiting for, I would expect an update within the next week. Otherwise, we probably just were holding out for yet another false hope.

Was just on the customer service site when I noticed this message:

In keeping with our founder’s motto, our LEGO® experts will be in training on September 3, and the North American call center will be closed from 10:45am - 12:30pm EST.

Please remember you can still order replacement parts or download building instructions from this page

Seems the customer service reps have received some sort of additional training. Has anyone attempted to contact them about LDD in the past two days on the off chance that they received new information (or at least new scripts) about the next LDD update?