minchellabrick

Future of LDD: Next Lego Digital Designer Update?

I wonder if there is some sort of petition we can create to keep LDD up to date.

That's a pretty good idea. :thumbup:

Not sure how it should be done though. Any ideas?

I don't think we need a Kickstarter or anything, we just REALLY need them to tell us if they are working on it or not.

couldn't the LDD team at TLG incorporate the LDraw brick and decorations database into LDD's db.lif.....that alone would be a massive and useful update without to much effort I'd imagine

not really....they can skip any brick and decoration that's already in LDD and only focus on those that aren't...image files for decorations would be fairly easy to adjust to the db.lif...it would just take time and be monotonous...I do it all the time myself...it get's boring but it's not hard...dedicate a day to it and you'd have most of it done....the 3D rendering is different but you could still use the 3D framework from LDraw in LDD as a base just adjust for size and clarity...again not to hard just monotonous...but a few weeks of monotonous would make it all work for LDD fairly easily and it would be a pretty good size LDD update

It will be sad that the Lego group do not continue with LDD,I have used it quite a bit myself.

Perhaps Eurobricks will need to conciser setting up a virtual stream/class to help out all you poor LDD users with learning LDraw. :laugh:

It will be sad that the Lego group do not continue with LDD,I have used it quite a bit myself.

Perhaps Eurobricks will need to conciser setting up a virtual stream/class to help out all you poor LDD users with learning LDraw. :laugh:

...or even better tell them to use LDCad, which is basically LDD for LDRAW - for me the beast and easiest LDRAW sw ever around! :wink:

...or even better tell them to use LDCad, which is basically LDD for LDRAW - for me the beast and easiest LDRAW sw ever around! :wink:

They would still need to use Ldraw if they wish to make instructions.

Because of LDD's lack of updates earlier this year i took up building in Mecabricks and i love it. The system works great and i learned to use vector graphics so i could add any decorations i'm missing. Still want new updates for LDD though.

Mecabricks is a masterpiece compared to LDD.

They would still need to use Ldraw if they wish to make instructions.

Ehm: LDCad is one of the 3D editors for LDRAW like MLCAD, so...yeah, they would of course just like with any other LDRAW editors (???) :look::laugh:

Edited by bublible

I meant MLcad,LDraw is just the parts library.

Yea, that is correct then, of course.

Let's stay on topic here guys and avoid the discussion about which is the best tool out of LDD, Ldraw or Mecabrick.

This topic is about LDD's future.

It's sad they decided this after the re-launch of Bionicle. We have to use old Hero Factory or Chi pieces and usually it isn't enough. The lack of gearbox is easy to do with some technic but they still barely look like what intended due to the texture being so different.

I myself have become a bit addicted to the software, and I have hoped it would continue. After all I have done and all the work I put in, there would be no way to update my files. :cry_sad: But, what everyone is forgetting is that their are still possibilities of bricks updates and other small things, so don't start the funerals yet. :wink:

Edited by monkeyjay2003

Got this reply after asking about the next LDD update on the LEGO facebook page.

Hi! We aim to release updates for new bricks and improvements of the software 1-2 times a year, but I have currently no update on when the next update will be yet..sorry..Please keep an eye on http://ldd.lego.com/sv-se/

Got this reply after asking about the next LDD update on the LEGO facebook page.

So somewhere in Fall/Winter time?

Edited by Ordinareo

I too am also hoping that LDD doesn't get the shaft... as somebody who doesn't have the space or money to maintain a loose brick collection, LDD is a valuable tool to me as it allows me to build and plan my MOC's, then buy the bricks I need for them. Even if they decided to make it a paid program purchasable through their online store, I'd have no qualms paying for it if they at least kept the brick libraries up to date.

But yes, I say that the brick updates this year are unusually absent so far, and nobody, not even LEGO themselves, seems to be able to explain why. And that really is my key point where my frustration lies: lack of information. Everybody at LEGO seems to be dragging their heels and looking at their feet about it. I for one am itching to get the new Bionicle parts, as I am involved in an LDD collab project and many of the new moulds would have been useful to have. And because I MOC primarily in Constraction, LDD is really my only option.

\LDD is a valuable tool to me as it allows me to build and plan my MOC's, then buy the bricks I need for them. Even if they decided to make it a paid program purchasable through their online store, I'd have no qualms paying for it if they at least kept the brick libraries up to date.

Seconded. I want the brick libraries updated and LDD to be compatible with the latest operating systems... Eventually, no update would mean I'd need a separate dinosaur computer to run it.

I for one am itching to get the new Bionicle parts, as I am involved in an LDD collab project and many of the new moulds would have been useful to have. And because I MOC primarily in Constraction, LDD is really my only option.

but the LDD is already missing most (even if there's a lot) of those parts. & I can understand why they wouldn't bother adding masks & stuff that's made in short burts.

but the LDD is already missing most (even if there's a lot) of those parts. & I can understand why they wouldn't bother adding masks & stuff that's made in short burts.

The ones it's missing tend to be older ones from the classic theme, which makes sense, because LDD tends to prioritize current or still-in-production parts. LDD has been VERY good about updating with parts from Hero Factory and Chima, if not always when they're released, then usually shortly afterward. I had hoped for that to continue with Bionicle, especially since functional elements like the new gearbox could have applications for all sorts of builders.

I agree with others that it'd be much easier to wait for LDD updates if not for the consistent lack of communication. There is basically no direct communication between the LDD team and fans, which leads to mass confusion when we get a vague or contradictory message from customer service or some other channel. If the LDD team would just keep some sort of brief development blog or the like, we'd be able to have a better idea of what's in the pipeline and how long we might have to wait for it.

I agree with others that it'd be much easier to wait for LDD updates if not for the consistent lack of communication. There is basically no direct communication between the LDD team and fans, which leads to mass confusion when we get a vague or contradictory message from customer service or some other channel. If the LDD team would just keep some sort of brief development blog or the like, we'd be able to have a better idea of what's in the pipeline and how long we might have to wait for it.

A simple twitter account for the LDD team to give official news on would be a simple and free way for LDD fans to kept up to date