minchellabrick

Future of LDD: Next Lego Digital Designer Update?

I must have started three or four threads like this too. :laugh:

Welcome to Eurobricks! LDD usually updates around March/April and September/October. The LDD team doesn't usually give a specific date.

You just have to be patient, keep an eye on LDD (which will automatically download any updates when it starts up) and be ready to celebrate like Christmas has come early when an update does appear :grin:

(Seriously, there are a few technic pins new this year I can't wait to use in my LDD creations...)

My hopes are always crushed when I enter one of these topics... people should use clearer titles.

As the person above me said, there are never fixed dates given out by the LDD team. But I think we won't have to wait much longer till the next update.

i do not think LDD will get updated anytime soon. from my understanding it was just a gimmick app meant for the Designed By Me service which has long been discontinued. so unless they are going to start a similar service again or find out ways of making money off this free app i am afraid LDD will just be abandonware:(

though with a patent filed for an app that lets one put in compatible connections into any model and the new interactive lego dimensions videogame system that puts built models be use din a videogame i can think of several ways LDD can be implemented yet again.

and i can see LDD be used as a prototyping app for lego ideas/cuuso, probably with editing features like custom decals so you can truly make original pitches.

but i am guessing not otherwise we would have had an update over the past 4 years.

The update is for sure a few weeks overdue compared to what has been the standard the past years. I don't have any information about the situation either. My tip is to contact LEGO Customer Services and ask; it can never hurt to let LEGO know there are a lot of us that appreciate and care about LDD.

i do not think LDD will get updated anytime soon. from my understanding it was just a gimmick app meant for the Designed By Me service which has long been discontinued. so unless they are going to start a similar service again or find out ways of making money off this free app i am afraid LDD will just be abandonware:(

though with a patent filed for an app that lets one put in compatible connections into any model and the new interactive lego dimensions videogame system that puts built models be use din a videogame i can think of several ways LDD can be implemented yet again.

and i can see LDD be used as a prototyping app for lego ideas/cuuso, probably with editing features like custom decals so you can truly make original pitches.

but i am guessing not otherwise we would have had an update over the past 4 years.

What?

The Design By Me service was discontinued three years ago or so, yet LDD has been recieving two or three updates (with usually around 50 of more new parts each) per years since then. I don't know where you get that it has been abandoned. The update is just taking a bit longer than expected. Not like it has been the first time, I remember the wait for the second one of 2012 seemed like an eternity to me (dat square HF armor piece tho)

I did give Lego a call today. The person I talked to did not know when the next update will happen But he also said that they haven't discontinued LDD yet either.

I guess we'll just have to be patient. I do go on LDD every day to check for an update. So if one happens on my end and it hasn't been posted already. I'll let you all know.

I was surprised nobody tried to make a topic on April fools about an update

The update is for sure a few weeks overdue compared to what has been the standard the past years. I don't have any information about the situation either. My tip is to contact LEGO Customer Services and ask; it can never hurt to let LEGO know there are a lot of us that appreciate and care about LDD.

This could off course also mean they are planning a bigger update (more new and old parts).

I emailed Customer Service (on Superkalle's suggestion) and the representative who emailed me back confirmed that an update is in the works and should be available soon, but could not share a specific date (probably for the best—no need to get people's hopes up in the event of a last-minute delay).

I was generally impressed by the promptness and thoroughness of the response to my specific question, so I'll probably start using email to contact customer service about things like this in the future.

I am betting that the update will include a few pieces from sets designed for a movie that has yet to be released. I haven't been on the SW page, so I don't know if there are any images of The Force Awakens sets yet. Lego just released official images of the SW large figures, which include recently designed pieces.

My current hope is that we will finally get the minidoll parts in LDD.

I am betting that the update will include a few pieces from sets designed for a movie that has yet to be released. I haven't been on the SW page, so I don't know if there are any images of The Force Awakens sets yet. Lego just released official images of the SW large figures, which include recently designed pieces.

My current hope is that we will finally get the minidoll parts in LDD.

I don't know if we can bet on the new update featuring parts from unreleased sets. Just because we've SEEN them is not a guarantee that they'll be available on the program. In fact it's almost always the case that we'll only get parts from currently available sets (and sometimes not even all of those). I doubt we'll see the Star Wars Constraction parts this time around, let alone the parts from the unseen Episode VII sets.

I share your hope for minidoll parts, though. Those things are long overdue, and hopefully the Elves theme will bump up their priority.

Please get this update out as soon as possible thanks

Patience, young padawan... :classic: All things come to those who wait

I haven't been on the SW page, so I don't know if there are any images of The Force Awakens sets yet.

The new star wars sets are being kept firmly under wraps, only a list of set numbers and prices is available, but I doubt they'll be including parts from these in a release - I have the impression the Star Wars sets won't be released until around September, but from the sound of things the LDD update will be soon-ish. Are there any other major franchises Lego have under wraps at the moment that could bring us new parts?

I think the next LDD update will come out in the next few hours.

How do you know???

I agree with NathanR -

I think the next LDD update will come out in the next few hours.

Please don't post wild guesses. Or back up them up with some facts.

This is a forum for AFOLS (Adult fans of LEGO) - please respect that.

Thanks.

I was surprised nobody tried to make a topic on April fools about an update

Thanks for the idea!

It was this week last year that the Spring LDD update came out. It should be the same this year.

It seems to vary. It's updated in March several times before, for instance.

Just rang TLG about the next LDD update. They do not have a clue when it is out shame.

They've already been emailed, and gave the same response, as per Lyicher's earlier post in this very thread.

If I were TLG I'd be highly tempted to delay the release of the update, purely so as to teach certain users about the benefits of having a sense of patience...

They've already been emailed, and gave the same response, as per Lyicher's earlier post in this very thread.

If I were TLG I'd be highly tempted to delay the release of the update, purely so as to teach certain users about the benefits of having a sense of patience...

Amen.