Sign in to follow this  
Captain Fortune

Custom pirate catalog scans

Maybe some fo you have seen this thread, Early 90s Lego Pirate Scans: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=45921

I do know that here we love that old catalogs, showing these pirate adventures with the new sets and real landscapes. So, I just thought that we could upload on this thread our custom pirate scans, following the 90s catalog style. Use your sets, your figures, and mostly, your imagination. In fact, I'm sure that some users, very used with the pictorical reviews, can do a great job in here!

I will try with an experiment. It could be better, but it's a start.

A combined double attack from the Bluecoats and the Redcoats against The Brick Bounty. The Pirates are in troubles!

pirates1.jpg

Edited by Captain Fortune

I miss the old artwork from the '80s and '90s. It would be awesome if we had access to high resolution photos of their backdrops.

Oh, and it's pretty sad that the pirates are so helpless that they've resorted to trying to get away on that crappy little raft. pirate_laugh_new.gif

Edited by jodawill

The early Pirate catalogue pictures were the most beautiful advertisements for toys I have ever seen, and possibly a large reason for my strong nostalgia for them.

Lego_Pirates.jpeg

Look at that. It's not an advertisement, it's a work of art. Right down to the silhouettes of the gunman on the sails! The golden hues of sunset! These images don't just sell the toys, they actually make them come alive.

Anyway. It has long been a goal of mine to recreate these Lego Pirate photographs, right down to the physical sets they built, and I welcome anyone else who wants to do the same. pirate_laugh2.gif (Although I guess the physical sets can be photoshopped in...)

Edited by David Thomsen

Great initiative and photo, Captain Fortune!!!! I'd like to see more!!!

Ah, I really miss that old battle from 90's catalogues. If you or someone else, put a tutorial of making that pics, I'd make some cool photos

I think if you can get the water to look real you'd really be onto something. I loved the old catalogue scenes for pirates, castle & even space themes. As has been said already, it really made the Lego come alive.

I will try with an experiment. It could be better, but it's a start.

One of the thing that really sells inserting physical LEGO into a CGI environment is the environmental effects.

The LEGO isn't casting a shadow nor does the reflection on the water look right. That's too areas you could strive to improve.

The golden hues of sunset! These images don't just sell the toys, they actually make them come alive.35.gif

Edited by moegoglkd