SkaForHire

Brethren of the Brick Seas Poll

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which faction do you have an interest in joining - THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO JOIN THIS FACTION WHEN THE PROJECT LAUNCHES

• Eslandola
    • Corrington
    • Oleon
    • Sea Rats / Pirates
    • I hope this project does not go through.

Oh, I fully understand that the colors don't have anything to do with real countries. I was just explaining my own rationale. Regardless of historic association or (in this case) the lack thereof, a particular faction just "felt right" so that's how I voted. But on the subject of historic reference I think we all know that the limitations are mostly the exclusion of real countries and politics, right? For example, the level of technology will be based on the actual technology of the general time period and ships will look like historically correct vessels even if we aren't replicating actual history if I'm not mistaken. The same goes for minifig dress: there will be lots of room for improvisation but the general look will be colonial-era in nature (i.e. no women in bikinis). In truth it seems that real historic references could appear throughout the project without even touching the issues of real nationalities, politics, religion, economics etc. Basiliscus, you explained it pretty well and for anyone with lingering questions I think it's safe to say that they'll be answered in due time. I hope I'm not out of place by saying all this and if I am I apologize in advance.

Oh, I fully understand that the colors don't have anything to do with real countries. I was just explaining my own rationale. Regardless of historic association or (in this case) the lack thereof, a particular faction just "felt right" so that's how I voted. But on the subject of historic reference I think we all know that the limitations are mostly the exclusion of real countries and politics, right? For example, the level of technology will be based on the actual technology of the general time period and ships will look like historically correct vessels even if we aren't replicating actual history if I'm not mistaken. The same goes for minifig dress: there will be lots of room for improvisation but the general look will be colonial-era in nature (i.e. no women in bikinis). In truth it seems that real historic references could appear throughout the project without even touching the issues of real nationalities, politics, religion, economics etc. Basiliscus, you explained it pretty well and for anyone with lingering questions I think it's safe to say that they'll be answered in due time. I hope I'm not out of place by saying all this and if I am I apologize in advance.

I thought that was the case - I'm totally fine with people making historical colour comparisons to choose their factions, it's just I'd rather avoid people then playing like that once the game commences.

You are of course correct regarding the historical limitation of technology, dress and politics. These will be emulated sensibly within the RPG elements of the game and hopefully the players will stick to the era. I will say that fantasy elements are permitted (think PotC) but they will probably be limited by local science level, i.e. the old world will probably have fewer fantasy elements, where newly discovered islands may have more fantasy elements reflecting the lack of local scientific understanding. This is again something that needs to be better defined.

Finally, there is no need to apologise for asking questions...I realise things seem to be moving at a glacial pace but they are moving and more information will be forthcoming as soon as it is agreed.

I'd suggest eager players begin to think about what factions they want to join, think about who their character is and their backstory. Then you'll be ready to join as soon as the game is released!

These are great news and thanks very much for the introductionary explanation. In fact, I wanted to ask most of these questions myself :)

Well then, time to gather a crew and look through the log book to derive the character. I assume there will be faction-ranks as well once this project is running?

Basiliscus, THANK YOU, that introductory explanation was perfect, and I think what a lot of us here were wondering about. I feel some of us were afraid to ask, understandably because of not wanting to look foolish. I however, really want to be involved in this, and I want to know "whats up". I think now knowing some fundamental rules will allow MANY of us to proceed further, and get involved. I now know what type of character I want to try to create, especially now knowing how IMPORTANT he will be. Knowing the BASIC mechanics to something like this cannot be more stressed. It makes new and undecided players more apt to get involved and want to join.

I would like to ask for you guys in the "know" to PLEASE continue to give us info. Remember, nothing is too trivial, that small bit of info may just answer someones question who will now join. Also maybe every so often re-post, or re-say, those introductory rules, I guarantee it will get newer members here, and involved.

You did BotB's a great service by just that general info, thanks.

Edited by Dunedain

These are great news and thanks very much for the introductionary explanation. In fact, I wanted to ask most of these questions myself :)

Well then, time to gather a crew and look through the log book to derive the character. I assume there will be faction-ranks as well once this project is running?

No problem! pirate_laugh2.gif We've not completely defined how ranks will play out, but it's not likely to be too detailed. What I mean is that, your character can be any sensible rank (e.g. using the table on the right as a guide, anything up to and including commodore/brigadier), as these will not be explicitly modelled. That means during your character introduction, "Major John Doe" (as an example) is perfectly acceptable. Being a lower rank, e.g. private or equivalent, is perfectly fine too, and exploring your character as he/she advances up the ranks could be a good way of showing other players your character story! However, some ranks, such as admiral/general, will probably be assigned through voting or scoring (exact mechanism to be defined), as these will have special effects.

Basiliscus, THANK YOU, that introductory explanation was perfect, and I think what a lot of us here were wondering about. I feel some of us were afraid to ask, understandably because of not wanting to look foolish. I however, really want to be involved in this, and I want to know "whats up". I think now knowing some fundamental rules will allow MANY of us to proceed further, and get involved. I now know what type of character I want to try to create, especially now knowing how IMPORTANT he will be. Knowing the BASIC mechanics to something like this cannot be more stressed. It makes new and undecided players more apt to get involved and want to join.

I would like to ask for you guys in the "know" to PLEASE continue to give us info. Remember, nothing is too trivial, that small bit of info may just answer someones question who will now join. Also maybe every so often re-post, or re-say, those introductory rules, I guarantee it will get newer members here, and involved.

You did BotB's a great service by just that general info, thanks.

No problem. Feel free to ask questions at this time, but bear in mind that answers I give are only preliminary, and could change in the final agreed version of the rules. I know how it feels to appear to be in the dark about things and I don't want any early enthusiasm to be lost if it takes 3 months to release the game proper.

Whilst I am "in the know" I should point out that I am not volunteering for faction leadership (there are others that are though) so I have limited influence over driving the game forward. Think of me more as a special advisor!

I'll try and update periodically (say, every 2 weeks) so that everyone can see that something is going on!

If everyone remains patient then I think it will be worth the wait...! pirate_wink.gif

For the above answer of being able to start out at a high rank, here's a question on that: Since I want to be an Islander, I assume I should start out at say a warrior or a townsperson rather than the king? :kahuka: Like, I'd have to work my way up to a 'higher' position if we have an XP type thing. Just so I don't feel waaay overpowered, because starting as a king seems to be a bit awkward because of the 'power' a king has. And also, updates every two weeks sounds good to me!

~Beltar

For the above answer of being able to start out at a high rank, here's a question on that: Since I want to be an Islander, I assume I should start out at say a warrior or a townsperson rather than the king? :kahuka: Like, I'd have to work my way up to a 'higher' position if we have an XP type thing. Just so I don't feel waaay overpowered, because starting as a king seems to be a bit awkward because of the 'power' a king has. And also, updates every two weeks sounds good to me!

~Beltar

Well, here's the thing...natives are non-playable at the moment. I know some of you will be disappointed by this (myself included), however, I think it will hard enough to manage four factions without a fifth there too. Natives will be involved in the story as NPCs, so there'll be plenty of opportunity to build them, but for the moment I'd go for characters associated with the four factions previously mentioned.

Do rafts count as ships?

Can you give me more context to your question? What do you mean by "count"?

Well, here's the thing...natives are non-playable at the moment. I know some of you will be disappointed by this (myself included), however, I think it will hard enough to manage four factions without a fifth there too. Natives will be involved in the story as NPCs, so there'll be plenty of opportunity to build them, but for the moment I'd go for characters associated with the four factions previously mentioned.

Perhaps it wouldn't make the best faction, but you can still make Native characters to be in your stories and freebuilds, just not as main character. They can be traders, friends, allies, enemies, etc to your character, and will most likely pop up a lot. I still, however, support it as a faction, if there is any chance of it becoming one.

Awwwwwww..... :pir-cry_sad: Looks like Eslandola for me then...

Perhaps it wouldn't make the best faction, but you can still make Native characters to be in your stories and freebuilds, just not as main character. They can be traders, friends, allies, enemies, etc to your character, and will most likely pop up a lot. I still, however, support it as a faction, if there is any chance of it becoming one.

^

With Eslandola, at least with that I can interact with them for freebuilds and challenges, as said above, thats fine I guess. So I'll be heading down that route to trade, be an ally, etc. So I guess that solves it, however if they do become a faction...Count me in!

~Beltar

Awwwwwww..... :pir-cry_sad: Looks like Eslandola for me then...

^

With Eslandola, at least with that I can interact with them for freebuilds and challenges, as said above, thats fine I guess. So I'll be heading down that route to trade, be an ally, etc. So I guess that solves it, however if they do become a faction...Count me in!

~Beltar

I always thought the "greencoats" were rather the more agressive with the natives. I mean, it's everyone's choice to do what in their freebuilds and challenges, so for you, I'd be a good faction for you, I guess (Eslandola being a trading empire), and it is your choice to ally or to fight the natives, as is everyone else's choice. pir_wacko.gif

By count I mean can a large raft be considered a ship?

Which category do smugglers fall under? Would they be pirates, or a new faction? They aren't really pirates, but they aren't any of the other factions either!

Remember all pirates are technically smugglers... well unless they were terribly unsuccessful.

BAS has done a great job as shepherd here. I will add that you can have "crew" or associated characters around your signature figure (sigfig), and the sigfig does not have to be in every MOC or story.

Remember all pirates are technically smugglers... well unless they were terribly unsuccessful.

BAS has done a great job as shepherd here. I will add that you can have "crew" or associated characters around your signature figure (sigfig), and the sigfig does not have to be in every MOC or story.

But can you have only one "main" character, or several???

SkaForHire, thank you for that last post. The fact that "the sigfig does not have to be in every MOC or story" should expand the creative process substantially.

But can you have only one "main" character, or several???

Well, you have one main character, your siggy. But that doesn't mean you don't have other important characters in your stories.

For example, my main character will be the governor of a city, my second character will be the captain of a ship, my third character will be a privateer, ... .

So some of my MOC's will be my main seeing people in my city or negotatiating, other MOC's will be about the captain on the sea or the privateer plundering or ...

Let's say it this way:

the main character is responsible for all your other characters and is the connection between your stories and the faction you choose.

Well, you have one main character, your siggy. But that doesn't mean you don't have other important characters in your stories.

For example, my main character will be the governor of a city, my second character will be the captain of a ship, my third character will be a privateer, ... .

So some of my MOC's will be my main seeing people in my city or negotatiating, other MOC's will be about the captain on the sea or the privateer plundering or ...

Let's say it this way:

the main character is responsible for all your other characters and is the connection between your stories and the faction you choose.

Ah, yes. My understanding is also that your sigfig doesn't have to be in every freebuild?

Ah, yes. My understanding is also that your sigfig doesn't have to be in every freebuild?

Indeed :)

You can for example build a rake of an unnamed empire spying in your city/ship and your soldiers catching him :)

Or like earlier said, you can recreate a famous battle fought 100 years ago (but still in our imaginary world)

Indeed :)

You can for example build a rake of an unnamed empire spying in your city/ship and your soldiers catching him :)

Or like earlier said, you can recreate a famous battle fought 100 years ago (but still in our imaginary world)

Excellent! I look forward to doing this.

I voted for Eslandola.

While I am not particularly a fan of the "Green Coats" I felt it was the best faction to mix my entire pirate collection since I could weave a trade theme between them all.

It is true I can see the different colors of soldiers in my collection as different countries, But I more often viewed them as a single force against the Pirates (Ex: Red/artillery and Blue/marines). This made picking one over the other difficult!

For now, I'm choosing Eslandonia. Although, I can foresee greenies smuggling with blue, red, and pirates. Reds and blues may not like it very much when they find out.