SkaForHire

Brethren of the Brick Seas Poll

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which faction do you have an interest in joining - THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO JOIN THIS FACTION WHEN THE PROJECT LAUNCHES

• Eslandola
    • Corrington
    • Oleon
    • Sea Rats / Pirates
    • I hope this project does not go through.

SkaForHire, you are making things difficult for me.

Initially I thought that Eslandola could be interesting, but "merchants" are not so fascinating. And I understand that this is not the place for the good old Spanish guys. And some people allegedly don't like morions. :pir-look:

So, science, navigation and fast ships are the next great thing on the list. Sadly, they are linked to the wrong colour. :pir-cry_sad:

This means I'll have to settle with fortresses and warships - which is good - but combined with faith (= the blueish inquisition???) it seems a bit strange. :pir_wacko:

Pirates? I am more of a "regular army type of person". :pir-sceptic:

So what shall I do? Go for colour preference = blue.

But it would be great to work with Maxim I on a joint topic...

And where will I be able to include monkeys? monkey.gif

Long story short: I am a bit lost, but I would like the project to go through. :pir-grin:

CB, don't worry too much. Eslandola will be alright for you... and all the monkeys at your command! So if you want troopers with morions, just figure them as your own militia, that values tradition! Generally speaking, Eslandola's gonna be a rather liberal and diverse place, you moc up what you feel like and think it 'feels' eslandolian, and add the proper flag! This of course goes for all factions, just take example in GoH.

My hope is that Eslandola is not strictly influenced by the Spanish-inspired Imperial Armada, but gives us the flexibiliy to explore something inspired by the golden age of Dutch traders. Perhaps the local militia at a trading post might sport this look:

buffcoats2.jpg

(Note the morion.) And perhaps the frontier trading post is on an island that allows the agents of Eslandola to trade for monkey pelts from the natives! I think there are a lot of ways to make merchants interesting.

And skewing toward the 17th century, some chaps from Corrington might look like this:

17th_c_redcoat.jpg

My point is, I'd certainly hope that there's enough flexibility in BoBS for us to explore different esthetics in the factions.

Flexibility is key! Just look at GoH.

Great minifigs, btw!! :pir-wub:

A note to everyone; there's just too much historical comparison going on for my taste, so I had to jump in. BoBS will be a fictional world with little pirate appropriate fantasy. There will be no Dutch, Brits, French nor Spanish guys jumping around. Therefor also the majority of torsos are allright. I have no problem with the Indiana Jones soldiers someone already used despite the stars used on the belts. So what, that's how the pirate era developed in our made up universe. And yes, you can use shakos or morions in every faction if you so desire. The fact I'm not too fond of the morion on the greencoats is that it looks very army oriented, whilst that faction is more of the traders. But more then the Spanish / Dutch traders I prefer to imagine them like Arabic or Indian traders or more like the Kaliphlin guild. Yet still it's all up to the leaders where they'll take this faction ... Of course they have the armies too but for me they are not necessarily sporting green. Green is more a color of the flag and we chose it for having the third best (after red and blue) torso options for that era. Maybe they should just be yellow instead?

After all if you still have a problem with all these shenanigans about the torsos or historical connections, come and join the best faction there is - Pirates! Savvy?

Edit: How come noone wishes this project doesn't go throuh?! ;)

What the Master says.

Don't get too fixed on colors! Sure, they have to 'feel' right, but that doesn't make certain factions possess certain colors. Building style and the focus you like best are more 'important', but also not limiting. Eslandola for example will be profit oriented. Why fight if you can trade? Rather enjoy the good life. But when push comes to shove, they will fight, with battleships and armies. And they will field all kinds of militia, so you can experiment with 'neutral' torsos, and add arms and legs in colors you deem right (as Capt Wolf did in an above post). So if you like them pink, have them pink (but be sure they would be laughed at on the battlefields... and elsewhere!) :pir-wink:

I still am undecided as to what faction I would ultimately like to join, but that being said, the more I read about Eslandola, the more I like them. What I like is that there is a ton of flexibility in that faction. If its militia based, then the uniforms can be very imaginative. Some militia uniforms could even be Red or Bluecoats that defected or just fight for the highest price. Usually in history and life, money means power. If the Eslandola faction is full of wealthy and powerful merchants and leaders, they could realistically build huge war ships and grand armies and militias. They could have a "strangle" hold on certain trading routes or even rare specific goods. This would put them at odds, perhaps, with the other factions, including Pirates, with whom they may even at sometimes align with too.

A "greencoat" army or militia, may not have any actual green colored uniforms, but instead could be a mix of Pirate, bluecoat, redcoat, and random uniforms. A hodge podge of mercenaries, in many colors, all fighting for gold. Perhaps just the flags and officers would be in green, or an elite faction of the militia.

Edited by Dunedain

It is dark tan, and it's the Star Wars Crix Madine torso (although I've erased a badge on his chest).

I ordered a few of these - how did you erase the badge?

And on another note, the thought of a "blueish inquisition" still sticks in my head. That could actually work out quite well pirate_laugh2.gif

(You just need those comfy chairs, etc.)

I ordered a few of these - how did you erase the badge?

Brasso and a Q-tip. You have to be careful not to erase part of the collar, but it's not that hard. Only took me a few minutes to get it.

Awww. Islanders are not in the options pirate_cry4.gif . Is there a possibility to be one?pirate_laugh_new.gif If not then I'd have to go with Corrington, but I'd really like to be an Islander...

~Beltar

It is dark tan, and it's the Star Wars Crix Madine torso (although I've erased a badge on his chest). It was the best thing I could come up with to do some Thirty Years War era soldiers. If you like your pirates more 1600s than 1700s, it works pretty well, I think.

Thank you!

Awww. Islanders are not in the options pirate_cry4.gif . Is there a possibility to be one?pirate_laugh_new.gif If not then I'd have to go with Corrington, but I'd really like to be an Islander...

~Beltar

You can be anything you want, you only need to be aligned to one if the 4 groups. Your islanders can work together with Eslandola for example by trading with them and supporting them :)

You can be anything you want, you only need to be aligned to one if the 4 groups. Your islanders can work together with Eslandola for example by trading with them and supporting them :)

I am really looking forward to this project!!! I am playing Empire Total War again lately pirate_laugh_new.gif

It would be cool to see Eslandola more of Alliance of minor nations (or a mothercountry and her protectorates). It would explain the low number of greencoats and the players who choose for Eslandola can create whatever coat they want.

It would bring a lot more diversity and nations into our imaginary world, without messing too much with the system the leaders are setting up atm.

So also Islanders and monkeylovers can have their own tribe/nation and be protected by Eslandola for example pirate_satisfied.gif

I voted Oleon. But I'm not too thrilled about the names of the factions. What is the reasoning behind them and what do they mean? I like to call the Bluecoats "Brique-France" and the Redcoats "Brick-Britain/England". But those are really bad as well...

It's hard to choose between Blue and Red though... And Pirates. I can include them all anyways. Whenever I get the time and bricks to make any MOCs. The problem is that I want to build on a pretty big scale, and I have very few white and tan bricks. And I need white and tan. I also have very few palm trees and tropical foliage.

EDIT: I should get some Islanders as well... Could show the darker sides of the Reds or Blues by enslaving them. But I guess that's a topic that should stay out of the lego world?

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

I voted Oleon. But I'm not too thrilled about the names of the factions. What is the reasoning behind them and what do they mean? I like to call the Bluecoats "Brique-France" and the Redcoats "Brick-Britain/England". But those are really bad as well...

It's hard to choose between Blue and Red though... And Pirates. I can include them all anyways. Whenever I get the time and bricks to make any MOCs. The problem is that I want to build on a pretty big scale, and I have very few white and tan bricks. And I need white and tan. I also have very few palm trees and tropical foliage.

EDIT: I should get some Islanders as well... Could show the darker sides of the Reds or Blues by enslaving them. But I guess that's a topic that should stay out of the lego world?

Slavery is a difficult topic. It was a part of the economy back then. Most games that are situated back then are leaving this aspect out of their game. The only way I could see this acceptable is when we agree to use only yellow minifigs in our world (so there are no different races).

And the names are really good. It is an imaginary world so all relations to the real world should be left out.

Well, historically speaking, the French were much better with native tribes that the British. It's one of the reasons that I originally thought of siding with Oleon, but we'll see how islanders/natives get integrated into the final project. PS, I dont think we should avoid it totally. No need to sanitize colonialism lol.

Well, historically speaking, the French were much better with native tribes that the British. It's one of the reasons that I originally thought of siding with Oleon, but we'll see how islanders/natives get integrated into the final project. PS, I dont think we should avoid it totally. No need to sanitize colonialism lol.

Yeah, I don't think there's any reason to make colonialism seem better than it is. I only own and like yellow figs anyway. Well, I have some fleshies... But it just doesn't feel like lego.

The French were "better" to the natives in America, but "worse" than the British in Africa I think. I guess it would be difficult making a MOC where one side rescues a slave ship or something, if the other side don't want their guys to be slave traders. Could have some rogue Eslandola merchants, haha. But with these Imperial nations, there will be dark stuff like slavery, poor conditions for workers, etc. The beginnings of the industrial revolution and such.

Sorry for speaking about real world history now. : P

I've already started building a town for my bluecoats. That could be their home port. It will have the name "Puerto del Lobo" (from the 1997 game "Claw")... But I guess a French name might suit them better.

Yeah, I don't think there's any reason to make colonialism seem better than it is. I only own and like yellow figs anyway. Well, I have some fleshies... But it just doesn't feel like lego.

The French were "better" to the natives in America, but "worse" than the British in Africa I think. I guess it would be difficult making a MOC where one side rescues a slave ship or something, if the other side don't want their guys to be slave traders. Could have some rogue Eslandola merchants, haha. But with these Imperial nations, there will be dark stuff like slavery, poor conditions for workers, etc. The beginnings of the industrial revolution and such.

Sorry for speaking about real world history now. : P

I too only use yellow, so no worry on that front for me. I intend to have very diverse crews, even if others cant tell pir_laugh2.gif

You're probably right! I study a lot of North American history, so I didn't even think of Africa at first. Yeah turns out no matter which way you turn, things don't look great :/

I'm trying to divorce myself from the real history. I really dislike colonial Britain, but I prefer Corrington's description to the rest. I may have to bite the bullet and pull on my red coat when the time comes. Who knows though, I might try to set up a band of rebels who break off from Corrington politically :pir-wink: . I'm only kidding of course, that wouldn't be in the spirit of the game.

I too only use yellow, so no worry on that front for me. I intend to have very diverse crews, even if others cant tell pir_laugh2.gif

You're probably right! I study a lot of North American history, so I didn't even think of Africa at first. Yeah turns out no matter which way you turn, things don't look great :/

I'm trying to divorce myself from the real history. I really dislike colonial Britain, but I prefer Corrington's description to the rest. I may have to bite the bullet and pull on my red coat when the time comes. Who knows though, I might try to set up a band of rebels who break off from Corrington politically :pir-wink: . I'm only kidding of course, that wouldn't be in the spirit of the game.

Hehe, trying to start a rebellion, are we? I don't really like the "faith" part of Oleon as I am a heathen. But I guess they should have a church-like institution, which resembles "insert name of institutionalised religion here". Would be great if they have a cardinal who is scheming against the king/emperor. :)

Corrington, definitely. I can see myself in Corrington as an Enlightenment scientist with a dark red jacket and tall beaver hat.

Hehe, trying to start a rebellion, are we? I don't really like the "faith" part of Oleon as I am a heathen. But I guess they should have a church-like institution, which resembles "insert name of institutionalised religion here". Would be great if they have a cardinal who is scheming against the king/emperor. :)

In the forum we have discussed that faith may also be translated as "myth" or a more welcoming attitude to the unknown. We don't really want to bring actual religions in, just fake ones.

Wow... Oleon took off. I thought there were more redcoats out there! haha

Wow... Oleon took off. I thought there were more redcoats out there! haha

I did too. think it's because of the fortresses and big ships in the description for Oleon and missing from the Corrington description. Even though Corrington will have fortresses and big ships too, I think the presence or absence of those words in the descriptions has had a powerful effect.

Edited by Capt Wolf

With a hii hii hoo and a hii hii hey!

We're hoisting the flag to be free

We will steal the show, Jolly Rogers crew

We are wolves of the sea

I will join the wolves of the sea aka. pirates

Slavery is a difficult topic. It was a part of the economy back then. Most games that are situated back then are leaving this aspect out of their game. The only way I could see this acceptable is when we agree to use only yellow minifigs in our world (so there are no different races).

And the names are really good. It is an imaginary world so all relations to the real world should be left out.

Agreed on both counts. Personally, I'm OK with limited depictions of slavery provided there is no clear race aspect, i.e. an islander tribe enslaves their captives regardless of skin colour. Trying to model the African slave trade in this game would be best avoided.

I like the imaginary names. As Maxim I says, they are imaginary nations, and it's worth remembering that! Just like the slaves issue, it's best trying to avoid linking Britain/France/Spain to the imperial powers because this adds an emotional involvement to the game that is best avoided.

Hmm. I guess your reasoning is good. I as a Swede don't really have any personal emotions to that era. Some people might have. All my ancestors from that time were fishermen or farmers, apart from one who was a royal privateer.

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

Eslandola of course, I just want to build mediterranean style for a while since I'm not doing that much in GoH beig Mitgardian there. As for the morion, it's not that I dislike them per se, it's just that they don't fit the time frame and because I already use them in the GoH world.

Hmm. I guess your reasoning is good. I as a Swede don't really have any personal emotions to that era. Some people might have. All my ancestors from that time were fishermen or farmers, apart from one who was a royal privateer.

You are Swedish huh? :) I am going to brick your vessel "the Gotheburg" and use it as my flagship :)

Btw I am also playing with Sweden in Empire Total War :p

@Basiliscus: indeed!

@Kabel:

I will try to avoid the morons, except for bodyguards :)

You are Swedish huh? :) I am going to brick your vessel "the Gotheburg" and use it as my flagship :)

Btw I am also playing with Sweden in Empire Total War :p

I've seen the Götheborg reconstruction many times when she lies to port in Gothenburg. ;) She is a beauty. One of my ancestors rowed out to the ship and looted it when it sank, haha. The shame of his looting apparently lived on for a few generations.