Adamskii

Train storage systems? How do you store or display your spares?

16 hours ago, Dan-147 said:

Just document your build with LDraw, LDD or Stud.io so you can rebuild it after.

For those that build with a digital program that might work. Not all of us do though, and tracking down all the parts strewn across the floor gets old quick. So does spending hours rebuilding the thing every day. Just because it's "supposed to be a kids toy" doesn't mean everyone sees it that way or wants their best builds smashed repeatedly. 

4 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Has anybody experience with long term storage of LEGO trains on their own axles?

I've not had issues with this, and mine are all long, heavy 8-wide. I keep a layer of bubble wrap under them and on the sides, which actually might help support it by the low parts between the trucks.

On 5/13/2017 at 11:52 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

Part of my problem is that my wife has her friend over a lot, with a three year old daughter that enjoys pulling them off the shelf and smashing them. 

That's a problem with parenting, not with your shelf.

4 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Has anybody experience with long term storage of LEGO trains on their own axles? I'm worrying about damage to the axles (be it old metal axles or newer Technic ones) in the long run, bending and such... or is this a non-issue?

From my experience that's an absolute non-issue. Unless you're putting kilo's of weight in your trains and even then I'd be more worried about the wheels than the axles.

19 hours ago, Duq said:

That's a problem with parenting, not with your shelf.

I think that is very true. My little cousins will smash just about any train I own be it ho lego or n. Rip emerald night. I lock them in a room just for trains and keep the only key on me at all times.

That's fixing the symptom, not the cause. Easiest solution for you though, not being the parent of the little brat.

Long term solution should be teaching the kid what he or she can and cannot smash.

Parents often amaze me at events and rarely in a good way. Some tell the kids they can't touch things and then pick up a car or train themselves, some happily watch as their kids play with minifigs on the display, try and grab or derail trains, and some parents dump the kids at the Lego display and don't care what they do at all.

5 minutes ago, Duq said:

That's fixing the symptom, not the cause. Easiest solution for you though, not being the parent of the little brat.

Long term solution should be teaching the kid what he or she can and cannot smash.

Parents often amaze me at events and rarely in a good way. Some tell the kids they can't touch things and then pick up a car or train themselves, some happily watch as their kids play with minifigs on the display, try and grab or derail trains, and some parents dump the kids at the Lego display and don't care what they do at all.

Their parents don't care what they do. They are brats. They keep begging me for my ho trains. They punch me when I say no.

8 hours ago, TCRR Constitution said:

Their parents don't care what they do. They are brats. They keep begging me for my ho trains. They punch me when I say no.

Don't invite the parents over?

Hello Bjorkan,

where did you order them?

On 27.1.2016 at 3:38 PM, bjorkan said:

Finally my Lego Train Display is finished and I now can clearly see all trains. The only problem is that there is not enough place, will have to order another one :wink: m.

800x600.jpg

(the same photo in hi-res)

On 13/05/2017 at 11:57 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

Which plastic storage box do you use?

Since I'm in Australia this may or may not be very useful but I use Starmaid boxes. They are currently stocked by Big W, but were stocked at Woolworths supermarkets for a couple of years. I'd imagine there are similar boxes in most markets, just chose an appropriate size for your trains. I really like boxes which only take one layer of trains; it's easy to remove exactly the one you want.