legoman666

CSX GE EMD AC4400CW 7 wide, now in dark blue! WIP

This locomotive has been planned for a long time, but I never started construction until a few days ago due to my lack of parts in dark blue. I had been slowly accumulating pieces for many months and I finally decided it was time to start. It is meant to be paired with my first CSX locomotive, as it is the same model, but it will not be identical. For reference, here is the original:

vLTy5LBm.jpg0pF7Ksim.jpg

I've been taking photos as I go along.

17011432636_5ee920966c_b.jpg

I like to start with the hardest parts first.

16417272933_4916b3362d_b.jpg

Those small brackets make this easier.

17036571461_9908e180cd_b.jpg

Need to visit the LUG's HQ to grab some pieces. I'm out of yellow cheese.

16414994494_40d838288c_b.jpg

Also out of 1x1 dark blue tile.

16414993214_147f7bdf63_b.jpg

17037422225_4e733a7019_b.jpg

Had trouble with this part.

16851200319_61a6e93fbe_b.jpg

I think I matched every angle and offset in the prototype (#61).

16851198089_f989d85ee4_b.jpg

I made a "purchase" from the LUG HQ. The currency accepted is straight 9V track.

17037417265_2b9365a6fc_b.jpg

Looks better with the holes filled in.

16861645158_b2df342080_b.jpg

Need some damn 2x3 wedge plates in dark blue!

16861643358_27d9b6ac41_b.jpg

Angled and sloped windshield, a first for me. Held in place by pressure.

16426980844_b6ab029777_b.jpg

Top of the hood was more difficult without 2x3 wedge plates in dark blue (they don't exist), but I think I made it work.

16426979304_ab057fe0ff_b.jpg

Some cheating going on to get this photo, need some pieces in dark blue that don't exist yet.

17048591761_e850700abe_b.jpg

Happy with the back so far, but stumped on the top grill.

For reference, here is the prototype:

zMGZhW7h.jpg

4xgud3wh.jpg

That's all for now. Out of town for the week.

I'm totally stealing that windscreen design. I'll probably steal some other design elements, there's some real fancy stuff going on here!

This machine is The Real Beauty, it is third time this morning I am looking at it :thumbup:

The windscreen makes it look very nice. It's great to see how you captured all these angels on the nose of the locomotive. However the top grill looks a bit to wide for me, maybe 8 wide would be enough.

The windscreen makes it look very nice. It's great to see how you captured all these angels on the nose of the locomotive. However the top grill looks a bit to wide for me, maybe 8 wide would be enough.

Thanks! An 8w grill would be difficult to center on the 7w body, which is why it ended up 9. I'll look in to it, but in order to implement it I would have to rebuild the rear.

I'm totally stealing that windscreen design. I'll probably steal some other design elements, there's some real fancy stuff going on here!

Be my guest! It'll be easier to finish with the 2x3 wedge plates that are available in most colors. I had to do weird things with jumpers and tile that are 'illegal', and I'm not entirely happy with it.

Edited by legoman666

This is a beautiful model with lots of nice detail. You have done an excellent job capturing the look of that CSX livery.

It'll be easier to finish with the 2x3 wedge plates that are available in most colors. I had to do weird things with jumpers and tile that are 'illegal', and I'm not entirely happy with it.

I am very thankful that 2X4 wedge plates are available in the appropriate color for my latest build, but I really think that your solution looks better than what I am about to build on the back of my locomotive.

And having built a couple of models with Technic beam/liftarm construction then finished the model with a covering of System parts, I am thoroughly comfortable with illegal part combinations using jumpers and various hinge pieces. As long as I have proper clutch holding things together and no "gravity" connections, I am fine.

Be my guest!

Here's my first attempt (I used the 1 x 1 x 1 Corner panel piece):

sloping_window1.jpg

sloping_window2.jpg

Edited by pirzyk

That's a really good design. I'll have to try that out, maybe try to build it legal with some hinges and SNOT plates. The funny thing is, I just saw a BNSF consist of 4 EMD AC4400CW and about 100 TTX Intermodal cars a few days ago. Can't wait to try this.

Wow - that looks great! Thanks for the WIP pics and showing how you pulled off some of the trickier bits ... if I try my hand at a locomotive I'll definitely have to use this as reference.

I suspect it's more like this:

Exactly so. The 1x2x2 slope probably isn't necessary, I'm not sure if my glass is even touching it anywhere other than the bottom, so you could probably replace it with something less conspicuous.

Exactly so. The 1x2x2 slope probably isn't necessary, I'm not sure if my glass is even touching it anywhere other than the bottom, so you could probably replace it with something less conspicuous.

I did use a Bracket 1 x 4 - 1 x 2 (the yellow part) to hold the top inside the cab. I wanted to be able to have the sides open and not replaced with the clear wall panel.

You're doing some great work there, with good techniques to make this as realistic as possible! The angled windshield looks superb and I like it's smoothness :blush:

Now I'm really interested to see how this keeps improving... if there is even space for improvement :wink:

It already looks great :thumbup:

Thank you for posting some shots about the inner structure, there were some new techniques and constructions there.

16504623283_b6756a285f_b.jpg

Top grill. Wedged in there. Looks okay, about a plate too tall though, but not sure if I can get it any shorter. Wish they made 1x3 tiles in dark blue.

Legoman. Your work is awesome and inspiring. Please

Keep you the good work. Please include more wip photosif you dont mind. I may try to emulate your techniques oneday

Legoman. Your work is awesome and inspiring. Please

Keep you the good work. Please include more wip photosif you dont mind. I may try to emulate your techniques oneday

Thanks! I've posted all of my WIP shots of this particular model. Other models I didn't really take any more than are posted in their threads. Here are some more I took of it last night more or less finished:

17129375525_aa05a64f43_b.jpg

17128745361_c64a49a5c0_b.jpg

16941840690_c9ea832e07_b.jpg

17128740651_8bde029d3d_b.jpg

16941831820_0d1500fde5_b.jpg

16943176419_e5a8be05eb_b.jpg

17127799112_eec65976d3_b.jpg

16941863670_7cd89498bd_b.jpg

The decal set I need to finish it is out of stock everywhere :(