Hello everybody!

I've finally found a moment to think about what to build ...unfortunately i'm so busy with university and working that i can't spend too much time on legos :\

anyway this is the plan, even if i still don't know if all of the following points will be possible to achieve :)

5354100001_large.jpg

features:

- 4x4

- Differentials for better cornering

- Lockable rear differential for better offroading (maybe remote controlled?)

- Winch

- RC motors

- adjustable suspensions (maybe)

- high/low ratio gearbox (hopefully)

basically i wanna build a car that performs good enough to be something in between an offroader and a trial car....

i'd love if it could host from 62.4 wheels up to 81 ones wich means that gear ratios should be easy to modify as well

probably ill incorporate the gear reduction directly on the axles if possible...

i was trying the proportions a lil bit but i don't like the rc motors placed that way...

hope you guys are gonna enjoy this project :)

2r40wi1.jpg

Can't wait to see it rolling! How do you make those cool graphics with Lego parts and blueprints? It looks like they help figuring out the bodywork.

Interesting project

How do you merge blueprint and MLCad build? Is this possible to insert blueprint right in the MLcad's view's background ?

oh no guys that's just photoshop :P

btw there's this program called ForeGround Reference Utility wich is an image reader that you can pin always on top with transparency...so you can basically overlay a blueprint over Ldraw

very useful to figure out proportions

OK, thanks. I'm not quite ready for learning Ldraw any time soon, so I think I'll go with the low-tech approach of printing the blueprint to the right size to match live parts :grin:

Seems like a good start! 2 RC motors at this scale? Thats gonna be fast! Also why not attach the front wheels inwards to the hubs?

well i'd like to place the track gear inside the rims to make em look better....but hell yeah, turning them inwards would make such a better steering pivot point!

basically i hope two RC motors will be enough to provide all the power it needs in every situation...

i think that if i'll be able to add a gearbox as well ratios will be 1:2 for fast gear and 1:4 for low ratio

and hopefully i can use the fast output of the RC motor for the winch....

gotta try so many things phisically as soon as i get back to rome lol

[uPDATE]

so here's what i have in mind for the gearbox i'm gonna use

i haven't tested it yet but it should work just fine....what does it do? with a single M motor I'll be able to switch from high gear to low...

in case low ratio isn't enough the worm gear, rotating, will press on the blue connector wich is connected to the rear differential lock activating it :)

this system might work with whatever function you want... it's probably really easy making a 3g sequential gearbox with that :)

hope you'll like it :)

2hxli5d.jpg

Do you even need a gearbox for such light model? I think a simple 12:20 on-axle gear ratio would be almost enough.

oh yeah you're obviously right about that but I wanna push the limit of what a lego car can achieve!

in my dreams this pickup will be one of the most versatile mocs at this scale... id want it to be fast and also to be powerful enough to climb a steep hill, id want it to go in the snow using tracks instead of wheels, id wanna be able to lock the rear differential so it can get out of unglorious situations :P

hopefully i'll be able to do it :D

oh well, front differential wasn't even in doubt after seeing how my suzuki samurai was turning lol :laugh:

front axle done :)

but i might build another car with this axle first

the problem with this pickup is that two RC motors will look so awkward inside the cockpit...i have to do some tests first with a simpler car just to see how good they'll perform :)

jh8neh.jpg

Won't that diff & tan gear click under stress? Center of structure seems open enough to flex and let them skip. Otherwise looks great, I'm always impressed with your super-compact designs :classic:

no actually it wont :P even if you cant tell from the pic i'm using this part here :)

4610379-large.jpg

Do you even need diffs?

of course i do :P it definitely needs to run smooth in corners

But a front differential is much more needed for turning ability than rear.

oh well, front differential wasn't even in doubt after seeing how my suzuki samurai was turning lol :laugh:

You should make the rear diff lockable, that would be very cool!

features:

- 4x4

- Differentials for better cornering

- Lockable rear differential for better offroading (maybe remote controlled?)

:tongue:

How about springs? I just started working on a similar vehicle (same wheels, same motors & batteries, similar size) but it's my first time... I'm not sure 1 hard shock will be soft enough for long-travel soft suspension (front), so I tried with 2 soft shocks but it seems too soft. I'm attaching them to the first whole in the 8070 arms.