All,

I am trying to build the core structure of a Cadillac Eldorado Biarriz 1959. As it's a convertible the chassis needs to be very strong as I have no roof to support it and the door should open up. So except for the center 3 studs, the chassis can only be 2 studs high, especially in the center where the seat are.

I have created a structure that works ok for now, but seems quite "solid" and require a lot of beams.

Anybody any ideas on how to make it as stiff as possible while potentially reducing number of parts needed?

Top View

800x450.jpg

640x431.jpg

Update 21-04-2014

800x450.jpg

The front shape is starting to look like the real thing. Next step the bonnet.....

Update 30-04-2015. Bonnet and dashboard are ready, lights and motor wiring all routed to the back, time to model the backside section!! :sweet: :sweet:

800x516.jpg

Edited by martijnnab

Try 5x7 frames with long beams on top and bottom, like you have now. They are more rigid than a middle layer made of beams. You can also use the seats themselves as a structural element.

Try 5x7 frames with long beams on top and bottom, like you have now. They are more rigid than a middle layer made of beams. You can also use the seats themselves as a structural element.

Tried that and was confident it would work, but actually I can`t get it as strong as the first version:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Probable cause is that I can make less vertical connections due to less holes in the 5x7. Under heavy load the beams split apart then. The original (upper) version cannot be "disassembled", even if I bend it with both hands at the ends....

Edited by martijnnab

I tried it here, here are the results with 960 mL juice boxes:

IMG_20150406_101351.jpg

Here is the structure as seen from the top:

IMG_20150406_101433.jpg

The structure should be mounted upside-down from what you see here if you decide to use it.

It still has a bit of flex to it and I don't think you can eliminate it. That being said, it can be reinforced by adding the body of the car. The weak point will be the door openings, but you can reinforce that section with the center console stretching under the seats and by adding another layer of beams at the door openings, just like the picture of the real car shows. I get the impression that the final product can be quite rigid, but not by having a separate chassis and body.

Wow, that structure is really strong and would get the job done.

The thing is that I don't want the top layer to be more then 3 sections wide to mimic the real drive train column as present in the real car. The rest should be as flat as possible, especially where the seats are not present.

The grey section as well as on top of the motors is where the seats will be.

800x450.jpg

Thanks for you effort and any further improvements or adaptation are welcome.

Martijn

Edited by martijnnab

The old school studful technic beams are super rigid. I was thinking of using those at one point to make my chassis more stiff.

The first glimps of a real Cadillac is starting to emerge from the beam. Getting the front grill right what quite tough, but necessary to get it right as it is one of the signature features.

800x450.jpg

Next step, the bonnet, and then still the whole huge back section, so still lot's of work to be done.

The first glimps of a real Cadillac is starting to emerge from the beam. Getting the front grill right what quite tough, but necessary to get it right as it is one of the signature features.

800x450.jpg

Next step, the bonnet, and then still the whole huge back section, so still lot's of work to be done.

Looks great!

It's looking pretty sweet, especially the front grill and the seats. Are you using the chassis you showed or did it change again?

Wow, this is surely looking like it's going to be pretty awesome when it's done! Love the grille and the way you made the curved side of the "bonnet" above the wheels!

It's looking pretty sweet, especially the front grill and the seats. Are you using the chassis you showed or did it change again?

I used the chassis of 3 studs wide (my original). It is stong enough to hold it whole together.

The build is going pretty good. I am progressing at a steady pace. The front is close to finished!!

1024x661.jpg

Well, as my first message on this forum I have just one thing to say : Awesome!!

I surely hope you are going to be doing instructions for this one :blush: