Sign in to follow this  
Jreacher

Advice on my next castle build... To leave the back open or closed?

I am thinking about making another castle.... However I am torn on what to do.

My current castle is modular, each section of the keep lifts of to view the rooms inside.

However If I was to build another castle I could make the castle a little bigger If I left the back of the castle open. Basically 3 walls then a keep with an open back... or I could just make it 4 walls with a closed back and smaller... What have you guys found looks good when making castles?

I would say it just depends how big it is, what the outside will look like, and it's purpose.

When I build smaller things like castle walls, I usually leave the back open if it's only meant to be seen from one side. If it is something humongous like Ecclesisates' castle, you might need to add another wall. Another thing to consider is the landscaping around it. And where are you going to put it?

These are all things to consider :classic:

I'm always for a closed back castle. It makes it seem to be a lot more realistic. Could we possibly see some pictures of the one you have now? :)

I started with the usual 4 walls (lifting the different levels) but in the end you don't really get to the lower levels.

Playability improves when you leave the back open.

The castle in my signature is using 3 walls.

I love Lego-style builds where you can play and reaange stuff inside!

How about...mixing it? Some parts of castle are open for people to see insides?

I'm always for a closed back castle. It makes it seem to be a lot more realistic. Could we possibly see some pictures of the one you have now? :)

Thats the current one.

I am thinking of building a town around the castle, I want to incorporate kingdoms joust into the town as well. I might re-make the castle with different style walls and a keep with just 3 walls.

Ill do some looking around here for ideas and inspiration.

Hinged castles are great. Removable wall sections are another way, but then you have to add more support structures. I also like removable roofs. I had long planned a great full realistic castle build, with complete interiors, but that is a massive undertaking with some high costs. I wish you luck in your endevor.

How about building a hinged castle? Best of both worlds.

hmmm...... I am about to go look to see how many hinges I can find... haha I actually really like that idea.

I could use hinges, and when its open the rock base could be a dungeon. that would be cool.... I am about to go to my lego room and look stuff over.

I have seen castles that have walls that pull out of the castle, it doesn't require hinges and it looks really cool

You can always make it modular and use some "hinge" pieces to open up some of the lower levels? :wink:

Edited by Cyberbricker

All good ideas thanks.

I dont have enough hinge pieces in my collection, so im gonna skip that idea for now. I think I might go open back, with some modular elements. Like maybe an open back keep, and then make the gatehouse modular....