Roebuck

LEGO Annual Zoo set

Since 2007 we have had an annual set in the extremely popular modular buildings series, since 2009 an annual winter village set and last year we probably saw the start of an annual fair set! Is it not about time that we saw the start of an annual zoo set aimed at older kids and adults :grin: I think a series like that would have a huge potential. Each set could contain one or two animal enclosures with a landscape similar to where the animals live in the wild, in addition to visitors, pathways and related stuff outside the enclosures. Sure Lego would have to make one or two new animal moulds for each set, but most of them they will probably be able to use in other themes sooner or later :wink:

Just to be clear about one thing, Duplo-, friends- or brick built animals is not part of this dream theme :tongue:

Do you think it is a good idea and would you buy it if Lego released it? :classic:

I would really love that.

It would be like the game zoo-tycoon in Lego.

And every great town needs a zoo!

Edited by AlcoEmmen

For me (assuming they were designed a decent standard), any sets with new animals in would be my highest priority each year. I have always been jealous of Playmobil due to their abundance of animals available.

My only concern would be if Lego would be hesitant to release a zoo set due to any negative association with wild animals in captivity. However, they do this with Duplo. I suppose the sets could come with a booklet advocating endangered species or breeding programmes approved by the World Wildlife Fund or something.

I am annoyed the Prince of Persia camel and ostrich never found its way into Lego's own brand products. I didn't buy these sets due to my reluctance to fund licensed sets, which I personally feel is taking the soul and creativity out of Lego. Anyhow, whether Lego finally gives us some zoo sets or not, I hope some City subtheme is released in the near future which contains animals - perhaps a wildlife explorers line where some adventurer-types explore the Savannah, the Amazon rainforest and the Outback. Hippos, rhinos, giraffes, kangaroos, flamingos, blue macaws, sea lions, koalas and toucans please (but like the OP says - not brick built, except the upper half of the hippos could be separated from the legs to give a wallowing effect when fixed to a blue baseplate.

Edited by lifeinplastic

I would like to see more animals as well. I've had an idea to create a circus train in Lego and been limited by the lack of animals in the proper scale. I have been less resistant to get the friends animal sets, I have penguins, squirrels, bunnies and foxes from the recent sets.

I have to say, I see a possible Friends-style animal rescue theme as much more likely than a zoo. This is largely because the habitats in modern zoos are a lot like the animals' natural habitats--and, given a choice between a scene with vets/explorers and a scene with spectators, I think Lego would choose the more action-packed one. I'd love a theme like this, though, as it would be easy to convert to a zoo.

That'd be awesome, and it's becoming more and more possible- LEGO has already started two new annual D2C series since last year- the Fairground series and The Simpsons series.

Ever since I fell in love with LEGO as a kid (around the early 90s) I have dreamed a zoo theme!!! Even any sort of animal back then was amazing to me, the sharks and crocodiles and then later the dolphins through the paradiso sets!! And when I came out of my dark age, the dog and cat moulds (especially the newer cat moulds) I was absolutely in heaven!!!

So yes, a zoo theme would be awesome! And I think most zoos nowadays really promote a much healthier life in captivity than they used to. Many animals which will likely be extinct in the coming decade or two (due to human destruction of habitat 99.9% of the cases) will only be surviving in zoos from then on, they will become an extremely important educational tool for generations to come. And while enclosures, breeding programs and enrichment are all being developed in new ways for zoos to replicate natural environments and behaviours, this is probably the new golden age for zoos and a good time for LEGO to jump on the band wagon to not only make some money, but reinforce the higher importance which zoos and wildlife parks will play in the future of the natural world. Although it is unfortunate that some these animals will only live in captivity, at least there will still be some at all.

I'd love to see some 'natural' exhibits recreated in LEGO for all sorts of animals... So fingers crossed :classic:

While I'd love to see a Lego Zoo set (my som loves the Duplo ones), count me amongst the "traditionalists" who prefers as few molds as possible. The more customized the molds, the fewer interchangable/creative opportunities - generally speaking.

We already have monkeys, aligators, horses, bulls (to name just a few off the top of my head). I'd personally love to see a Lego Zoo that has as few "new animal" molds as possible, and instead does some brick-built animals. Lego has shown a clever knack for a variety of brick-built birds (Creator series comes to mind), so I'm sure they could do well with similarly brick built zoo animals.

The fact that Lego hasn't done zoo sets outside of Duplo is perhaps the most baffling omission I can think of. I've been wondering when they would make one for 20 years now. My family were members of our local zoo when I was in the prime Lego demographic and we visited it multiple times per year. And what did I see when I was there? Kids everywhere, all having a great time. Definitely an appealing theme, and since it is untried, who knows how people would respond. Look at Friends, that was a big gamble for them but it's paying off. .

They won't do zoos until they figure out a way to include helicopters.

There's a very easy way of including a helicopter:

Seaworld on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia, although not technically a zoo, has scenic flights above the peninsula which it occupies.

And every zoo should have a police booth and fire truck on stand by right....?

A zoo theme would be fantastic, been waiting for it to happen... And I have a feeling it will never will :(.

I still don't understand why they don't give it a go. Playmobil (sorry) has had a zoo/safari team for as long as I can remember, and are now even starting to sell polybags with just some animals or trees and rocks, so it must be paying off...

Sorry to bump this topic, but I recently put through a similar idea to Lego about them doing a potential zoo series. I received an email back saying that while it was an adorable idea, they feel that it would be more successful in their duplo range. Then gave me the link to the duplo around the world range

2016's flagship theme: ZOO POLICE.

Don't forget to include a bunch of pickpockets robbing the zoo visitors and some animals' thieves (somebody has to provide Lego pet shops)

If they wanted to go with a more action-packed angle, they could do a Safari series. You could have a Safari Jeep, a Helicopter for moving animals to other enclosures maybe, things like that. There could also be a vet on location, possibly built into a van.

Then the theme's big set would be the Safari Zoo with a few enclosures, a vehicle and a small gift shop or restaurant. It could have some action features like the ability to super-jump monkeys at your guests. :laugh:

Edited by AnnaBuildsLego

Safari (or wild life preservation) could definitely be a City sub theme as a successor of last year's Arctic exploration and this year's volcano researcher with plenty of opportunities for including all sorts of vehicles and play features.

Safari (or wild life preservation) could definitely be a City sub theme as a successor of last year's Arctic exploration and this year's volcano researcher with plenty of opportunities for including all sorts of vehicles and play features.

+1

I loved Zoo Tycoon so a zoo theme would be cool especially if they designed it to raise awareness for endangered animals.

We've never gotten a proper lego big cat such as a lion or a tiger and a zoo theme would definitely include one of them.

The more I think about this, the more I want it to be real! The sets needn't be too large either but just like the modular series, there would be lots of speculation and excitement each year as to which new animals would feature. One thing I don't like about City subthemes currently is that (aside from Police and Fire) they only feature for a half year wave of releases, often never to be seen again. Therefore if we had a zoo City subtheme we'd get it once (perhaps 4 sets in total) and then possibly nothing more for another 20 years! Having an annual release would allow new animals to be featured every year with only a couple of new moulds required per annum rather than all at once.

A zoo would also cover all world wildlife so wouldn't need to limit the range of animals which could feature. The set could have two or three enclosures to allow for some buildings and could also mix new moulds with existing moulds like the ostrich, camel, chimp and rumoured series 16 penguins. My Top 10 wishes would be for hippos, zebras, rhinos, flamingos, koalas, llamas, sea lions, kangaroos, giraffes & sloths.

I also think that the forthcoming 'Fun In The Park' will be quite popular this year partly due to the new torsos included so a zoo theme could continue the concept of introducing new civilian minifigures as zoo guests and cover all bases (elderly folk, children...). I'd also like the Zoo to have a regular logo like the trains, Octan, farm and the postal service... oh, and pleeeeeease no stickers!!!!

Edited by lifeinplastic

I can't wrap my brain around this one either. Ever since i've been around with Lego bricks there have been sets including animals, up until serious farm sets. I could easily picture a zoo series starting with small sets getting bigger and a very tempting to get big set on top! I would love to see just the ( newly designed? ) baseplates. Hmmm...