Ragnar

Metalbeard Halloween Costume 2014

As avowning long-time steam-punk and one of the founders of the austrian steampunk-community I instantly fell in love with Metalbeard's robo-pirate design. I already made loads of costumes before but this was my first attempt on working with EVA-foam (Ethylene-vinyl acetate).

First of all I needed some patterns, so I made 3D-models using fotographs of the original LEGO-pieces as reference. After that I dissected the models into their single surfaces, unfolded them and arranged the on multiple pages for printing. Next I transferred the cut-out paper pattern onto the surface of my foam-sheets, sawed them out on an electric scroll saw and ground some of the 90 degrees edges to slopes with a disc grinder. Afterwards I thermo-formed some of the pieces with a heat gun and bent them into their final shape. After I had all the components I needed, I glued them together with a hot glue gun and finally painted the props with acrylic paint. To make the beard wearable I attached a leather-strap on its inside which would later be covered by the bicorne. Finally I made a matching eyepatch out of leather (also using some fotographs as reference).

halloween_costume_2014_by_steam_heart-d8alsmc.jpg

The picture was taken at the LEGO-Store Donauzentrum (Vienna/Austria).

You can find more pictures of the single objects in my cosplay folder on my homepage.

Thanks! :sweet:

Adding a plush-shark is a great idea! :laugh:

...although it was supposed to be the "Minifig" version of metalbeard (as seen in his narration).

This is fantastic. The overall costume is great, but the big flame plume got to be my favourite part.

Thank you! It's a separate piece, so you can rotate it or take it off if you like... :wink:

Edited by Ragnar

That is so cool and so creative! I love Halloween (my favorite holiday over Christmas actually!) and I really love to see people taking the time and effort to make their costume unique! :)

What a lovely post!! I am glad that you shared the photographs of this Halloween Costume. I will also be hosting a halloween party this year and looking forward to your post regarding party preparations. I want this party to be the best halloween party nyc!