Sign in to follow this  
Raskolnikov

Differently colored A-wings (sort of based on McQuarrie concept art)

Looks good! The anhedral angle you added really makes a difference. Could you show us some pics of how you did that? I have three A-Wings and I really want to mod them further.

Yeah, I can try to take some more pics when I get home. I thought that doing the angle would be easy but it ended up being quite difficult to figure out how to do it without leaving much of a gap. Hopefully if I post how I did it someone can show me a much easier way that I didn't think of.

Edit: Actually, the last picture sort of shows how I did it. If you look closely, you can just see one of the 2x2 technic pieces with studs on top that that connects to pins on either side. It's connected to a pin to the right of it, where you can't see. To the left of that are gray pieces, which actually are clips. So the technic pin makes the connection pretty sturdy, and the clips prevent the "wings" from being able to move upwards. The "wings" also can't move downward because, as you can see, there are white angular plates below them, holding them in place.

Overall, though, the difficulty of adding the angle -- and the fact that it doesn't change the outward appearance all that much -- is sort of making me want to just ditch all the long slopes used by the set version and try something entirely new to make the fighter wider. I can't make this one wider without ditching the large, white angled slopes in the front.

Edited by Raskolnikov

Looks pretty, it is nice that you have tilted the sides of the core to make it look more true to

the original model.

-Samppu

Anyway, here is a set of pictures -- or confusing "directions" -- that sort of show how it's made, if anyone's curious: http://imgur.com/a/1u5IM

Thank you! I'll be sure so emulate this on mine. When I get a chance, I'll post some of the pics here.

Nicely done! I'm in the middle of making a blue A-wing at the moment too, based off Jerac's excellent MOC. It isn't the prototype version though, just a regular canon one in blue livery. It's only half done and it already looks amazing, Jerac really is an incredibly skilled builder.

Yeah, I've been looking at that one. It's definitely a fantastic build -- really captures the shape and proportions in an accurate way. I'm tempted to try to reverse engineer it from the pictures but I think I'd rather move onto something else -- got lots of very incomplete projects and little time. This one only took a single night to build, so that's probably why it's one of the few things I've finished. I wasn't really setting out to make an A-wing, either, I just managed to pick up another A-wing set for like $15 (couldn't pass up the price) and figured I'd just make a blue version. I already had both the red and green. So I bought a few pieces that I thought I'd need (like the blue slopes), and when they came in the mail yesterday I tinkered with it, wondering what it'd look like if you angled the "wing" parts.

I thought it came out good enough to share but -- at the same time -- I think I learned the lesson that there's no easy way to modify the set that would make it look drastically better. It still looks pretty similar, and I messed around with the angle on the "wings" for hours. So I think you're probably on the right track if you're planning to go "full Jerac" on your A-wing.

Thank you! I'll be sure so emulate this on mine. When I get a chance, I'll post some of the pics here.

Looking forward to it!

Edited by Raskolnikov

Nice mod. If you want to make it more like McQuarrie you could make the sides grey. I have always loved his concept A-Wing and the light grey/blue combination also reminds me of vintage lego space sets.

Nicely done! I'm in the middle of making a blue A-wing at the moment too, based off Jerac's excellent MOC. It isn't the prototype version though, just a regular canon one in blue livery. It's only half done and it already looks amazing, Jerac really is an incredibly skilled builder.

I've been doing exactly the same thing although it has been sitting half finished in a drawer for months!

Nice mod. If you want to make it more like McQuarrie you could make the sides grey. I have always loved his concept A-Wing and the light grey/blue combination also reminds me of vintage lego space sets.

Yeah, that'd be cool. I got a lot of white pieces in the set, though. If I ever try to do a more in-depth A-wing build, doing a gray one would be an interesting way to differentiate it from others that are out there, like Jerac's.

I've been doing exactly the same thing although it has been sitting half finished in a drawer for months!

I know the feeling. I think "hey, wouldn't it be cool to build ___," then I start thinking about it and ordering pieces. But actually sitting down and finishing something seems to elude me.

Wow, nice work! :thumbup:

This must be the first time I see a blue A-wing MOC and I really like the looks of it!

Definitely one of the finer mocs I have seen dealing with the A-wing also I browse your account and found out an instructions on the A-wing your kindness will be appreciated! :wink:

Some of the concept art for season 2 of Rebels includes differently coloured A-Wings and Pilots with different coloured flight suits. Hopefully we'll see a lego version at some point later in the year.