I haven't posted any of my own content recently due to lack of time and ideas, but about a month ago my last attempt at a high speed vehicle was sitting on my desk, partially disassembled, when I got a spark in my mind and I knew exactly what to do. Previously I made multiple failed attempts at making a complex independent suspension work, but I couldn't get a practical result without modifying parts, which I wanted to avoid. So this time around I went for a solid axle with 4 link suspension. I spent a long time building and rebuilding the car until I got a balance of power, weight, and strength that I was happy with. Apart from a couple pieces I forgot to add here and there, this is the final build:

dscn2540.jpg

I could have gone for lower weight, but the reinforcements were necessary to bring the chassis flex to a minimum, letting the suspension do its job.

dscn2541.jpg

dscn2542.jpg

The car barely bottoms out under full compression, but I doubt this will happen out on the road. The higher clearance and lack of u-joints should reduce the risk of damaging parts.

dscn2543.jpg

The rear wheels are driven by two buggy motors each, acting as an electronic differential. Since the motors are DC motors, this system will never be perfect, but it's as good as it gets.

dscn2544.jpg

dscn2545.jpg

The only modified lego pieces on this build are the pneumatic cylinders (now act as dampened shocks) and the wheelhubs

(made by nicjasno at LPEpower )

dscn2546.jpg

The front suspension is independent multilink, my own blend of various ideas I got from nicjasno's

dscn2547.jpg

dscn2549.jpg

Standard servo steering. I lubricated the large ball joints on the upper 'wishbones' to reduce friction.

dscn2551.jpg

dscn2554.jpg

dscn2555.jpg

Nice and smooth underside, which also adds to the structural rigidity (note the numerous pins)

dscn2556.jpg

Another look at the multilink setup in action

dscn2557.jpg

dscn2558.jpg

I've already tested this model on the road, and it performs very well, but I won't be making a video until I receive an order of 4 brand new custom wheel hubs, as the current set have experienced some serious wear and tear over the past year thanks to my punishing tests :grin:

If you are new or aren't familiar with my previous projects, this chassis is powered by a near 12 volt battery and a 3rd party RC system that I made work with Lego motors. Multiple people have asked why I don't build bodywork for any of these large scale vehicles, and to be honest, I really enjoy building the chassis, while bodywork is...meh. I could get better with practice, but I simply don't want to spend time perfecting a body, and the extra weight would reduce the play factor, unless I become a wizard with flex axles :laugh:. I think this model is the ultimate balance of speed, moderate realism, and weight, (within my building style) so I don't see myself making anything new soon with my other hobbies and work taking up most of my time. Special thanks to nicjasno for the tips on the front suspension, and for making the LPEpower parts/show. :classic:

Feel free to leave any comments/criticisms/ideas for a new project. Enjoy!

Edited by z3_2drive

The only problem I have with it is how large the body is- even if you tried to put a body on it the top parts stick up too high.

Probably, though some old generation muscle cars could fit the dimensions if flex axles are used.

This thing looks beastly! What is its top speed?

I've never done an official speed test, but this was the previous version of my high speed chassis to give you an idea: