Murdoch17

Large Railway Locomotive shed - open sided style

This railway shed was inspired by Shaun Baseby. (alias: Lightningtiger or "LT") He designed the basic frame on this shed with one of his town buildings, and I ran with it.

16793790270_b880298dd3_z.jpg

The platform in the center is low enough 8 wide trains can drive by, but only barely. This model was inspired by the Roberts Building at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, Missouri... now all it needs is a clock tower in the center!

16361159163_2a5eb1b89a_z.jpg

side view. The model itself is 5 tracks long, but sits on a 32 x 96 stud base-plate (that's three 32 x 32's put together)

16793534218_33b763e472_z.jpg

This photo shows how tall the shed is. That's the Southern Pacific 4-8-4 Daylight number 4460 & my Brick Railway Systems 2-10-4 "Texas" number 6297 in there. The engines are also my longest to date, and they fit inside with room to spare. (The Daylight and / or Texas type are NOT included in the LDD file, by the way) And yes,set set 10014 Caboose can fit under this as well.

LDD file: http://www.mocpages....1427740513m.lxf

Comments welcome!

I'd be concerned with the roofs weight pushing the walls apart. Not sure if it's heavy enough to be a problem though.

It doesn't seem to be that heavy, and anyway the walls are Technic axled together. (plus the only connection to the gray panels is at the hinges at the top) The only part I would be worried is the base plate: the shed could come off the quite easily, but the rest should stay together quite well.

This actually looks pretty good for how simple it is. How accurate is the geometry on the roof? It looks like there's a bit of play around the number connector at the top?

I really like it.. it would also be very practical, as it prevents your trains from getting a layer of dust....!! It has a nice Industrial look and it seems to be very realistic!! Hope to see it in real bricks soon!

Dam, my cover is blown ! :laugh:

Gee, I had that idea about two or more years ago.......it might make a come back in the future.

Great work expanding my design 'Murdoch17'......I always wondered how it would long as a huge shed.

Brick On LDD On 'Murdoch17' ! :grin:

This actually looks pretty good for how simple it is. How accurate is the geometry on the roof? It looks like there's a bit of play around the number connector at the top?

I think it's pretty solid, but you will have to ask Lightningtiger about it to be sure, as I don't have this one built. (I've already got two sheds, including one that is bigger than this, so I probably won't built it in real life anytime soon.)

I really like it.. it would also be very practical, as it prevents your trains from getting a layer of dust....!! It has a nice Industrial look and it seems to be very realistic!! Hope to see it in real bricks soon!

Thank you, but it currently is not in the plans to be built in real life... maybe someday.

Dam, my cover is blown ! :laugh:

Gee, I had that idea about two or more years ago.......it might make a come back in the future.

Great work expanding my design 'Murdoch17'......I always wondered how it would long as a huge shed.

Brick On LDD On 'Murdoch17' ! :grin:

Thank you for inspiring me!

Very cool

Thanks!

Edited by Murdoch17

Cool design! i love it.

LDD link doesn't work :wacko: can you post a new one?

I'm looking forward to build this.

Cool design! i love it.

LDD link doesn't work :wacko: can you post a new one?

I'm looking forward to build this.

MOC pages is down, so until it's up again, it won't work. :sceptic:

NIce shed. It looks very good and realistic this one. A pity you won't build it in real bricks.

I just don't have the space. Maybe someday, I'll revisit it, but until then I do have a shed of the same size already built:

16732678168_afd041355d_z.jpg

I just need to take "real" photos of it now.

I like it :) Might have to see if I can find room on the layout for one of these!

Go for it! I'd love to see it in real bricks!

Edited by Murdoch17

Very nice, practical shed. What pieces are used for the roof?

When the larger LEGO pieces are used in abundance, that's where the details will stand out on a finished model - I can see adding a lot more detail to the inside to make the MOC really pop on a layout.

Very nice, practical shed. What pieces are used for the roof?

When the larger LEGO pieces are used in abundance, that's where the details will stand out on a finished model - I can see adding a lot more detail to the inside to make the MOC really pop on a layout.

Thank you! If you mean the gray roofed shed, they are 8 x 16 tiles.