TakeaBrick

LEGO frustrations

Desires are unbound yet budgets are finite.

Given the money and space constraints(though I am sure there are other factors in play for others), we all brickers have to refrain ourselves from getting certain sets. Gradually, at least for me, the unfulfilled cravings turn into some extents of frustration even I have tried to come up with ways to tackle it, like MOCing out the retired dream sets (Yes, 2006-2008 Classic Batman, I am talking about you) instead of buying them at those unholy prices, prioritizing the sets I really want,... . Yet, I still find those measures to be not as effective as I thought. I simply just don't have enough bricks or money for me to have those beautiful sets. The moment I lay my eyes on those sets, all desires break loose.Excitement is pumping through my whole body along with the blood, but all of a sudden the thought of a shrinked wallet just put a hold on it all. All those repressions and frustrations are cooking up in my body. There seems to be an implosion coming up.

So, my question is: how do you all brickers channel out all these negative feelings which are actually and ironically stemming from LEGO? I know some of you may even have wife/girlfriend issues. Feel free to share your opinion!

Build a MOC that looks enough like the coveted set that I feel a bit better about missing it is the best solution I have found. While it isn't quite the same (and there isn't the minifigures either) I am happy to know I am not constrained like the set designer when making something like the set. After all, they have to consider LEGO rules for building, part counts and the fact that kids are to build and play with them.

Plus they sometimes return in another form if you are patient!

My boyfriend gets fed up of how much money I spend and how I steal the dining table for building, and won't put it away when he's made dinner.

MOCs are the single best distraction for the "I gotta have set XXXXX" ...... right until I realize the pieces I want to use to finsh my MOC properly are in a set that either is discontinued or just as much as the one im trying not to buy... now I've got 2 sets to go buy to appease the Lego craving, and I usually do :look: plus a polybag, and maybe a completely other set I didn't know I liked till I got to the store.

Actually the real best way to avoid spending on Lego is to have something else to spend it on that isn’t optional (food, kids, car issues, other life costs) and when you come up short on one of those because you bought that new UCS set, or rare older set you learn quick to prioritize more appropriately.

Maybe MOC the sets you want and buy bricks as cheap as possible.

Lego can be addictive. Bricks are small and inexpensive on their own and it's easy to get swept in collecting bricks and sets. It's kinda like Magic the Gathering, CCGs, or sports cards, because the collection can be very vast quickly. But even though Lego is also art, it doesn't behave like normal art in terms of supplies. A brick is a very reusable item and that's what helps make bricks seem so simple and easy to manage.

My advice would be appreciate every brick you have. As Lego always says you can make a myriad of things just from a handful of bricks.

I'm gonna go a different direction and mention how frustrating it is to drop a drawer or tray of small parts and have them scatter all over the floor. Especially since they tend to go underneath a couch or something. Definitely encourages me to clean the floors more.

In terms of saving money I try to ask myself if the set will both be fun to build and have a good amount of useful MOCing parts. I try to discourage myself from buying sets that just look cool on the shelf but aren't really the parts I need to re-purpose.

My main constraints are money and storage space. I've gotten a lot better about not buying a set just because it looks cool or it's on a good sale, primarily because my Lego collection has overtaken a good portion of my bedroom. Now I have a wishlist, both for Lego sets and for Lego parts/minifigures, and for the sets I think carefully about whether or not I want them (are they in a theme I collect? do I really want the set or do I just really want the minifigs? what parts are in there and will they be useful to me outside the set?). For parts from Bricklink I make sure I have a purpose in mind for them. They typically are sorted by MOC in-progess list (Hogwarts Mega Castle, Ninja House, and Victorian Modular), so that way I'm not just buying whatever I fancy at the time.

When I really need to restrain myself from buying something, I imagine an earthquake and how many pounds of bricks I will then be buried under (assuming my bedroom floor doesn't collapse). Currently my collection eclipses me in terms of weight, though doesn't quite double me yet. So, probably painful but not yet lethal. I hope.

When I really need to restrain myself from buying something, I imagine an earthquake and how many pounds of bricks I will then be buried under (assuming my bedroom floor doesn't collapse). Currently my collection eclipses me in terms of weight, though doesn't quite double me yet. So, probably painful but not yet lethal. I hope.

This is probably the most funny and interesting rationale to combat excessive Lego spending. My collection is so small, it would probably only annoy me by being accidentally stepped following an earthquake. Though I was reading about how hoarders have an increased risk of inducing flash fires, so maybe I'll think of that when I want to buy something unnecessary.

Wales isn't knows for earthquakes!

One very frustrating thing is this: a large and unsorted collection is impossible to work with.

Buy current minifigs and build something inspired by what you missed. Chances are it will be better than the official set.

Wait for Christmas.

Nah, just joking, MOCing is good, very rewarding when you've been working on a model and it turns out unexpectedly well! LDD is also good to just build anything you can think of cos of the unlimited bricks.

It's annoying because on LDD they used to have an option where you could actually purchase your model, something that would come in handy for you I'm sure. I really wish they kept that feature, oh well.

MOCing with only parts you have on hand is very economical and challenging. Using LDD to design your physical MOC is bad since you could accidently use parts not in your collection...and get sucked into BrickLink. :laugh:

MOCing with only parts you have on hand is very economical and challenging. Using LDD to design your physical MOC is bad since you could accidently use parts not in your collection...and get sucked into BrickLink. :laugh:

Start building with a 500LB gorilla of a LUG in a particular area of Lego displays and watch giant sucking sound of BrickLink begin.

I just drown my frustrations with a huge bottle of alcohol. :ugh:

For me at the moment, I'm in the process (of what I consider to be) "building a collection". I'm in a kinda post-dark ages phase in my life.. hopefully. And since I'm not hung up on too many sets (luckily, since there's tons of sweet ones [I mean seriously LEGO, can you slow the f- down a little on the new releases? Jeez...]), I tend to focus on buying sets in colors that interest me more-so. Or utilizing craigslist, as a sort of poor-mans bricklink -_- ..though results may vary.

Plus I might be lucky enough to be able to distract myself with other things outside of LEGO. I also think it can be pretty tough to compete with everything you see online! Sometimes I wonder peoples' secrets, like: "where did they get all those pieces o_O", or, "I wish I had the time to do that!!"

*sighhh*