Sign in to follow this  
Renamed99

Lego motors replacement

Hey

I started looking for ways to make my lego creations faster.

so i thought about replacing medium motors inside motor.

I started looking for 9v motors.

The thing is i am not the electrician guy and I don't understand what work with what.

I found:

http://www.radioshack.com/9vdc-micro-super-high-speed-motor/2730047.html#.VRbrRtw99TA

On that site i found some 7,5v , 6v , 3v motors

So the question is:

Would they actually run with regular lego battery box, would it increse speed and torque and is it worth it?

Nothing from Radio Shack will be of any improvement. You will need to look on sites that specialize in Radio control gear.

I think the better way to approach this is to consider the amount of energy available from the batteries. Since that's a constant, swapping out motors will have a minimal impact on the power available at the output.

I'm sure you can find some motors that are slightly more efficient (less energy lost to heat, friction, vibration and noise) but if you're interested in really boosting the power, consider running the stock motors with a different battery. Be warned that you'll shorten the life of the motor by using a higher voltage.

Yeah the power source is the issue, i have a hobby-grade RC car with a top speed of 45 KPH but it runs on a 7.4 volt battery, it sucks the thing dry in about 30 minutes though. lego battery packs and alkaline batteries have very little capacity and current so they create a severe power bottleneck.

What about lego buggy motor's inside motor, from pictures i can see that it's familiar size to medium motor's

I am not a purist by any means. I think that it is possible to actually fit RC components into Lego builds. This project is almost done. WHen it is I will post how it drives.

Sorry..... I don't know how to post videos anymore. it used to work just fine to click share on youtube and copy the link. But apparently not anymore. If any one knows how to fix this by all means.....

Edited by nerdsforprez

What about lego buggy motor's inside motor, from pictures i can see that it's familiar size to medium motor's

Those motors can run on the regular Lego battery packs, but not at full power. They use the battery in the RC unit to achieve full performance.