Cale

Red Lion 1940's in LEGO

Welcome to Red Lion in the 1940's. My model of the Maryland & Pennsylvania RR's train station and surrounding operations in Red Lion, Pennsylvania in the 1940’s. My largest LEGO build to date and several years of work, and more parts and money than I want to count. A serious attempt to produce a true LEGO model railroad.

16742332887_9b92f8f58b_c.jpgRed Lion Station in LEGO 004 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

You see before you North Main St. and the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad's Red Lion train station. The large white building is the old Red Lion Hotel. The gray building is a duplex home and the red brick building beside it is Young's Store. Stretching out be hid the station is the Ma & Pa's small Red Lion rail yard faculties.

16923737606_4641abd648_c.jpgRed Lion Station in LEGO 005 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

Here is the Ma&Pa's Red Lion station. The main focus of the layout. Your are looking toward the passenger platform at the front of the station with the main line passing in front. The freight rooms are to the rear, the freight dock visible to the right of the photo. This was the heart of the Ma&Pa's operations in town.

8307416045_f759dbd22f_c.jpgMa & Pa Red Lion Station 01 by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

The real red Lion train station station.

Full flickr gallery can be found here. https://www.flickr.c...57651100121668/

Photos from Red Lion. https://www.flickr.c...57650788396267/

So why choose this station, and this era to model? Well it started a few years ago when I was looking for a new project to build for our club’s train layouts. I decided I wanted to build a train station and since i’m very interested in my home town history I started looking at all the train stations that populated York county for the right one. Red Lion stood out to me for many reasons. It combined both passenger and freight operations so there was plenty of opportunity for variety in modeling. It’s also a simpler station architecturally. This allowed me to also model the interior as I didn’t have to waste space inside on complex structure for exterior details. And it was a Maryland & Pennsylvania RR station. A local railroad for which I’m very fond of. And I chose the 1940’s era since it gives me the greatest range of options when modeling Ma & Pa trains. Steam, my favorite subject, was still heavily in use on the Ma&Pa but diesel locomotives were starting to appear as well. Passenger operations were still going strong and freight was as always very plentiful for the RR in the town. It also was a chance for me to concentrate my modeling on bringing to life a single area from a particular era in a fully relized train layout. Something not common in the world of LEGO trains.

I hope you enjoy.

Cale

... speachless... simply speachless. Yet again you have done the impossible... you cannot build that nice of an interior in such a small space, then you slip a full basement in underneath? All sorts of fantastic details, e.g., the lady pouring a saucer of milk. Then you get as close as one can to real bricks with the 1x2 plates. Stupendous!

Very impressive layout. I like how you placed the buildings, so that there aren't only 90 degree angles. And the buildings themselves are great, especially the way you built the walls (grey and white building)

'Cale', that is one cool looking MOC......so many 1x2 tiles for the roof sections........wow, a wonderful Lego copy of the real deal. :thumbup:

Brick On 'Cale' ! :grin:

well,You've been far away from this site for months to strike back with a brilliant work!35.gif

Edited by kpotordm

Superb! The attention to detail is amazing, the interiors fantastic and the whole thing screams "QUALITY BUILD"

Fantastic build!

I am impressed with the amount of detail

The crate you transport the layout in is a wonderful idea.

Thanks for sharing!

This is a fantastic model. I love how everything is at an off angle to the lego standard 90°. And your transport case is also very well thought out.

You have very successfully managed to make your modular look like scale model railroading instead of a glorified toy. Well done! Love the small details like the stream shovel and the one stroke gas engine. I'm still trying to figure out how you did the clapboard siding n the white and grey buildings. Please share! Very, very nice. You must be very proud of the results of your effort.

Fantastic layout, with so many details to look for. I loved how you made the radiators: a little touch of class.

Thank you every one. This project has been quite the labor of love. I had a lot of help from family, friends, and fellow PennLUG members to get here. And I've drawn a ton of inspiration from my fellow builders in the LEGO train community. I hope it serves as inspiration to other LEGO train fans about what can be accomplished in this hobby and how far you can take your fun. And really that is what matters, the enjoyment of LEGO trains. And despite a lot of challenges, overcoming the obstacles and building this layout was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had. I'm glad to see others enjoy it too.

Cale